Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robocop33
    replied
    Local simply will not work. Fighting local politics is like beating your head against the wall. I can tell you from my experience they will fight tooth and nail against it. My City would not even give me workmans comp and only offered less than 25% when I was totally disabled! I had to sue and they still fought it as much as they could. You think they are going to give medical? It is the local governments that are refusing medical care for the most part. Even if you somehow win, then what? You have to live in the town or county or very close by for anyone to accept the insurance? I live two states away from where I retired and many live a lot father away. No, Federal is the ONLY way to go. We do have at least three Congressmen that are willing to sponsor this Act next year. One who is running unopposed and sure to win his seat is already having his staff re-write the bill in legalese so that he can introduce it next year. We just need as many people and associations etc to send this letter to their Congressmen in order to gather support and let our voices be heard! Please help. I know of one officer who 6 months after blowing out his knee chasing a peeping tom ended up on the street living out of his car with his 4 kids because his department did not take care of him or his medical needs! That is disgraceful!

Leave a comment:

• pyxie
    replied
    I'll be more than happy to pass it along here

Leave a comment:

• Baysidegal
    replied
    Even though local is not the overall goal it might be a place to start. Trying to get a something on the floor is going to be very difficult and take many years. If you do manage to get it on the floor and it does get passed you are going to face pretty much the same things that you would on a local level.
    If you consider doing something local you can work on something to mirror in a wide-span plan. You also might get more support if other lodges start buzzing about what you have accomplished in your own state. Just a thought but great thinking with the idea. Good luck

I understand your plight......

Leave a comment:

• robocop33
    replied
    The reasons we are not trying to do this at a State Level is many. One, the State will probably say it is a City responsibility. Two, what happens if the Officer moves out of State? Does he lose his Medical? Three, you would have to get 50 States to do this individually, each wanting their own wording and benefits. Four, how many Medical facilities would accept a State o City insurance card? No, Federal is the only reasonable way to approach this. It would be run in the same fashion as Medicare with all medical facilities that take Medicare requiring to accept this as payment in full at a reduced rate. As for the public getting upset as they don't have insurance, it is not for ALL police officers, only those that have been injured and disabled in the line of duty and forced into retirement. We take care of our military for their medical needs, even those not injured, so why in the world would anyone object to taking care of our first line of defense, the Police Officer, who is hurt or killed and take care of his medical needs as a way of taking care of him for his.her service? These Officers are left without insurance and they cannot get any because of their injuries, or if they can it is way too expensive and does not apply to any pre-existing injuries which is the main problem. Take it from someone who has been there, the medical debt adds up quickly to tremendous amounts.

Leave a comment:

• Baysidegal
    replied
    It sounds similar to the Pennsylvania Heart And Lung Act EXCEPT it protects the worker after they have been separated from employment from the injury.
    I believe it was a bunch of Fire Fighters that sued to get the Heart and Lung benefits to injured Police and Fire Fighters. Some of the Lodges in PA actually made agreements with the respected municipality to adopt their own version of the Heart and Lung Act. Some of it very good, some of it not so much.
    This might be a place to start if there was a way to find out some more specific info on how the ACT was conceived. I believe it took a VERY long time. Maybe the state lodge could help?

Good looking out robo....

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    Originally posted by robocop33 View Post
    We gave thought to Firefighters and ParaMedics but it would be asking too much right away and diminish to possibility of it's passage. What we intend on doing is after this gets introduced and passed into Law is to go back and write another one for FF and ParaMedics with the same benefits. As there is already a precedence set with the POD&DA it should pass quickly and easily. We have a number of people who are running for Office and 4 that I know of are highly favored to win their Congressional seats and they have all said that they want to introduce this as one of their first acts. We have one who is going so far as to have his attorney's place it in legal form, same benefits but worded so as to stand in Congress. Still, we all need to keep sending copies of this Act to our respective Congressmen and demand that they take up the challenge and pass it.
    Shouldn't an act like this be paid for by the agencies that the officers worked for? More correctly the city/county/state that holds the police charter, they are the ones that want to have law enforcement then they should be prepared to pay when that person gets the worst of the job. Especially small town, one cop, two cop towns.

Its not that I don't like the idea of it, the problem is that a lot of Americans can't even get health insurance and wouldn't be very happy to have to pay for someone's when they get nothing. I think this would work better on a state level and it require the locality where the officer was disabled or killed to pay.
    Last edited by wirefire2; 09-13-2008, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robocop33
    replied
    We gave thought to Firefighters and ParaMedics but it would be asking too much right away and diminish to possibility of it's passage. What we intend on doing is after this gets introduced and passed into Law is to go back and write another one for FF and ParaMedics with the same benefits. As there is already a precedence set with the POD&DA it should pass quickly and easily. We have a number of people who are running for Office and 4 that I know of are highly favored to win their Congressional seats and they have all said that they want to introduce this as one of their first acts. We have one who is going so far as to have his attorney's place it in legal form, same benefits but worded so as to stand in Congress. Still, we all need to keep sending copies of this Act to our respective Congressmen and demand that they take up the challenge and pass it.

