300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In car video systems

Anyone know of any decent digital in car video systems? Preferably ones that are under $1,900. I have searched and can't locate any sites that actually include the prices along with the systems.

Thanks for any help.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

I do not think you will find anything for that price. We use Watch Gaurd, which was the most cost effective at about $5k for each car.

Sammy
    If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
    www.samanthafund.com

Comment

You can pick up a reconditioned VHS unit for that price, but not even a used digital unless you double that. If you are personally buying it, you would be better off buying a descent camcorder that would be easier and cheaper to repair if needed. There would be endless options on how to mount it, and you could take it out to record crime scenes.
      Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

oh yeh,,, I remember seeing some used ones at PB Electronics out of Kentucky w/prices on the net. They have decent prices, but I would still check around a little more. I've even seen them on ebay.
        Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
          Anyone know of any decent digital in car video systems? Preferably ones that are under $1,900. I have searched and can't locate any sites that actually include the prices along with the systems.

Thanks for any help.
          For that kind of money you will only be able to get a dash mounted cam-corder. However you can get a digital cam instead of one that uses tap. But then you need a database and a back-up database to store all the footage will take up A LOT of space very quickly. (Look into terra byte sized hard drives.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101082

Comment

I just got a Watch Guard DV-1 put in my car last week. I haven't even been on a stop with it yet as I have some school this coming week before going back out on the road. It's pretty nice. It took me a little while to learn it and get the settings the way I want them, but finally got it done.

The one negative I noticed about this system is that you only get about 4 hours of recording time per DVD. I know there is a setting in there to extend it to 8, but I'm afraid of having degraded video if I do it.

I'm not yet in a position to judge this system yet as to it's reliability, but I like the features it has. We'll have to wait and see about the DVD's. I don't want to be changing them out twice a day. Could get costly. From what I understand they are under 5k?

Comment

Our Dept. just got the Shadow 8oo from Decatur Electronics. HOld about 20 hrs of video on a DVR and downloads to our dept. computer. I love it! I had an HI 8mm system before that and holding on to tapes for cases sucked!!! Now I just case number my important video and they are easily found. Also the video quality is the BOMB! I just have to remember to turn on my defrost on my windshield or I will fog up! Darn Tennessee Humidity!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jthorpe View Post
                I just got a Watch Guard DV-1 put in my car last week. I haven't even been on a stop with it yet as I have some school this coming week before going back out on the road. It's pretty nice. It took me a little while to learn it and get the settings the way I want them, but finally got it done.

The one negative I noticed about this system is that you only get about 4 hours of recording time per DVD. I know there is a setting in there to extend it to 8, but I'm afraid of having degraded video if I do it.

I'm not yet in a position to judge this system yet as to it's reliability, but I like the features it has. We'll have to wait and see about the DVD's. I don't want to be changing them out twice a day. Could get costly. From what I understand they are under 5k?

We have them in our patrol units. I would be very surprised if you switched it out twice a day. Our don't have take homes and there are times we are getting a few days out of a disc. System is very nice, and the people from what I understand are awesome to work with.

Comment

Can't help ya, we are issued COBAN, which is built into the computer. Front and rear camera, night vision in the rear seat. All digital, no tapes or DVD's and the video downloads automatically when we pull into the station lot. Not sure how much the video portion costs, but the whole system costs a little over $10,000.
                  Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

We have the Watch Gaurd brand cameras in our cars. I can't say much for them. They are nice, have nice screens, nice menu's, etc.. but we constantly have problems with them.

Comment

in-car video

JTHORPE

Go ahead and switch the record setting to 8 hours. You won't see any difference in quality.
                      If you are only recording to DVD when you activate your emergency lights and hit the stop button at the end of the stop it will take you a few days to fill up that DVD.
                      Try using Maxell DVD+RW discs. You can get a 15 pack at Wal-Mart real cheap.
                      8 hours on a 60 cent or so DVD......try storing your video on a server and compare the cost.
                      Make sure you load the new version 5.0 software upgrade which was just released. You'll have new pre-event times of 15,30 and 45 seconds, new covert recording mode where both cameras (split screen recording) and both mics automatically activate and the screen and LEDs go black. The new DVD Manager program now has disc erase and disc authentication features and the new Fleet Manager program allows you to program event tags...after a stop you are prompted with up to 8 questions where you can indicate the type of stop, race, gender, ticket number, file number, whatever you want.

OCC

Get that upgrade installed and whatever issues you were having will go away. It's a huge difference in performance and reliability. I did the upgrade two weeks ago and there are no issues. We had the Kustom DVD-RAM. There were many problems with it. If the problem was the recorder we had to send in that huge trunk vault. The overhead console and the flip monitor blocked my rearview mirror in a Crown Vic. It was a pain. We've had the WG for over a year and haven't had to send it in for repair yet...knock on wood.

Take care out there.
                      Attached Files
                      I'm a government appointed babysitter but my real job is to slap sense into stupid people.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3059 users online. 144 members and 2915 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X