Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"What's the easiest....??"

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "What's the easiest....??"

    I know none sworn also read this section, but i'm posing this question to my sworn brothers and sisters.....

    Don't you all get tired of coming on this website and see so many potential candidates/future officers asking what is the easiest way for them to get into law enforcement. It seems everyone wants the most forgiving, lowest physical standards, easiest department in the country to GIVE them a job.

    I'm sure most of us have busted our asses to get where we are today. I'm young but still worked towards my career, and applied for one of the toughest agencies to get onto my first try. If it's not a challenge, it's not worth doing, atleast to me.

    I am more than happy to answer questions for those that do not know, or understand something. But my goodness, I hope I was never like that when applying.

    Anyways, just a small rant. So to take up server space with this!
    "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

    Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

  • #2
    I didn't ask any advice when I started applying. I didn't want the attention. I just wanted to slide in unnoticed. I'm certainly not that way now, but when you're 21 and a girly girl, you know you're about to hear all sorts of rations of crap. I've never cared what others thought if I knew I was doing what was right for me...why start now.

    It annoys me more to see those that proclaim to be LEO telling prospective LEO to fudge, forget or flat out lie on backgrounds. This profession can be difficult enough; we tend to be judged already as a group instead of individually, and here we have those presenting themselves to be Officers with less than stellar advice.

    I would hope the majority of those wanting to seek a career in this job have already learned that not everyone is fit to wear a shield. This profession has a way of weeding those out.

    My constant advice to others entering this job is that no matter what, never allow your integrity to be called into question. Your actions might have been wrong, but your intent should be unquestionable. Honesty is always the best policy.
    sigpic

    I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm all for giving a helping hand, but I'll be damned if I'm going to help somebody slide by
      Today's Quote:

      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

      Comment


      • #4
        Omega, I think our location is a HUGE part of the problem. The general concensus out there is Arizona is the LEO hiring capital of the country. Sure, we are un-godly short of people, but that does not mean we lowered our standards for hiring. Word on the street is, if you NEED a JOB, be a cop. I don't think they understand the reality of it all. The issue is simple, all of our major departments, mine included, advertise it as being a simple and easy process to get hired, extremely misleading in my opinion. With all that advertising, people tend to believe we are desperate enough to take anybody.

        I have posted in many areas, and I have no issues giving advice here and there, lord knows I have looked for advice just as much as I have given it. What I hate is the "I know AZPOST states I cannot have used Meth in my life, does that include when I was a juvenile? What are my chances of being hired?" If you can figure out how to post on this forum, you can figure out how to go to another website and read the requirements for employment.

        Another one that chaps me is people posting in the wrong rooms. Take rookie corner for example. It is my belief that a rookie is a SWORN officer, not an applicant or a cadet. I am just using that as an example.

        I am done now, I just figured I would toss a gallon of 97 octane on your flame, hoping this camp fire could become a bon fire. I am really in the mood for a cold beer and some camping songs.....lol.

        Comment


        • #5
          I want it but I don't want to have to earn it!!!!!

          While I have only been full time for 2 years I have been a reserve since 1989. When I entered my states academy it was a dream come true. And to that point I could not believe the whining and crying that went on during custody/control and firearms. "Its to hard, I hurt all over", "can't we have a break cause I'm thristy?". While on the firing line I heard many times "Its to hot (or cold) to be out here", "its starting to rain and I'm getting wet". Don't these cry babies know they will be out in the weather or possibly fighting for their lives!!!!! During my former career as a paramedic I heards a lot of whining from rookies about the adverse working conditions (climate), my response was "can't stand the heat ( rain, cold, etc. ) GET THE HELL out of the kitchen". Go flip burgers!!!!!!!!! Stupid slackers!!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Soryy, went off post slightly. Had to get it out of my system. DAM SLACKERS!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
              I'm all for giving a helping hand, but I'll be damned if I'm going to help somebody slide by
              *snort* Hehehehehehe

              I read that and then glanced over at your avatar.

              bwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh


              oh, I need less coffee and more sleep!
              sigpic

              I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

              Comment


              • #8
                The biggest change I have seen in the last 15-20 years is the police departments recruiting candidates. 15-20 years ago this was unheard of. Every test there seemed to be a large pool of qualified people trying for the job. I think it is a combination of the news media portraying our profession in a bad light along with the military demand and private job sector.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  I didn't ask any advice when I started applying. I didn't want the attention. I just wanted to slide in unnoticed. I'm certainly not that way now, but when you're 21 and a girly girl, you know you're about to hear all sorts of rations of crap. I've never cared what others thought if I knew I was doing what was right for me...why start now.

