Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps making an extra key for your duty key ring to the squad will alleviate the problem w/out causing much friction so you can leave it running and still lock it. Assuming the dept will allow it.

I wholeheartedly disagree with turning it off much less locking it on a vehicle stop for all of the above stated reasons, but also understand you really don't wnt to start a p**sing match w/ th FTO.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
      Look at him and politely say,

"dude you're an idiot."

1. If the light bar keeps going while your car is off your going to be calling for a tow on any extended stop cuz that thing is a battery killer.

2. If the light bar turns off ,then you are on a stop with no warning flashers to the rear? I don't think so.

3. As you walk up to the car, the suspect does the famous stunt of taking off and now you have to mess with the car keys?

4 The great likelihood that you are accidentally going to lock your keys in the car because for some strange reason your attention is focused on the violator.

Maybe you should tell him how much you respect his experience and point of view and, with a warm smile, say,

"Look Barney, put your bullet in your gun and watch as I show you how to really do police work, OK? Try not to be scared."
      that was hilarious garbageman!!!

on a serious note that guy is an idiot...so many obvious reasons not to lock your vehicle on a traffic stop....i lock my vehicle on everything but a traffic stop.
      Last edited by BigRob; 08-18-2008, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRob View Post
        i lock my vehicle on everything but a traffic stop.
        ditto.

I've never heard of such a thing... for all the reasons already brought up.
        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

As a training officer all I can say is WTF??? I would never teach a trainee to turn off the car, lock it either. ON a traffic stop you may have to run and chase the violator down, run for cover, or even arrest the person and if the car is locked it is another hassle to unlock it.

I think you handled the situation very well. If this keeps up i would inform your sarge or training section of the problem.

If all else fails tell him it both of your car and come to an understanding
          "Don't play dumb with me, you're not as good at it as I am"

Col Sam Flagg

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
            I second that.

But around here it's not the pay (about $40 a month, don't spend it all in one place), it's to get a take home car.

To the O.P. (and you probably already know this) just put up with it while you have to. There's so many reasons why he's wrong it's not worth the time to write them.

The key to any law enforcement career is to get off probation. After that do what you think is right.
            No take home car here, but its a 5% raise.
            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

I installed a brake light cut-off switch at the fusebox in my car. The switch is very accessible to the driver, but it's not obvious to anyone who doesn't already know it's there. The good thing is that when the switch is in the 'off' position, the car can't be taken out of 'park'. This will most likely keep someone from taking it. I use it when I have a prisoner in the back and need to be out of the car for something, and also on stops.

Somebody might get in my car, but they're not going to move it. Since you're probably not in your own car, or may not be able to modify the way I have, this may not be an option for you.

Having said all that, I would go along with whatever your FTO says until you're out of training, unless it becomes a significant safety issue. Then you can do it your own way when you're out on your own. If it is a safety issue, tell a supervisor. I would probably present it to them as if I was just giving them some information, and let them know that I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, but that it concerns me. Then let the supervisor take it from there.

From what you've explained, I don't see it as a serious safety issue, just not the smartest thing in the world. I realize there are probably a few scenarios that could be conjured up to support the idea that it IS a safety issue, but you could say that about most any situation.

I'd let it go, for now.

Comment

What is up with that!>?

I must first say I agree with the posts that use the terms idiot, moron, etc. describing this FTO.
                Sounds like another power hungry officer wannabe.

Any training officer that takes action that places another officer in a dangerous situation is not fulfilling the duties of a true FTO.

Why did he take the keys and shut the patrol off>>>??? To keep the unit safe.

Whay about the issues mentioned such as dead batteries, inablilty to get into the vehicle rapidly in an emergency, poor portable radio range area, Ohhh boy I cannot deal with going any further....just plain stupid.

The other issue of evaluating you is noble but he placed himself in a very officer unsafe position...IN FRONT OF THE SUBJECTS' CAR!!!!! I do not think that I need to explain this one.....does SPLAT mean anything?

In response to your questions:

Is this a common practice anywhere else?
                In 14 years I have not seen this practice on a traffic stop. I lock my vehicle on and always have 2 keys available on a moments notice to enter the car. This is not to demean any officer that uses this practice as there are different geographical issues that involve people coming to take the car when you are at the violator's window...

-What are your thoughts on it?
                I think that this FTO should look at the department SOPs, training in the academy, and other issues to see if he is training you correctly. An FTOs responsibility is to ensure a trained, officer is on the street....trained in all aspects of LE including department SOPs. If this procedure of locking up the vehicle on a traffic stop is not in the dept SOPs, this FTO is looking to get sued in a big way.

-Do you think I handled the situation appropriately?

Some comments here say don't question the FTO etc.....well in general I agree....BUT In matters of officer safety, in matters of things you do not understand, I would think that asking for an explaination would be appropriate. After all the FTO process is that of an educational process, thus learning is needed to take place. If you don't ask you won't know. When I was FTOing I encouraged questions and made sure the officer would have the knowledge to make better future decisions...I would not say you must do it my way because I am the boss......that is Bull, I would make sure that the officer I trained would save my bacon when I needed it!

-Do you have recommendations about talking to a Sgt or somebody about this FTO to keep somebody from getting hurt?

Get through your training program and follow your department procedures. In the future this FTO will get some training as well...I hope.

SOME, only some, officers that become an FTO get a GOD complex and feel that their duty is to become a God in front of the "trainee"......just deal with it for now and remember when you are on the streets it is YOUR life on the line......YOU must make informed, educated and good decisiions
                Last edited by chiefcop; 08-19-2008, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Locking doors on traffic stops I work a two man unit in a big city (9800 sworn) so some of our practices do not apply to more rural areas with single manned units... but... a car is just property and can be replaced. I'm assuming that most departments have shops with ballistic panels in the doors? We were always to told to get away from the "Coffin", because thats where they will shoot... but sometimes you have no other choice but to rely on your car for cover.

Kinda off topic... but I had a partner who was great... pretty much on the same page.. ex marine (could be the problem)... I've been trained to be the first one out on a stop as the passenger... pretty much having one foot on the ground as the car comes to a stop. I always leave the passenger door open then approach the car and clear it before the driver approaches. My partner would always go back to run the info on the MDT and would close my door when he got out. That always bugged me... I guess I feel that as a cover Officer, I have no other job than to cover... so I should be able to keep an eye on the car if someone comes near.
                  Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

Tell him off

You may be "rookie" and he may be an FTO, but you've got one job to do.
                    GO HOME SAFE!! You've got the badge, ypu've got the gun, your the police. You didn't take this job to get hurt by anybody, or for anybody. If he's more worried about what happens to the car then he should be a mechanic. What's he gonna do if someones taking shots at you and you need it as cover? Wil he search for a better location so the car doesn't get bullet holes in it?

Good Luck, Stay Safe
                    Amp

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4183 users online. 289 members and 3894 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X