Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pittsburgh PD needs some pursuit training..video!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh PD needs some pursuit training..video!

"Police Chase, Leaving Squad Car Damaged, Ends In Arrest"

Two people are in police custody following a dramatic chase Friday evening on Route 28 Pittsburgh that ended on the 31st Street Bridge.

John McCleavy, 36, of Pittsburgh, and 21-year-old Meghan Jaegar, from Ohio, were arrested after they fled from authorities while darting through rush hour traffic Friday.

"We just ended a lengthy vehicle pursuit that took place through multiple jurisdictions More..," Pittsburgh Police Sgt. James Vogel said. "During that pursuit, we managed to apprehend several actors – one of them in conjunction with a bank robbery."

It all began when the National City Bank in Banksville was robbed and led to a dramatic pursuit on Route 28.

Not only was the suspect's vehicle damaged, but so were several police cars. One cruiser flipped over on its roof but landed upright. Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper says the lieutenant is in the hospital with minor injuries.

The suspect weaved between cars during the chase.

"When you hear sirens immediately pull over to your right and stop regardless of what side of the road you're on," Vogel said. "That's what it says in the law, that's what we expect you to do."

Witnesses say it appeared that police from various departments used a lot of force when subduing McCleavy on the 31st Street Bridge. Harper says he was combative and police tased him.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f10_1220899399

I hate criticizing other cops for there actions, but all there tactics in this pursuit where pathetic, cop pitted himself, they where running into each others cars during the chase, and caused damage to many vehicles along the way. then when they got the car stopped, maybe one of the 50+ squad cars could of parked behind the subjects car Then at the end for the whole world to see they beat his *** with a large pig pile way it appears on camera.<>maybe they need to get some spike strips for there squads, somebody could of went in front and put them out>>>>>

like a civilian poster said:
    "I like cops, but this is the most unprofessional police department pursuit I have ever seen that took place within the last 10 years. These guys obviously did not receive proper driver training, no PIT maneuver training whatsoever, and it looked like they forgot the news helicopter was above them when they started beating the suspect's *** on camera.

You'd think these cops would have seen some police videos and realized that simply side-swiping the fleeing car does nothing but ruin a paint job. One cop flipped his own car by PITing himself on the suspect's car (they'll charge him for assault with a deadly weapon for that now) and at the end they were bumping into each other for no reason. Unbelievable how little training it looks like they've had. Maybe the city is doesn't have the budget for the training/"
    "What the problem is?"

Its obvious you dont pay attention as you are posting in a section you are clearly not supposed to be posting in.

Originally posted by Red Swan View Post
    I hate criticizing other cops for there actions, but all there tactics in this pursuit where pathetic,
    How in the hell can you criticise cops or le personnel in reference to a job you have never done? Thats like me criticising you in your use and ability of an "Airsoft gun" (its in your profile) and I have never used one.

cop pitted himself, they where running into each others cars during the chase, and caused damage to many vehicles along the way. then when they got the car stopped, maybe one of the 50+ squad cars could of parked behind the subjects car
    Is it possible, just possible that PPD's pursuit policy doesnt require them to be taught such tactics as "pit maneuvers?" I know, you dont criticise right?

maybe they need to get some spike strips for there squads, somebody could of went in front and put them out>>>>>
    You mean step out in front of a 2000+ lb vehicle while it is moving? Either you have a "S" on your chest or you play "Need For Speed Hot Pursuit" tooo much...

Last edited by CityCopDC; 09-09-2008, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Heh, they need to pay the suspect to train the PIT. That was pretty entertaining. Could have had some better tactics... but so could most situations. Biggest thing that caught my mind is how I always love it when the semi's use their muscle to help (or in this case try to help, it was a good effort).

Comment

I know I have received very little pursuit training; more basic high speed driving training, which was mostly useless also. It looked like everyone just wanted a peace of this guy and they were getting in each others way. In California it looks like their actually trained to sit back and not really go after the suspect, and when they do, it’s one squad. Here, they all just wanted him. “Kill the man with the ball” type of attitude. O, and I think the apprehension used just the right amount of force, although it would be nice if they were not on camera.
        "Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

- Frederick Douglass

Comment

How in the hell can you criticise cops or le personnel in reference to a job you have never done? Thats like me criticising you in your use and ability of an "Airsoft gun" (its in your profile) and I have never used one.
          Been doing that job for some time now, just have not updated my profile since 06

You mean step out in front of a 2000+ lb vehicle while it is moving? Either you have a "S" on your chest or you play "Need For Speed Hot Pursuit" tooo much...
          have applied spike strips successfully, not that hard...big city cops must not get the picture here like yourself..obvious by the video>u even watch it? lol...what a circus
          "What the problem is?"

