300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WKT View Post
    If you haven't been to an optometrist in a while, it's worth having eyes checked. You could be missing things out there because you're really not paying attention, or it could be that your eyes just can't see them.
    As a matter of fact, that was one thing I did before I got on nights. I found out that my prescription had gotten slightly worse and got myself some new contact lenses. That really helped sharpen things out and let me see more clearly... BUT... I need to see them first.

I don't think that it's because I'm not paying attention. You could flick my chin and my head will spin several times. I'm always looking around... but for some reason, I'm not catching everything.

My FTO mentioned slowing down, as did Nightshift va, and I found that it helped out immensely. Instead of a patrol speed of 25-28mph, I'm slowing it down to less than 20mph. What wonders that worked... I can take in A LOT more information.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave
      GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
      "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
        wow. my first day of field traning, i watched the FTO drive and handel the calls. and from than on in i was doing everything. driving. running tags while i drived, talking to everyone. doing the reports. of course i always had to ask my fto what else i should do ect ect. but dang they threw me right in.
        I feel your pain, juicesnn, oh do I ever feel your pain....
        1*

Comment

wow. my first day of field traning, i watched the FTO drive and handel the calls. and from than on in i was doing everything. driving. running tags while i drived, talking to everyone. doing the reports. of course i always had to ask my fto what else i should do ect ect. but dang they threw me right in.
          Wow... I was riding and observing for my first week, until I was able to "demonstrate the jurisdiction's geography" at a passable standard. Week two is when I started to drive... yet my FTO was still handling the calls. Week three is when I began handling smaller calls.

Now, in the end of week six, I'm handling 95% of the calls. My FTO will only jump in to nudge me along if I need it, or will take the calls that he knows I won't be able to handle yet.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Guams View Post
            Wow... I was riding and observing for my first week, until I was able to "demonstrate the jurisdiction's geography" at a passable standard. Week two is when I started to drive... yet my FTO was still handling the calls. Week three is when I began handling smaller calls.
            Driving in your first month out?? I think it was six weeks before I was allowed to drive. Even after I drove for a while... I still had FTO's that would not let me drive. One in particular flat out... will not let probationers drive. I was already 10 months into probation and still writing all the reports and taking books. My FTO always looked well rested...
            Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

man o man. lets see. i just use to call my FTO mr garmin. cuz i didnt have a freaking clue where i was going. we have 6 zones and each zone has about 11 beats. and all threw field training you expect me to learn where i am? HA. and the way it was set up is retarted. you do 2 weeks in each zone and roate what shift u worked each time too. so basically u get a whole taste of the city, but u never learn much about where u end up.
              Heh... the size of my jurisdiction is roughly 7 square miles. It's two villages with a combined population of approximately 7,000 people. It's divided into two sectors... Sector 1 = Village A, Sector 2 = Village B. Of course, we don't stay in our sectors, we roam both villages and when a call comes out, dispatch gives it to the person assigned to that sector. The only difference now is that they're giving me most of the calls, since I'm the new guy and need/want the experience. For now, I'm still happy taking as many as they give me.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Guams View Post
                Last night my FTO (also my Sergeant) mentioned to me that he would like to "get the civilian out of me." This stemmed from him pointing out three different groups of people (at zero-dark-thirty) that I didn't see. I asked how he and, it seems, the other officers can pick up on every little detail they drive by... yet I'm missing people??

I generally pick things out pretty well, and have spotted my own things that the FTO's didn't see... but when they pick something out, it seems like I miss it. I'll look and scan a particular area, and miss 3 people standing by a car in a dark parking lot (ie... last night). Or, I'll be looking at one side of the street and miss what's on the other side... yet I try to go 50/50 with the sides of the street and scan them both on my way at some point. But... I also need to maintain control of the car... and not drive into a living room. I'm sure they would dock me if I did that..

He said that when he works, he's in a state of "hyper vigilance" and that's how he picks that stuff out.

So... if I could, I'd like to surprise him, tonight at least, and get on a board with noticing more of the things he'll later point out.

Any pointers you folks can provide? What's a good way to get a good look at the surroundings/people/etc AND maintain the vehicle?

I will be hiding in the dark beside the dumpster behind the Piggly Wiggly at precisely 0311. Don't rough me up too much, but put on a good show.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4148 users online. 287 members and 3861 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X