Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana penalties

I live in Maine, couldnt ya tell?

In this liberal state, it is not a crime to have marijuana unless it is more than 1 3/4 ounces. You can not be arrested for anything under that amount. The suspect gets a civil violation ticket, with a court date. A first time violator,the suspect would go to court, pay a fine, ranging from 200-500 dollars. Thats it, no probation, done and over with. Generally speaking, that will happen 99.9% of the time.

I hear that in other states, you can get locked up and jailed for having just a roach. Im curious to know what other states penalties are for poss. of marijuana? (generally speaking)

Lets say this is a suspect. 20 yrs old, no record, first time in trouble with the law. Whats he looking at for a penalty? Any difference on the penalty say having an "8th", a "quarter", or an "ounce"? Do states have a set amount like we do? I know it all varies, but just generally speaking. Thanks!

Here you can be arrested for a seed. Usually it's just court costs and maybe a short stint of probation for anything under 20, and usually just probation if it's over 20 grams.

Comment

Anything less than a 1/4 pound is a small fine and $76 in court costs. No appearance required. Pay it by check or on-line.

Comment

In Washington State possession of forty grams or less of marihuana is a misdemeanor. Misdemeanors are punishable by not more than 90 days jail and/or $1000 fines.

That's not a typo, the RCW spells it with an "h".

Comment

In North Carolina any amount is arrestable:

Up to 1/2 ounce, simple possession

1/2 ounce to 1 1/2 ounces, aggravated misdemeanor possession

more than 1 1/2 ounces, felony possession w/intent

For a misdemeanor charge, generally speaking the punishment is a fine and costs, sometimes unsupervised or supervised probation. Technically simple possession could result in up to 30 days in jail and aggravated possession up to 120 days, but in reality that only happens to people who either mess up on probation or have very very long records.

In Virginia, anything 1/2 ounce or under is a misdemeanor, 1st offense is an unclassified misdemeanor with a punishment up to 30 days in jail and/or fine. Offender's driver's license is also suspended for six months. Second offense is a class 1 misdemeanor, up to 1 year in jail and/or $2500 fine, plus the license suspension. I've seen defendants in VA get active jail time for possession on second or subsequent offense, the longest sentence I saw was 30 days.

Over 1/2 ounce is felony possession with intent.
          -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

In Missouri anything over 35 grams is a felony, and any amount y is chargable
            guy 1: No, man, I'm just saying... I'm sayin', if-if you own beachfront property, right, do you own, like, the sand and the water?

guy 2: Nobody owns the water. God owns - it's God's water.

Comment

Depends...

Generally a cite for small (personal use) amounts will result in a fine. If you are driving a car, however, you could be cited for posession while operating a motor vehicle. Still just a fine, but it will appear on your DMV record for 7 years and will probably result in higher insurance costs....

I had a judge once in Compton Court bust a 5 Kilo brick of marijuan to "Personal Use", believing the defendant's "Costco Defense" - he buys in bulk to save money.... But hey, that was Compton Court, if it didn't result in at least 32 sutures, it wasn't a felony assault
              Last edited by andy5746; 09-20-2008, 01:31 AM.
              LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Had a guy with almost 800 pounds get probation!

First timer... can you guess which state?

Comment

Less than an ounce is a petty offense with a fine of $100. It gets worse as you go up in amounts. More than 1oz. but less than 8oz. is a misdemeanor, more than 8oz. is a felony. If its a second offense, the misdemeanor becomes a felony.

Comment

its just a violation fine is less than a speeding ticket, and way more paper work. which is why i just dump it and not arrest.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                      Had a guy with almost 800 pounds get probation!

First timer... can you guess which state?
                      Cali?
                      "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

In MD it $1000 fine and/or 1 year. One could receive this for a roach, but no one does. First time offenders are usually offered a Drug Diversion class with the charge placed on the stet docket until the class is completed. 2nd time offenders seem to get unsupervised probation, or are allowed to plea to a paraphernalia charge. A 3rd time offender may get weekend jail. This of course would be in a more liberal county near DC or Baltimore. Out weat and on the Eastern Shore the judges seem to be more strict.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4368 users online. 274 members and 4094 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X