Comment

have applied spike strips successfully, not that hard...
            And its not always successfull braniac. You can get hit by a car SUCCESSFULLY deploying spike strips like those two deputies in palm beach florida.

Originally posted by Tucker6900 View Post
            big city cops must not get the picture here like yourself
            I see a car weaving in and out of rush hour traffic. GREAT PLACE and time to deploy stop sticks.

Originally posted by Tucker6900 View Post
            ..obvious by the video>u even watch it? lol...what a circus
            I watched it, but didnt feel the need to question a depts policy or training of which I have no knowledge of.

Comment

I saw it. It didn't look too bad. Sure it could've been better, but that's life. Chasing in an urban environment where you have to consider traffic conditions, pedestrians, businesses, other officers, etc. is not as easy as it looks.

And after the 2 Palm Beach County Deputies deploying spikes got hit & killed by a 3rd officer due to a ###### (which resulted in a recall), I'm not throwing spikes out to stop a chase for no reason.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I'll criticize 'em. If we don't look at things like this and look at what went right and wrong, we ain't gonna learn to do things better.
                It wasn't really that bad, but if they haven't had PITT, they need it. If they've had it, they need a refresher course.
                But after the first 15 cops got the two in custody, the other 25 cops running full speed to get in their licks was a little overkill...fun to watch, but overkill. I especially liked the white shirt towards the end who walks up to the kids and gets in his face.
                It was a typical PPP (Post-Pursuit Pummeling). We've all done it. Adrenaline dump.

Comment

That driver got some luvin!

Comment

I might have done it differently but that does not mean they were wrong. I'd bet that they were not trained it the PIT maneuver. They did what they felt they needed to do to end the chase without "innocents" being hurt. Who cares about the cars, body shop can fix that. We don't know the circumstance that led to the chase. He's lucky he didn't aerated when he drove thru the officers who ran up to the van from the sides and front. He was stopped and the officers ran to it from the front when he drove into them. He gets shot for that around here. Lest not be so quick to criticize without enough information to be able to make an informed decision.

Comment

I have no problem with the chase. They are dangerous. People get excited and motor skills degrade. Eh .... the price of policing, both for us and the public.

They "beat down" afterwards ...... please. I also see nothing wrong. He could have stopped at ANY time and got out with his hands in the air. He fought the police and the police won. If we put so many restrictions on police and double guess them in extreme situations like these, who would want to risk policing in the first place. They got him under control and then threw him in a car. Unless he was punched INTENTIONALLY when the cuffs were on AND he stopped resisting, then shame. Anything else (like what I saw) ..... boohoo, bad guy.
                      Space for rent .........

Comment

I guess also they could of used deadly force on a least one occasion, when they all got out in front of him...guess around here we do are pursuits a little differently, usually involves only 3+ squads, maybe 10 at max and spikes are all most always deployed. Also according to state law if we use pit maneuver deadly force must be authorized.
                        "What the problem is?"

Comment

Well for one thing can see them use several spike stripes....the most obvious one was at 1:30.

And I like how the animal control truck was the one that finally did a semi-proper pit. I swear to god it is look closely when the camera zooms after they yank him out of the vehicle.
                          Last edited by wirefire2; 09-11-2008, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Also according to state law if we use pit maneuver deadly force must be authorized.
                            Really!?!? Wow.
                            Others have mentioned that they could have used deadly force when the cops got in front of the car and the car started moving forward.
                            Not to start a big argument but, come on!!! That always has been, is, and will always be a STUPID tactical move. Putting yourself in front of a deadly weapon? If someone is shooting, do you stand in front of his muzzle to engage him? This guy wasn't stopping for cars...he was pushing them out of his way, why would he stop for a cop standing in front of him? So, you do shoot him, Great shot right between the eyes...he's DRT, do you think that with his last seconds he's gonna step on the brake, place the transmission in park and set the emergency brake?
                            Atlanta has an ex-cop charged with Felony Murder for shooting a kid in an SUV that was coming right at him.

Comment

Originally posted by chance3290 View Post
                              Really!?!? Wow.
                              Others have mentioned that they could have used deadly force when the cops got in front of the car and the car started moving forward.
                              Not to start a big argument but, come on!!! That always has been, is, and will always be a STUPID tactical move. Putting yourself in front of a deadly weapon? If someone is shooting, do you stand in front of his muzzle to engage him? This guy wasn't stopping for cars...he was pushing them out of his way, why would he stop for a cop standing in front of him? So, you do shoot him, Great shot right between the eyes...he's DRT, do you think that with his last seconds he's gonna step on the brake, place the transmission in park and set the emergency brake?
                              Atlanta has an ex-cop charged with Felony Murder for shooting a kid in an SUV that was coming right at him.
                              While I agree that it is not a great tactic choice ...... I see zero issues with using deadly force in that situation. None.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6404 users online. 369 members and 6035 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X