300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on days off?!?!

Just wondering if any other agency runs like this regarding days off.

We have state funded DWI checkpoints and if not enough people sign up, you get signed up. So, if you have planned a trip out of state, tough SH*t, you're working or now you have to find someone else to work it and it's on you. If you don't show up when you get signed up, you get day/s off. So now you have to go to someone else and ask for a favor because you were "voluntold" to work the checkpoint......

Next problem: I was told now that I HAVE to work on my day off because the tards that make our schedule didn't take into account that half the dang patrol staff is on the tac team. They have to go to training for a week next month, right in the middle of my 4 days off. The schedule is made a year in advance and we're always on the same rotation. So, now I have to work a 10 hour shift on my off or face suspension?!?! Oh, it's NOT in policy, Corporals and Sgt.s just schedule people at random for this stuff. Please tell me there's another agency out there as jacked up as mine!

We have mandatory OT shifts to staff patrol, but our MOU requires two weeks notice of a change in schedule. If you mark your regular days off with a "V" on the schedule, that is a heads-up to the Lt. who makes the schedule that you are not available for MOT on that particular weekend. So I went and marked "V" on all of my four-dayers and a few regular three day weekends as well. I always get someone to take my MOT shifts anyway, so maybe they can just not bothering trying to schedule me in the first place. Only three or four people in patrol are more senior, us older guys should get some extra consideration because we have put in our time working extra hours many times over.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

So i take it you guys are on the "10-4" plan too? It's nice but my God do they jack with the schedule. Beside the first of my post, they adjust us 2 hours early/late, make the 10 a 12 hr day, or even reschedule you 4 hours early! I'm sorry, but working 9am-7am four days in a row then having to be back in and work 5am-3pm blows the big one! To top it off, you're screwed if you don't check the one schedule book because they don't email you or tell you, "hey, you're adjusted tomorrow." You just get a call from dispatch 3 hrs. before you normally wake up and they break the news to ya....

Comment

We are on 4-10s, but being an FTO, it winds up being 12, 13 or 14 for me almost every day. My agency has, over the years, gotten this ethic going that we take every petty case and run with it and don't go home until it's solved. There is a lot of pressure to not slow down in the last couple hours of the shift, and for the trainees to take on an almost overwhelming workload. If an FTO isn't late every night, he is considered lazy.

It was great in the past when, if it was 10 minutes past normal off duty time, the sergeant would come up on the air and ask your ETA to the office. If you were doing stuff late in the shift that was certain to result in OT, you were usually shut down and told to do it the next day, and early. Sadly, those sergeants are gone - everyone is supposed to be a junior narc, doing cases that should be sent to detectives, working lots of overtime, wearing ourselves to the bone and winding up divorced because we are never home and fall for the BS that the job is more important than our real lives.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I wish they would let me work on my RDO. When I do get to its damn good OT $$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by BPD_126 View Post
            We have state funded DWI checkpoints and if not enough people sign up, you get signed up.
            No one at my agency is forced to work DUI or other traffic emphasis details. I've seen them cancelled when not enough people signed up.

Comment

We have state funded DWI checkpoints and if not enough people sign up, you get signed up. So, if you have planned a trip out of state, tough SH*t, you're working or now you have to find someone else to work it and it's on you. If you don't show up when you get signed up, you get day/s off. So now you have to go to someone else and ask for a favor because you were "voluntold" to work the checkpoint......

Next problem: I was told now that I HAVE to work on my day off because the tards that make our schedule didn't take into account that half the dang patrol staff is on the tac team. They have to go to training for a week next month, right in the middle of my 4 days off. The schedule is made a year in advance and we're always on the same rotation. So, now I have to work a 10 hour shift on my off or face suspension?!?! Oh, it's NOT in policy, Corporals and Sgt.s just schedule people at random for this stuff. Please tell me there's another agency out there as jacked up as mine!
              I don't know how they can do this, this sounds like a legitimate greivance to me, and a violation of your MOU. Your union needs to get involved with this. I just wouldn't answer my phone that day.

Comment

One more thing, I'll be dam*** if I have to work on my days off, unless it's court.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
                  i got called in on easter sunday to work "narcotics surveillance", after leaving my parents house and driving 2 hours back to work, i was delighted to find out that narcotics surveillance was actually, doing over time security work at a local motel. the best part was, as soon as i show up to the motel, the manager tells me he called the dept and told them he didn't need anybody that day.
                  That sounds about par for the course. Lesson learned, don't answer the phone when the PD, or anyone in a supervisory position at the PD, calls you on your day off unless you want the OT. That has been my policy for years, and so far it has worked very well. They can tell you that you have to have a phone, they can tell you that you have to respond when called in. They cannot tell you that you are required to answer the phone when they call. If they do, then you are on call, and must be compensated for on-call time.

I worked for a department that did forced sign up overtime pretty regularly. Generally speaking they only forced evening and midnight shift officers to work the stuff. Day shift officers were unofficially exempt from forced OT. They had no problem signing a midnight officer up for OT right in the middle of the day between two work days (when midnight guys sleep), but they would never dream of signing a day work guy up for OT in the middle of the night. I don't work there anymore. But yes, there are departments that are as screwed up as the original posters.
                  -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

We end up working on days off too. I get ordered in a few times a year on my days off. The way around it is when on vacation, putting a V (vacation) in our schedule book when leaving town for an extended period of time. If I take a week off but have a longer trip planned, I put a V on my leave days as well. This tells whoever is in charge of the detail that I am out of town that week, including my leave days.

With our agency, there is a boatload of overtime and secondary that we can sign up for. This is what irritates me about getting ordered in on off days...I sign up for what I can and dont sign up for what I cant...then get ordered in for it. I wish they would take into account that I signed up for a large number of overtime details during my leave days so if I dont sign up for additional, please let me be LOL.

Comment

+1 on not answering the phone. At my agency, if you are required to respond to be on call and respond to any call from the office, they have to pay you $2.50 per hour for every hour when you are subject to call. That adds up to a lot, so they can't make you answer the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                        Your union needs to get involved with this.
                        No Unions for the Po-Po in Missouri......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                          No Unions for the Po-Po in Missouri......
                          Note to self: never work in Missouri.
                          Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                          Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

Sounds like a severe case of the flu to me. And I don't think anybody can make you use your sick leave on your day off.
                            "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperCopper View Post
                              Note to self: never work in Missouri.
                              1+ there

I can't see how they can force you work a grant. Our department there is a sign up sheet and if no one wants it, it's also canceled. First they let everyone have a shift who wants to work it and then if there are shifts left over you can sign up again. If they don't have Unions I would have a large group get together with an attorney and see if they could do something.

My last department they took all the grant time and split it up among six of us. If someone couldn't work it all or didn't want to work it they would slip the rest up with those who did want to work it.

At my current department the only way your forced to work OT is if the regular shift is short. That's only if no one volunteers to work and then they will run the shift with the bare minimum. If no one volunteers they start at the bottom of the seniority list and the low man has to work. Then the next time something comes up and no volunteers they go to the next guy so the same person doesn't get stuck with it again. They email us a week in advance if they are going to be short, so things are covered. If it's spur of the moment they call and if you don't want to work you screen your calls.
                              Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6336 users online. 338 members and 5998 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X