300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assaults on LEO

I was just wondering how many of us have been actively assaulted on duty. I am talking about an actual assault, being kicked, punched, or had something swung at you. If so about how long did it take for the 1st event to occur? No including the they started to turn towards me with a fist stuff either.

I had my first in my first couple of months but until recently they were always guys or gal in cuffs kicking me when I was getting them in the car and that type of non sense or a real weak attemt at getting me off of them when they got taken down. I had a guy actually connect, in a meaningful way, a few weeks ago (spinning back fist/ dang them mma specials). I was not all that bad, since I have been hit plenty of times, but I know plenty of guys who claim to have never been assaulted and it got me wondering...

My favorite assault story happened in Miami. We were going to serve an arrest warrant on a club drug (Ketamine) dealer. We had an address for him, but weren't sure enough to kick the door down or barge in, so we just knocked on the door. A very good looking girl with a really nice rack, opened the door, but told us she didn't know who he was.

About that time, I saw him peak around through the bedroom door at us. I said, "That's him right there, " and pushed her to the side as I headed toward him. At that point, she jumped on my back, locked her nice long legs around me, and grabbed by badge chain like a bridle and started to ride me as I was trying to get to her boyfriend.

I kept trying to peel her off as I kept heading toward him. At some point my badge chain broke and she put me in a headlock. Finally, after what seemed like about ten minutes, but was probably only a few seconds, a couple of the other guys peeled her off, still kicking and screaming and cuffed her.

The only bad part was I couldn't really feel those knockers she was rubbing against me through my vest (but that didn't stop me from lying and saying I did).

Comment

The most memorable was a drunk who went to the end of an exit ramp and just kept going. Across the intersecting street, into the grass and against a berm where he finally stopped. His passenger, and brother, slumped over to the driver's side and completely passed out with his head under the gas pedal.

The driver passed out on the steering wheel, truck still in drive. I tried for a couple of minutes to wake him up, but when he wouldn't, I started dragging him out by the arm. When his feet hit the ground, he came to, halfway, and went from his knees to a half-standing position and lunged at me. He grabbed me around the upper part of my legs and started trying to tackle me. I stumbled back, dropped my flashlight, but managed to stay on my feet. He kept pushing me back to try to knock me down, but I held on to the side of his truck.

Luckily, I had left my flashlight on, so I was able to find it in the tall grass and scoop it up in time to start wailing on his back and shoulders. He still kept trying to get me to the ground, but after about 15 or so good hits with the Maglite, he had enough and slumped to the ground. I don't even want to think what might have happened if he had gotten me to the ground, or worse, if his brother had woke up and come out to help him.

I found out a little later that he really didn't remember much of it when he said, "Man I'm sore. You must have really beat my ***".

"Yes, sir. I did. You're welcome."

Comment

It seems like it a no lose proposition for the subject to resist. If the subject fights his way free, he got away. If you subdue him, when he gets to the jail, the other inmates treat him better because he fought the Po-lice. The apathy of the court system and incompetence of the prosecutors pleading down cases adds to it. That's why it's important to stay in shape and take as many self-defense courses as you can , including Officer Survival. If you arrive on a call looking like barney fife or can double for santa claus w/o the beard, you'll get 'challenged' alot more than if you present a professional or 'command' presence. Any Officer that says they've never been assaulted is either lying or never been a street cop. Always be careful out there.

Comment

I don't think we've had a new officer get out of the FTO program (16 weeks) without being assaulted at least once.

For me, the most frightening experience was being chased around a parking lot by a psycho woman in a BMW. Anyone (ie: management types) who claims you can "just step out of the way" when someone's seriously trying to run you down ought to give it a try first. I'd be glad to get behind the wheel, for demonstration purposes! A couple of rounds fired at the suspect caused her to reevaluate her plan and kept me from inspecting the undercarriage of her car.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Back in 2004, got shot in the right forearm from a 20 yr. old punk from about 4 feet away....with a 1911 .45 with hollowpoints.......that really sucked!

He shot at me two more times as I was rolling away but missed both times thankfully... A fellow Officer put about 4 rounds into him, which stopped his assault. As typical.......he lived.

Comment

Here whenever we get assaulted the person get charged with agg. assault, but at the prelim either the da or the judge makes it simple asaault, if they're actually convicted (rare) its usually knocked down to resisting arrest.

Comment

Originally posted by NORCOCOP View Post
                I was just wondering how many of us have been actively assaulted on duty. I am talking about an actual assault, being kicked, punched, or had something swung at you. If so about how long did it take for the 1st event to occur? No including the they started to turn towards me with a fist stuff either.

