Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question from another planet - backup gun?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from another planet - backup gun?

Hello out there,

let me ask you a question. I know that most of you have a second gun on duty, just in case. And i know that much more of your citizens are armed than over here in Germany. We have a very restrictive gun law, so Fritz Doe is usually not armed with a gun.

I´d like to know how often did you really need your backup gun?

I have no idea about the situation in the US, and would like to expand my knowledge beyond hollywood

- Andy

I do not carry a backup gun. It is not my choice, my agency dictates the rules.

It's not a question of "How Often" you need it. It's havein it if the time comes that it is needed.

Most people have two Car keys, and see it as good judgement to do so.

Getting locked out of your car will usually not end in death, so I think the logic applies that it is good judgement to carry a backup.

If you have a spare car key as well...

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Out of 35-50 OIS a year on my agency, we usually get 1-2 a year when the BUG gets used.....usually when someone makes the fatal error of attempting a disarm on one of us......
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
        Out of 35-50 OIS a year on my agency, we usually get 1-2 a year when the BUG gets used.....usually when someone makes the fatal error of attempting a disarm on one of us......
        Thank you for the numbers.
        Our departement had about 4 OIS in five years. Oh yes, that makes a difference.

Originally posted by M11
        It's not a question of "How Often" you need it. It's havein it if the time comes that it is needed.
        Thats the question i was worrying about.

I would see a need if we would have one-man-patrols. We usually prowl around as a team, so i can see my partner as my backup.

And with our low numbers of shootings, i think i´m ok with our situation.
        (The funny thing is, i´m one of the few to have a second gun issued. Not as a BUG, but for surveillance, a tiny .38. I still use either the one or the other.)

Thanks for your answers

- Andy

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
          I do not carry a backup gun. It is not my choice, my agency dictates the rules.

M-11
          I remember you mentioned this once before - I STILL CANNOT FRIGGIN BELIEVE IT! What a moronic policy.

Its just like prohibiting you from buying life insurance or wearing a vest.

Unreal.
          The All New
          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I don't carry one.

Comment

Back up guns have saved the lives of officers that had one and needed it. Back up guns have never interfered with an officer's duties that have one and never need it. Who does it hurt by having a back up gun?

When I wrote our policy, I left it to the discretion of the individual officer to carry a back up gun. The officer must qualify with it just like a regular duty weapon.

Sammy
              If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
              www.samanthafund.com

Comment

A BUG is like armor, I will never mark on duty without it. If my agency came out and said no more BUGS, I would leave. Totally nonsense IMO. What are they concerned with?
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I carry one. Who knows if, when, or how often I might need it, but the day that I do will make strapping it on worth while.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy-GER View Post
                    I´d like to know how often did you really need your backup gun?
                    Well, let me put it this way: the last time you drove on the autobahn did you wear a seatbelt? If so, did you get in an accident?

It's better to have a gun you don't need than need a gun you don't have.

Comment

Or wish you had brought.... Right on Jak. Anytime I go away from the house I carry.... Jak, my wife and I are thinking about going to Nome. How is it there?

Comment

andy my man!

i carry my duty glock 22 and a glock 27 at all times on duty! 90% of the time i also throw in my pocket the ruger lcp! all thats holding me back from somehow attaching a sw 642 .38 is the "tackelberry" label!

2 is 1, 1 is none

Comment

I always carried a backup gun, for the same reason I always carried two handcuff keys, two pens, two magazines and had a spare tire in every vehicle I drove. Actually, I had another reason too: I might need it to stay alive!
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                            I always carried a backup gun, for the same reason I always carried two handcuff keys, two pens, two magazines and had a spare tire in every vehicle I drove. Actually, I had another reason too: I might need it to stay alive!
                            +1 Although I go one step further and carry 3 magazines.
                            "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by JSOCOP View Post
                              Or wish you had brought.... Right on Jak. Anytime I go away from the house I carry.... Jak, my wife and I are thinking about going to Nome. How is it there?
                              Cold. Honestly, I've never been to Nome myself. If you wait until next Spring you can see the finish of the Ididtarod.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3996 users online. 191 members and 3805 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X