300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Frisk

I need supporting information on vehicle frisks, for weapons. I have pulled up Michigan v. long, if anyone has any others that they could provide I would greatly appreciate it.

You have it put it's front tires high on a wall then kick it's back tires apart to put it off balance. Start at the top (front bumper) and go to the bottom (rear bumper). Don't forget to look for knives in the waistband.

Comment

Carroll Doctrine

Terry stop

Both play a role.

The question is are you searching because you know there is a weapon, think there is a weapon, or just because you think you can?

Comment

I only use it if and when I have reasonable articulable suspicion that there are weapons and a danger present.

Comment

Last edited by fordman318; 03-29-2010, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I've never heard the term "Vehicle Frisk", but I'd go with the two people above me posted because they answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
              I've never heard the term "Vehicle Frisk", but I'd go with the two people above me posted because they answer your question.
              Really? Do y'all use the Farb book as a reference?

You can frisk a vehicle for weapons so long as you can articulate it. IE-furitive movement, prior knowledge, yada yada yada
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                You have it put it's front tires high on a wall then kick it's back tires apart to put it off balance. Start at the top (front bumper) and go to the bottom (rear bumper). Don't forget to look for knives in the waistband.

Now THIS is some funny sh*t!!!!!!!!!!
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  Really? Do y'all use the Farb book as a reference?

You can frisk a vehicle for weapons so long as you can articulate it. IE-furitive movement, prior knowledge, yada yada yada
                  I've just never heard it termed "vehicle frisk." I know what all of you are talking about, and I've done it, lol. I haven't heard of "Farb book" either.

Comment

yes, i've heard of vehicle frisk and michigan v. long should work fine. furtive movements while pulling the car over is a great way to get inside the car and "frisk" for weapons.

another example would be the officer seeing an empty pistol holster on the seat. it's reasonable to believe that a gun is in the car. check the interior compartment (wingspan) to check for WEAPONS.
                    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                      I've just never heard it termed "vehicle frisk." I know what all of you are talking about, and I've done it, lol. I haven't heard of "Farb book" either.

Ignore me, honey. I shouldn't have been allowed to post w/o having all my wits about me

Robert Farb is the author of many books we use in NC for reference, to include arrest, search and seizure. He is a highly respected criminal law "expert" here. Silly me, I forgot I wasn't in the NC forum
                      sigpic

Comment

I havent heard Chimel applied to searches other then search incident to arrest. I assume it plays a role as the SC would probaly say there is no threat in the trunk if he is sitting in the driver's seat. I'm sure it applies...just dont recall being told it applies.

Comment

We're taught that we are able to frisk vehicles in the same manner we can frisk individuals. As long as we have a reasonable and articulable fear for our safety and want to search the car/person for weapons, we are able to do so. This includes searching any unlocked place that a weapon could be stored (e.g., center console, underneath the driver's seat).

Terry v Ohio does not get us into the trunk as we are only able to "frisk" the passenger compartment. We need a PC or consent search to get there... unless of course you are towing the vehicle. Then you can inventory the vehicle if it is in accordance with department policy/general orders.
                          No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                          -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Now, I am familiar with Michigan v. Long. That's a term I do know.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                              Ignore me, honey. I shouldn't have been allowed to post w/o having all my wits about me

Robert Farb is the author of many books we use in NC for reference, to include arrest, search and seizure. He is a highly respected criminal law "expert" here. Silly me, I forgot I wasn't in the NC forum
                              Do they have BoJangles' ads in the NC forum to help you tell it apart from the others?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3050 users online. 189 members and 2861 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X