I had my first in my first couple of months but until recently they were always guys or gal in cuffs kicking me when I was getting them in the car and that type of non sense or a real weak attemt at getting me off of them when they got taken down. I had a guy actually connect, in a meaningful way, a few weeks ago (spinning back fist/ dang them mma specials). I was not all that bad, since I have been hit plenty of times, but I know plenty of guys who claim to have never been assaulted and it got me wondering...
                It's going to happen sooner or later. I've experienced it a number of times I can't recall. For me the initial blow has always evoked a reaction inside me of substantial anger and the idea of "Who the f--- are you to hit me?!" I've yet to need back up to subdue someone fortunately, but I'm sure that day is coming. Just keep fighting. Someone on here has a quote or something like "pain means you're still alive - get up and fight."

Comment

A few years back, my unit did a "drunk down" sting where the UC officer had some beer poured on him, acted drunk and let the predator(s) take property off his person (grand theft here in CA) without offering resistance. I was down on the ground, when a local Adam Henry who'd gotten word on the program walked up and kicked me a couple of times, asking "Are you okay officer?"

My backup took him into custody quickly enough and he didn't kick hard enough to do much more than **** me off, but what really got me was the response from "our" City Attorney. He wouldn't file misdemeanor assault charges because he felt the program "bordered on entrapment" (the District Attorney's Office differed on this and filed felony counts) and believed officers placing themselves in jeopardy should accept the "fact" that something like this could happen.

The guy was a left-wing POS and shortly thereafter removed from office, due in no small part because he alienated the officers he was supposed to work with.
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by MGD45 View Post
                    Back in 2004, got shot in the right forearm from a 20 yr. old punk from about 4 feet away....with a 1911 .45 with hollowpoints.......that really sucked!

He shot at me two more times as I was rolling away but missed both times thankfully... A fellow Officer put about 4 rounds into him, which stopped his assault. As typical.......he lived.
                    Just out of curiosity, what type of round was the suspect shot with?

Comment

Originally posted by WKT View Post
                      Just out of curiosity, what type of round was the suspect shot with?
                      Doesn't matter, could have been slugs. They always live through that. A certain department in my area, not naming names, shot some thug who was drunk pointing a gun at an officer. Officer lit him up with 3-4 rounds of .40 Speer Gold Dots. Officers were seen hovering over him whispering, "Go to the light MFer! Go to the light!"

Comment

Originally posted by shook0002 View Post
                        Here whenever we get assaulted the person get charged with agg. assault, but at the prelim either the da or the judge makes it simple asaault, if they're actually convicted (rare) its usually knocked down to resisting arrest.
                        Pffft, that's nothing. Unless we have blood or extensive bruising they don't even get charged. Those who do get charged end up getting declined for prosecution. And you pretty much have to die, loose a few pints of blood or a limb to get the FBI to even investigate it.
                        "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

I'm pretty sure I was in FTO my first time. It happens frequently enough. Though it does seem to have slowed down a bit over the past few years. It always seems they want to throw down about the time they realize they are going to jail.
                          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I don't think I can count all the times I've been assaulted. I've been kicked several times but nothing that caused an injury. I got punched in the face once but I let my guard down and didn't handle the guy right. He tagged me in the nose good enough to water my eyes. It still ended badly for him though. I was one of four officers standing around him. I've been pushed or swung at (but missed) numerous times.

Comment

I had a guy in my back seat under arrest for hitting his wife. We were enroute to the jail and he managed to put the handcuffs in the front, kick out the window, and jump out all while I was comming to a stop. I mean he did it in a fast fluid motion.

I chased him, caught him, and wrestled around with him on the ground. He was hitting me but he was cuffed in the front so the jabs really werent hurting at all so I was trying to only gain control of him. At this point we have already ran 1/4 mile away from the road down a clearing of telephone polls with woods on each side. I wasent able to call for back up because my radio mic fell off while I was runnign and dragging behind me.

Well, during all this he grabbed my gun and started pulling on it. I put my left hand on the handle of the gun to secure it and punch him smack in the face (think this sprain my wrist). I was exhausted at this point because of the run and the scrapple on the ground but I was able to call for help on the radio because he was dazed from the punch and just kinda laying there crying about getting hit. Once he collected him self he started trying to pull away. He only had a pair of shorts on and was all slippery because he was sweating so I couldnt keep a good grip. He was a bigger and stronger then I was so he was able to stand back up and began walking with me hanging on. But I managed to slam him back on the ground and hold him in basically a head lock until other units got their which took like 4 minutes after I was able to call. The rest of the time he whined about being punched. His cheek was a little swollen and he had to be taken to the hospital. But docters found nothing wrong with him and he is in jail where he belongs waiting court.

I did try to taser him while running behind him but the carterage fell off when I pulled it out the holster.
                              Last edited by DeputySC; 08-22-2008, 11:50 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6164 users online. 335 members and 5829 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X