300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDCR and Pelican Bay Questons???

Just got offer for sept 2nd academy. I was offered Folsom, Chuckawala and Pelican Bay. I hear that working at Pelican Bay offers great experience making it easier to promote in the department. Does anyone have some insight on Pelican Bay and the job there? I am from So Cal and prefer not to move but I am looking to advance in the department.

September 2nd?

I have a huge amount of questions for you. Did you get a call offering all three, or a letter? And they specifically said the September academy was the one you were being offered? I got the letter in the mail July 9th saying I had passed everything and was cleared for hire, so I have just been waiting since then. I had my written test back in November of 2006, and have just been playing along with the waiting game since then. Any information you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comment

Cdcr

I have oral Interview tomorrow.. I am still waiting.. how long you guys took yoru Back gorund and what happen if you dont take their offer? do you still go to Academy??

Comment

I work at Pelican Bay as a Sgt. I will say that the last 3 directors of the department have been former wardens at pelican bay, and many of the states leaders in Corrections did at least some time here. This is not to say Pelican Bay is the only good joint. All insititutions teach you something about corrections, Pelican bay just seems to house a lot of the problem children inmates. Just because you work at Pelican Bay does not mean you are a better officer....it just means the learning opportunity is there at a higher level. If you choose Pelican Bay, let me know and I'll meet you here....

Comment

Originally posted by Andynaui View Post
          I have oral Interview tomorrow.. I am still waiting.. how long you guys took yoru Back gorund and what happen if you dont take their offer? do you still go to Academy??

what kind of oral interview??? psyc??? I'm playing the waiting game to. 5 or six months now.. I got a letter from my BI a couple of weeks ago because she wanted pics of my tattoos, I turned that in and waiting again..
          Post clever signature here.....

Comment

Cdcr

I just finished My Oral Interview with Psyh. It was Crazy... Anyway. I hope I pass the Psy....Good luck I will post what happen... If I pass or not.

Comment

I just finished My Oral Interview with Psyh. It was Crazy... Anyway. I hope I pass the Psy....Good luck I will post what happen... If I pass or not.

how long in your background did you get the call for your psyh?

Comment

CDCR Backgorund

My Background was Very very SHort...
                Don't get shock when you read this...
                I got letter from Background and they told me it will take at least 90 days which is 3 month.. if you dont hear them you can call find out what is going on... My Background was Done about 3 weeks. Less than 1 Month.. I was very very Glad to heard my background clear. I got letter from State board about my PEM (Pre- Employee Medical ) thing done that three weeks ago..
                everything was done by Letter not a Phone call.
                two weeks ago I got call from State board that I need to make date for my Psy... which was today..

I apply Last year around Nov. and I took test on Jan. PAT on Feb. June Background and edn of July PEM. Early Aug Psy...

how about you??>?

Comment

I also work for the Dept. I've been at a level 4 and a minimum, and am now at a 3/4. Most people will tell you that you get your best experience at a level 4, but there is definitely something to gain from each institution. As a new officer, if you start at Pelican Bay, you'll probably learn your "Correctional Awareness" a lot faster than you will at Chuckawalla. That's a way of saying your danger alertness will be sharper, and you'll learn the safest way of dealing with inmates and looking out for your partners. At a prison like Chuckawalla, you'll probably get a lot more experience running program. What I'd recommend is that you cut your teeth at PB and work your way back to So. Cal. Just remember, it can take sometimes years to get transfered to the institution you plan to retire from- so make the most of your time in the Department, and experience as much as you can.
                  Last edited by muslgurl; 08-10-2008, 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Andynaui - what was so crazy about it? what kind of questions did they ask?
                    did they kind of grill you? good luck to you.

Comment

It was ok.. just asking same thing over and over agian.. I heard that it takes a month to know your results... where are you in process? ??

Comment

I am almost finished with my BG, I spoke to my BI and all he needed back was one county letter back and I would be clear and done with him ready for the medical and POPE. I am hoping soon real soon. I heard the next academy is in November, I will not make the Sep academy.

Comment

My Background was Very very SHort...
                          Don't get shock when you read this...
                          I got letter from Background and they told me it will take at least 90 days which is 3 month.. if you dont hear them you can call find out what is going on... My Background was Done about 3 weeks. Less than 1 Month.. I was very very Glad to heard my background clear. I got letter from State board about my PEM (Pre- Employee Medical ) thing done that three weeks ago..
                          everything was done by Letter not a Phone call.
                          two weeks ago I got call from State board that I need to make date for my Psy... which was today..

I apply Last year around Nov. and I took test on Jan. PAT on Feb. June Background and edn of July PEM. Early Aug Psy...

how about you??>?
                          I don't remember when I took the written test. I took the written and then had to wait a few months for a PAT. I took the PAT sometime in May and at time turned in my background. I don't know when the BI started it but I got a call a few weeks ago asking for pics of my tattoos and last week some of my references got the survey about me. So I know it's moving I just can't wait to move to the next phase.

Comment

Originally posted by FFturnedCO View Post
                            Just got offer for sept 2nd academy. I was offered Folsom, Chuckawala and Pelican Bay. I hear that working at Pelican Bay offers great experience making it easier to promote in the department. Does anyone have some insight on Pelican Bay and the job there? I am from So Cal and prefer not to move but I am looking to advance in the department.
                            Hey FFturnedCO,
                            I know nothing about Pelican bay but from what i have seen on t.v. it looks like thats a great place to learn the job.I believe in working the toughest jail right off the bat so when and if you do transfer to another facility you will be able to work anywhere in the department without a problem.When i first started my jail had every classification of inmates except punitive seg inmates and i worked all posts in the facility for over 8 years so i can go into any facility and work and know what i can expect.
                            P/M me for a patch trade.

Comment

Did they offer Folsom or CSP-Sac? Either way there are many good areas around Sac to live and lots of things to do on your days off. Pelican Bay has lots of stuff to do, if you like fishing/hunting. Not so much other stuff. Beautiful area, but a little secluded. I worked for the dept and if it was my choice I would go to Sac and PB would be a close second. Chuckawalla is not a bad institution, but the area sucks. There is a carpool going to Chuckawalla, but it's a 2 1/2 hour drive from the San Bernardino area, each way. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3771 users online. 220 members and 3551 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X