                  It annoys me more to see those that proclaim to be LEO telling prospective LEO to fudge, forget or flat out lie on backgrounds. This profession can be difficult enough; we tend to be judged already as a group instead of individually, and here we have those presenting themselves to be Officers with less than stellar advice.

                  I would hope the majority of those wanting to seek a career in this job have already learned that not everyone is fit to wear a shield. This profession has a way of weeding those out.

                  My constant advice to others entering this job is that no matter what, never allow your integrity to be called into question. Your actions might have been wrong, but your intent should be unquestionable. Honesty is always the best policy.
                  Hits nail on the head as usual.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Omega17632 View Post
                    I know none sworn also read this section, but i'm posing this question to my sworn brothers and sisters.....

                    Don't you all get tired of coming on this website and see so many potential candidates/future officers asking what is the easiest way for them to get into law enforcement. It seems everyone wants the most forgiving, lowest physical standards, easiest department in the country to GIVE them a job.

                    I'm sure most of us have busted our asses to get where we are today. I'm young but still worked towards my career, and applied for one of the toughest agencies to get onto my first try. If it's not a challenge, it's not worth doing, atleast to me.

                    I am more than happy to answer questions for those that do not know, or understand something. But my goodness, I hope I was never like that when applying.

                    Anyways, just a small rant. So to take up server space with this!
                    First let me state I am NOT A LEO nor am I posing to be one (Admins please don't ban me). I'm just your friendly neighborhood civilian in process for a state agency. I can say from my experience thus far that I personally find it embarrassing when some of my fellow applicants looking to find an easy way in or otherwise disrespect the process. It took me a lot of soul searching, conversations with my wife, family, friends not to mention motivation to get off my butt to lose 30 pounds so as to begin to prepare myself for the physical challenges of the academy and beyond. This has been a calling for me for some time and I'm finally putting it in motion. It just burns me up to sit next to someone in an orientation who looks like they're ready to go to a gothic rave instead of a job interview. Or someone who laughs and jokes instead of giving the recruiter/officer/presenter the respect of paying attention. I know that's not exactly what you were talking about but I feel what I mentioned and your original questions refers to a person who at the end of the day does not taking this career seriously. Sorry, I know the question was posed to sworn LEO as a member of the group you're asking about though I had to comment as it bothers me (and I'm sure other applicants) to be associated with these people. (Not that you're making that association, but by the fact that I am also an applicant and I've worked hard and done my research to determine to where I'd apply)......Now, with all that said I've been on crack, marijuana, meth, and HGH can someone please tell me the easiest way to get a LEO gig??
                    Last edited by OnTheFence82; 09-15-2008, 01:13 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Do you see the irony of posting in a restricted section intended for Sworn LEO only while declaring yourself annoyed by those that won't follow the rules and have respect?

                      While I wish you luck, the rules still apply to you.
                      sigpic

                      I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Omega17632 View Post
                        I know none sworn also read this section, but i'm posing this question to my sworn brothers and sisters.....

                        Don't you all get tired of coming on this website and see so many potential candidates/future officers asking what is the easiest way for them to get into law enforcement. It seems everyone wants the most forgiving, lowest physical standards, easiest department in the country to GIVE them a job.

                        I'm sure most of us have busted our asses to get where we are today. I'm young but still worked towards my career, and applied for one of the toughest agencies to get onto my first try. If it's not a challenge, it's not worth doing, atleast to me.

                        I am more than happy to answer questions for those that do not know, or understand something. But my goodness, I hope I was never like that when applying.

                        Anyways, just a small rant. So to take up server space with this!

                        I just applied like I have at every other job I've had in life.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I only applied to one agency(and got on first try). When I did start the application process I asked my parents not to tell anybody. I didn't tell anybody until it came time for background checks. I was happy to get on. I worked hard to get here on my own merit. I figured I was either meant for a career in LE or not. I didn't ask others how to get there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            When I applied, I had no friends or family in law enforcement and there was no internet. I'ts already a breeze now days to find a job. You can log on and look up every dept in the country, see if they are hiring, what they pay, everything you want to know.
                            Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by VegasMetro View Post
                              The biggest change I have seen in the last 15-20 years is the police departments recruiting candidates. 15-20 years ago this was unheard of. Every test there seemed to be a large pool of qualified people trying for the job.
                              I understand your statement completely. I joined a metro city PD 37 years ago. Well before these officers were born. No recruiting, no traffic tickets, no bad anything on your record. I feel the current standards have dropped, and by reading some of the postings on this board, some of the new breed cops are whiners. I'm always told, it's not your generation anymore. Apparently, they are correct. Unfortunately, it's not the same quality of officers either. Not all, but the loud minority seem to never stop bitching.
                              The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4021 users online. 255 members and 3766 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X