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    Might as well tact on firefighters too, can't hurt to have more people who would want this and face the same problems.

After all, 7 out of 10 firefighters in the U.S. are volunteers.

Leave a comment:

• robocop33
    replied
    bump, this topic is too important to allow it to die. Come on guys, lets talk about this and get it going!

Leave a comment:

• robocop33
    replied
    Kannahspapa, I understand that! LOL! Obama is your Senator however and you need to send it to your Congressman who is your Representative to the House from your district. You could also send a copy to your other Senator if you like. Seriously, getting as many people as possible to push this is imperative. We have LEO's and other people from all over the USA who have been working and pushing this for a year now. We have a number of members of Congress who are willing to vote for this but they have not had enough pressure to introduce the legislation.

Leave a comment:

• kannahspapa
    replied
    I totally agree with what you're proposing. I would fax it to our congressman, but that's Obama. I haven't seen where he's done anything but run for President since he was elected. I'll check into sending it to our State reps.

Leave a comment:

• robocop33
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    Jim, I like the idea of what you're attempting to do. It should appeal to any Officer, active duty or retired. I'm going to offer what I hope you will take as a constructive suggestion. That is: Have your proposed legislation drafted by an Attorney, or someone adept at drafting a bill in proper form. Most FOP/PBA Lodges and chapters, etc, have attorneys on retainer, and it's possible one would help you draft a bill which could be passed. You should also consider, if you haven't already, contacting members of your congressional delegation. Make your needs known, don't allow them to "blow you off" with the usual "Thank you for writing me" letter. Stay at it. My feeling is that for the type legislation you're proposing, your Representative in Congress is the route to go. Your legislation is essentially a funding type bill, and I believe they would have to originate in the House of Representatives. That isn't to say you shouldn't contact your state's two U.S. Senators. Get as many public figures involved in your campaign as you can. These are only some preliminary suggestions. Again, I'm merely offering some thoughts I hope you'll find helpful. I think you have an awesome idea. Best of luck, and thanks for making the effort.

Phillip, that is exactly what we have been doing and what we are wanting everyone to do. Make a copy of this proposal and FAX it or mail it to your Congressmen and demand that they get onboard and introduce and sponsor this Act and vote for it when it comes up on the floor. The main thing is that one of these Congressmen need to introduce it into legislation. The more letters and FAXes that they get the better the chances are that they will introduce and sponsor this bill and get it passed. I wrote this bill up and was very careful and deliberate in the wording. I want no credit for getting this done, nor should any Officer. I don't care is a Congressman even takes credit for this Act, I just want it enacted and to do that, we need to get all the Officers and PBA's, FOP's, Associations, and Clubs etc as possible to put their weight behind it and pressure their Congressmen!

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Jim, I like the idea of what you're attempting to do. It should appeal to any Officer, active duty or retired. I'm going to offer what I hope you will take as a constructive suggestion. That is: Have your proposed legislation drafted by an Attorney, or someone adept at drafting a bill in proper form. Most FOP/PBA Lodges and chapters, etc, have attorneys on retainer, and it's possible one would help you draft a bill which could be passed. You should also consider, if you haven't already, contacting members of your congressional delegation. Make your needs known, don't allow them to "blow you off" with the usual "Thank you for writing me" letter. Stay at it. My feeling is that for the type legislation you're proposing, your Representative in Congress is the route to go. Your legislation is essentially a funding type bill, and I believe they would have to originate in the House of Representatives. That isn't to say you shouldn't contact your state's two U.S. Senators. Get as many public figures involved in your campaign as you can. These are only some preliminary suggestions. Again, I'm merely offering some thoughts I hope you'll find helpful. I think you have an awesome idea. Best of luck, and thanks for making the effort.

Leave a comment:

• robocop33
    replied
    Come on guys, no responses? Remember that it could be any of your close friends and yes even you laying there on the street wondering what happened and unable to move. It happened to me and I thought I was bulletproof as well. Big shock when you wake up and wonder why all these people are in your bedroom looking at you as you wake up and them realizing that you are actually laying in the middle of the street and everything hurts like hell. THIS COULD BE YOU so lets get this talked about and passed brothers! It is almost too late to help me but not for you and your buddies.

