300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Frequency Change Over??

Ok, so this is going to sound totally crazy (unless of course this is real). We are in the middle of switching over to a digital trunking system that can be used anywhere in the state. As a matter of fact, this is a really cool system. I was recently in the northeast corner of the state and talked to my partner, who was in the southwest corner of the state using out talk around channel. Most of our vehicles have been switched over and many of the new agents and some of the “lucky” ones have the new digital portables and the rest of us are waiting for the new portables, which I can understand taking a while when they run around $4000.00 a radio.

Ok, so on to my question. I was told that we are now in a holding pattern in regards to purchasing the remaining portables because of something to do with the FCC is going to flip-flop the civilian and emergency frequencies around and in doing so, they are going to supply agencies affected with new portables. I think this sounds absurd!!!! I can’t see the FCC doing something like that and on top of that, supplying agencies with radios that costs thousands a piece! Has anyone else heard this or is the administration smoking funny stuff?
    "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

You may be talking about re banding.
    That is for 800 MHZ and bringing in the freq. 15 mhz lower than what you originally have.
    860.7125 would be 845.7125.
    I sure hope you are not going to open sky. Lots of problems there. toooooo many to mention.

Comment

Originally posted by btfp View Post
      You may be talking about re banding.
      That is for 800 MHZ and bringing in the freq. 15 mhz lower than what you originally have.
      860.7125 would be 845.7125.
      I sure hope you are not going to open sky. Lots of problems there. toooooo many to mention.
      Ok, that makes sense, but that isn't going to require the FCC to buy anyone a new radio?!

Also, when you talk about open sky, what do you mean? Are you talking about open air compared to scrambled?

Comment

If you want some detailed information on rebanding and why it's happening, go here:

http://www.800mhzrebanding.com/

Nextel is covering much of the cost for this project. It's a long and drawn out process but they have a lot of good information on that site.

Comment

We have been on the 700 trunked syatem for about a year now,when it works it is great,when it dont,you have a definate brick hanging on your side.Thankfully,we never pulled the 800s out of the units so we have somewhat of a back-up system there,but no portables.
          Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

We have a trunked 800 system, while LASD stayed with the 480 band for voice radio. The 800 system gets more reception farther away from the County and better reception in the farther reaches of the County. BUT, where there are dead spots, they are pronounced. And when someone has an open mic, no one can transmit (even emergency transmissions). This is a MAJOR drawback of the trunked system. Only dispatch can voice over an open mic. And you all know how often that happens on a large department.

Comment

Really? Wow. With ours you can do a quick double click on the key to voice over an open mike. Happens all the time... "Open mike!!", "Check you mikes!!"
              "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that Motorola is not goting to support the XTS 3000 anymore. ( I don't know about the 2500 or 5000). That means they won't have the availability of parts anymore. So your dept is thinking of not buying anymore.

Open Sky is a brand of radio that is from Tyco electronics ( I think). It is proprietary in nature and it is not APCO25 compliant.
                P-25 is the vocoder, or common air interface. the CAI converts the analog to digital and visa -versa. Improved Multi band Excitation ( or IMBE) is the ONLY approved P25 vocoder , from what I remember.
                Open sky is not IMBE. BTW neither is Provoice..

Comment

Originally posted by btfp View Post
                  The only thing I can think of is that Motorola is not goting to support the XTS 3000 anymore. ( I don't know about the 2500 or 5000). That means they won't have the availability of parts anymore. So your dept is thinking of not buying anymore.

Open Sky is a brand of radio that is from Tyco electronics ( I think). It is proprietary in nature and it is not APCO25 compliant.
                  P-25 is the vocoder, or common air interface. the CAI converts the analog to digital and visa -versa. Improved Multi band Excitation ( or IMBE) is the ONLY approved P25 vocoder , from what I remember.
                  Open sky is not IMBE. BTW neither is Provoice..
                  Wow...I must say I am impressed and confused All I know is turn on radio, select channel, key mic, talk, release mic, listen!!

I know all our radio systems are Motorola so if I understand your reply, we won't have any of those problems. The new portables the new guys have are the 5000 and the new mobile radios are Astro 5000.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
                    We have a trunked 800 system, while LASD stayed with the 480 band for voice radio. The 800 system gets more reception farther away from the County and better reception in the farther reaches of the County. BUT, where there are dead spots, they are pronounced. And when someone has an open mic, no one can transmit (even emergency transmissions). This is a MAJOR drawback of the trunked system. Only dispatch can voice over an open mic. And you all know how often that happens on a large department.
                    Well we don't have to worry about that. I work for a state investigative agency and we don't go through a dispatch center unless we switch over to the highway patrol channel and go through their dispatcher. We only do that if we come up on an accident on the highway or some other emergency happens. All 12 of our channels are talk around channels and don't go through any dispatch. We have two channels for each region of the state but we can actually use any channel in any area of the state because of the trunking system they have set up. It goes in one antenna, travels through phone lines and then pops out the respective antenna to who you are talking to. We also have a talk around channel that is not repeated which only goes out a couple miles on the highway and about a half mile to a mile in town.

Comment

We have 3 systems that cover a geographic area of about 320,000 sq miles (rough measurement):
                      - central 1/3 area (approx.): about 34+ years old, trunked, not sure of the frequency, piggy-backed onto the 800 mhz system owned by the phone company;
                      - north 1/3: about 20 years old, private system;
                      - south 1/3: about 3 years old, private system, infrastructure shared with the power company, completely separate frequencies, LE side to be encrypted (but not yet), have several shared talk groups.

All 3 systems have 1 dispatch centre for my Force. The oldest system can be "patched" from one channel to another for cross-area calls, but interferes with other users. I am not sure how the north system works. The south system allows anyone, anywhere, to switch talk groups to call any other unit anywhere.

Our new system has faults, but is a VAST improvement over the oldest system. Eventually, hopefully, other Municipal Police Services, as well as other Provincial LE Agencies (Conservation Officers, Commercial Transport Officers, EMS, Fire) will come on-line, so we can establish separate talk groups as well as mutual-aid channels.
                      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                      "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by signal1 View Post
                        Ok, so this is going to sound totally crazy (unless of course this is real). We are in the middle of switching over to a digital trunking system that can be used anywhere in the state. As a matter of fact, this is a really cool system. I was recently in the northeast corner of the state and talked to my partner, who was in the southwest corner of the state using out talk around channel. Most of our vehicles have been switched over and many of the new agents and some of the “lucky” ones have the new digital portables and the rest of us are waiting for the new portables, which I can understand taking a while when they run around $4000.00 a radio.

Ok, so on to my question. I was told that we are now in a holding pattern in regards to purchasing the remaining portables because of something to do with the FCC is going to flip-flop the civilian and emergency frequencies around and in doing so, they are going to supply agencies affected with new portables. I think this sounds absurd!!!! I can’t see the FCC doing something like that and on top of that, supplying agencies with radios that costs thousands a piece! Has anyone else heard this or is the administration smoking funny stuff?

Well, we have a statewide digital radio system, called AWIN, with around 30 channels available...probably more. I was recently at a meeting with our AWIN guru, and he said we'll soon be changing our frequency range because the Nextel phone service is too close to it.

AWIN = Arkansas Wireless Information Network.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6815 users online. 362 members and 6453 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X