300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable motorola radio question

Ok, so the channel selector dial at the top of the radio has about ten stations. The problem is it is always getting nudged and keeps changing channels and I'm missing important unit checks and other info when this keeps happening. Does this happen to anyone else and how do you deal with it?

Which model of Motorola are you using?

Comment

xts 2500. Motorola

Comment

Batlabs

Try posting here. These guys know Motorola equipment.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/

Comment

... ... ...
          Last edited by rfburns; 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

To answer your question yes.Since we have both mobile and portable,when riding I turn the volume down on the portable to prevent feedback,after a coupla unwanted channel changes,I have learned to check both now--often.Yes ,I have the same radio.
            Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

take a couple of rubber bands and loop them around both the volume and channel kob to put more pressure on them and make them harder to turn
              "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

Wow, thats strange. I've only had that happen to me once or twice, its a shame, you shouldn't have to go through all this effort. Is the knob rubbing on another piece of equipment (something in the car or on your duty belt) that can be moved, or maybe the radio itself can be moved.

Ironically when I changed to nylon gear and moved some things around, I haven't had this happen since (knock on wood it stays this way haha).
                The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

I made it a habit to click it to the end and then click however many back to the channel I wanted. I do this every time I get out. At first it was kind of paranoia because I was off channel a few times when getting calls. Then it just became a habit and happens automatically, step out of the car, turn on to proper volume, click to verify channel.

However, it might be a lowest denominator issue. Why does it keep getting nudged? Against what? Would a better radio holster or change of a certain habit solve the issue?
                  Last edited by yellowreef; 09-14-2008, 12:03 PM.
                  "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

We use the same radio and I understand your problem... I adjusted the tension by taking something that wouldn't cause any damage to the radio and lightly tap the knob down. Doing this causes the channel selector to become harder to turn and not change on its own. **It will loosen again**

Make sense?
                    "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

Just put a black rubber O ring over the base of the knob.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. It must be getting nudged on something, not sure what though, possibly the car seat or something else on my belt. I have moved it thinking it would help, but it keeps rubbing on something. I do the same thing, every few minutes I'm checking to make sure I'm on the right channel, especially if the radio is quite for longer than a minute.

I am going to put the rubber bands on like you suggested and get it to a motorola tech when I get a chance to have it tightened.

Comment

Ask about adding the "beep" function to channel changes

We use the XTS 5000 and have the same problem.

I found out our radio folks could program the radio to beep every time the radio channel is changed. I had them tighten the tension up and add the beep feature so I will know if the channel switch is bumped and changes freqs.

At least this way I don't have to pull the radio out and look at the display every few minutes to make sure I am on the right channel.
                          ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

cflcop, do u wear an outer vest? My volume knob sometimes rubs up against the bottom of my outer vest carrier when I exit the vehicle, causing the volume to skyrocket haha

Comment

Not usually. I usually have have an inner vest with a standard uniform.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6408 users online. 348 members and 6060 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X