Leave a comment:

• robocop33
    started a topic Police Officers Death & Disability Act

Police Officers Death & Disability Act

Police Officers Death & Disability Act

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen, Brothers and Sisters,
    My name is Jim Bragg and I am a retired/disabled Police Officer. Thanks to the Internet I have had the honor of speaking with many Police Officers who like myself were injuried in the line of duty and retired, without medical insurance! We can't get any because of our disabling injuries and our medical bills, as well as those of our family keep rising putting us deeper and deeper in debt. I discovered that I am not the only one, I am actually the norm! Because of this I wrote the following Act and I have been trying to get POB's, FOP's, and other officers to spread the word and try and get their Congressmen to introduce this Act into Law. Please take time to copy it and either mail or FAX it to all your Congressmen and associations and friends urging them to pass this law so that we may be protected. It is a bit too late to help me but what about you? What about the young Officer who has been on the force for a couple of years with a wife and a couple of kids who gets hurt? What will happen to him, or you? Think about it and please join in. If you have any questions please e-mail me at [email protected]

Jim

“Police Officers Death and Disability Act”

As Americans of the United States, we pride ourselves on the fact that we are a supportive nation; one that stands strong and fights for freedom in our country. When we hear this we immediately think of those in the military, rightly so. However, there is another group of men and women that face the same adversity and immediate danger everyday that go unnoticed. The police officers, the men and women in blue, that serve and protect us civilians 24/7. These individuals do their jobs just as honorably as those in the military, but yet, are not given the same respect or viewed on equal grounds as to those who are actively serving in either the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines. Why? Some of these same individuals did serve their country and then chose a life style that is parallel to the military in many respects, but are not entitled to the same benefits should he/she become injured to the capacity of no longer being able to perform their job or worse killed in the line of duty. Who protects those that protect us? What happens to these individuals that are taken down in the prime of their lives and leave a family behind or have a whole new other lifestyle to adjust to? One of continuous physical pain, mental anguish, and the memory of what was at one time, what life used to be like prior to “that day.”

It is out of respect and gratitude to those individuals that risked their lives and lost theirs while performing their job as they were trained, to serve and protect. Two little words, (serve, protect) that have such a powerful message and sometimes tragic consequence is the result. Who knew that those two words (serve, protect) came with just as much of a high price as freedom does?

Therefore, a proposal supporting these men and women is being put into place, called the, “Police Officers Death and Disability Act.” This federally funded act would provide protection to those who did the protecting and can no longer actively serve in that role. Through this proposal would enable these police officers to have their medical bills paid for by the government and that their families’ medical expenses are covered as well. We, as a nation, do this for our Veterans, why not police officers who have provided the same service, but only right next to us, not overseas, not 3 states away or on a gulf coast somewhere, but as local/state police officers that patrol our street/city at night while we are sleeping and during the day when we are at work. These men and women are protecting us, where ever we may be and our neighborhoods while we are not there. In this line of duty, these men and women work 24/7 for us civilians, to protect us and our families. By having this act supported, this would be the greatest, “thank you” to give back to these police officers at the local and state levels and provide us civilians the opportunity to turn around and protect those that did the protecting.

The following provisions will apply to the “Police Officers Death and Disability Act:”

If a Law Enforcement Officer should become injured in the line of duty to the extent that they are no longer able to perform their duties as a Law Enforcement Officer and must retire due to disability, then the Officer shall be determined to fall under this act. Disabled/retired Officers will become eligible for 100% paid medical coverage at the date of retirement paid for by the Federal Government under this bill. The Officer, spouse and children 18 years of age and under, or those who are 21 years of age and under if they remain a full-time student will also be covered under this provision. Those covered under this Bill shall be issued a medical identification card at no cost and it will serve as an insurance card accepted by all licensed medical practitioners and facilities and all charges are to be paid by the United States Government. (This bill shall also include 100% costs of medical prescriptions; such as medication, equipment or any other means that are necessary to aid in the officers’ recovery due to the injury the officer has sustained.)

If a Law Enforcement Officer should become disabled in the line of duty, this bill shall also provide the officer with a monthly pension supplement payment of $1,000 for the disabled officer until his/her death. If the officer should be killed in the Line of Duty then, his/her widow shall also receive said benefit for 1 year or until remarried.

If the police officer should be killed in the LOD, the surviving spouse and children under the age of 18 or 21 if the child is in school will continue their medical coverage 100%. After 1 year, from said date, the medical coverage for the surviving spouse would terminate, however the children would remain covered fully 100% until the ages of 18 or 21, if the child is in school.

Should the surviving spouse remarry before the 1 year said date, coverage for the spouse is terminated immediately upon remarrying. However, the children would maintain 100% medical coverage until the ages of 18 or 21 are reached if the child or children are still in school.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4477 users online. 281 members and 4196 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X