Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do if....

Your agency
    1. Held you to a quota (The ticket kind?), knowing it is illegal.
    2. Decided they did not like a new shifts proactive LE work, stating it makes the city look bad, has a drug problem (which it does and admin refuses to see).
    3. Ordered you to stay out of high narcotic area's.
    4. Ordered you to stop proactively looking for narcotics or risk reprimand.
    5. Refuse to pay you yearly salary increases.
    6. Ordered you not to use the available K-9's on duty.
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Find another agency, right now--hopefully while you can still get a decent reference.

Comment

Yep- it's time to go. If that's not an option, you just have to hunker down and live through it. Politics and police work don't fit well together. But there is political reality and then there's actual reality.

It's time for change.
      "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Start looking for another place to work. When the sh^# hits the fan you don't want any blowback coming for you. What did you know and when did you know it?

Comment

LEAVE! --- IMMEDIALETLY! With those kinds of orders not written down ( & I seriously doubt they are) Management has plenty of fodder to fire you even if you disobey one of them & guaranteed they'll put it all on you for not doing any one of those things.......

Comment

I'd look for a new job.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Transfer to K-9 and load out, since they aren't to be used?

On a serious note, do you have union representation? Sounds like an excellent issue for the FOP or your equivalent. If you don't, look for a department that does and try to lateral.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Start looking for a new home......advise the union......drop several dimes to the local media......
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                  Start looking for a new home......advise the union......drop several dimes to the local media......
                  +1 LA DEP beat me to it...Media can help sometimes!

Comment

I've already downloaded and filled out an application for another, bigger, agency. Hopefully I can get it, and soon. My Sgt, a veteran of 8 years with this department, has suggested I look for a new home as well and to that he would give me a awesome reference. He's also dropped an application with other agencies as well.

Unfortunately, we don't have a union. I wish we did. If I did drop a dime to the media, I would be wanting to do it way after I am gone.
                    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

I think I would continue to chase dope, and force them to reprimand me for doing real Police work. I think that would be the best reference you could get. Your new BI would ask "Have you ever received any reprimands from you department?" your reply " Yes sir, they wrote me up for getting too many drugs off the street." I just think it would be funny. I too would definitely find a new home.
                      "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

Are you union?
                        Can you get everyone together and on the same page?
                        If you can get majority support, I would shoot for a "no confidence" vote.
                        What have you got to lose?
                        It actually sounds in many ways like our agency.

We don't have quotas, but we aren't very proactive with the drug problem in our city and our administration still denies that it's any significant problem.
                        We don't have a K9 and our chief won't get one even though we have two private companies/families that will donate a total of $20,000.00 dollars for a dog, training, vet bills and OT.

No defensive tactics training in over 27 years and we only qualify with our firearm once a year with no additional training unless we go out and practice on our own with our own ammo.

These problems are everywhere it seems.

We talked about doing the no confidence thing but our state FOP won't do it because it's against their policy.

Jerks.

Even then, there are probably too many slimballs that would use that opportunity to side with the chief and take out the supervisors that want to raise the standards and maybe get this department moving in the right direction.

How long does your chief have? Is he even the problem or is it more your mayor/city council?

Whatever the case, you can weather the storm and hope that these bad leaders will dies off or leave, vote no confidence and get the public on your side, or you can find another job.

Whatever you do, do not go for that fourth option and lose heart. Keep fighting the good fight! We need you out there! For if not us, then who?

Best of luck my friend.

Rev
                        Last edited by Rev1; 09-08-2008, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Document everything. Especially if they are giving you written orders on any of this stuff, or written reprimands for not complying. Whether you end up using it or not is up to you, but you can't use it if you don't have it.

Edit: Do you have a way to report stuff anonymously to internal affairs? Sounds like there may be some serious integrity issues somewhere in the chain of command...
                          Last edited by yooper_fi; 09-07-2008, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D.o.D cop View Post
                            Your agency
                            1. Held you to a quota (The ticket kind?), knowing it is illegal.
                            2. Decided they did not like a new shifts proactive LE work, stating it makes the city look bad, has a drug problem (which it does and admin refuses to see).
                            3. Ordered you to stay out of high narcotic area's.
                            4. Ordered you to stop proactively looking for narcotics or risk reprimand.
                            5. Refuse to pay you yearly salary increases.
                            6. Ordered you not to use the available K-9's on duty.
                            How did you get a copy of our deparmental policies?

Comment

We don't have official policy quotas, but almost each Sgt has a number 10, 15, 20. Our traffic guys have a larger number (I have heard 100 and 150). I think that this is wrong. If you are in a busy time of the year, you MAY only have a few short moments for traffic. Then you are forced to stretch each violation. I don't do it and get slammed now and again.

Yeah, PC towns screw themselves. Personally, I would RATHER the cops come out in droves to scoop up the dealers. I wouldn't want them in my neighborhood - and I bet that the PC police wouldn't want them as well. But they would sacrifice OTHERS' neighborhoods for some PC publicity.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6129 users online. 370 members and 5759 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X