Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can NYC DOC Officers carry off-duty firearms like NYPD?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can NYC DOC Officers carry off-duty firearms like NYPD?

    Can NYC DOC Officers carry off-duty firearms like NYPD?

  • #2
    Yes we can.There is a list of authorized firearms for on duty and off duty.I cant remember what is on the list.
    P/M me for a patch trade.

    Comment


    • #3
      a friend told me that you need to wait 6 mos after you get out of the academy, and only then apply for a firearm permit. is this accurate? thanks guys

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by k85o911 View Post
        a friend told me that you need to wait 6 mos after you get out of the academy, and only then apply for a firearm permit. is this accurate? thanks guys
        NYC Correction Officers do not have to apply for a NYS pistol permit. As per NYS CPL you can possess firearms without a permit (On your ID/badge). But with NYCDOC you have to wait 6 months - 1 year before you can be authorized by your agency to carry off-duty weapon and its only from an small list of approved firearms
        CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
        FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT


        DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NYSJAILER2008 View Post
          NYC Correction Officers do not have to apply for a NYS pistol permit. As per NYS CPL you can possess firearms without a permit (On your ID/badge). But with NYCDOC you have to wait 6 months - 1 year before you can be authorized by your agency to carry off-duty weapon and its only from an small list of approved firearms
          I see, but does this mean they must wait that long before they are eligible to buy an off-duty specific weapon? Or must they wait that long before they can carry off duty at all?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
            I see, but does this mean they must wait that long before they are eligible to buy an off-duty specific weapon? Or must they wait that long before they can carry off duty at all?
            Well NYC DOC officers must wait 6 months to even request approval for an off-duty weapon. Now that doesn't mean that they will grant it to you. After 6 months on the job and you put in you form, they can make you wait up to 1 year or up to 2 years after you finish probation or never grant it to you at all. NYC DOC are very picky who the grant off-duty firearms to. Its not a automatic after graduation off-duty carry privilegde like with my agengy and other law enforcement agencies.
            Last edited by NYSJAILER2008; 08-01-2008, 09:55 PM.
            CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
            FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT


            DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

            Comment


            • #7
              Wow, didn't know that you were unarmed after work. That's crap.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
                Wow, didn't know that you were unarmed after work. That's crap.
                Well in NYCDOC, WDOC, NYS COURTS, TBTA there is a 6 months waiting period to carry off-duty. I am not sure about nassau/suffolk county corrections. Maybe you have more knowledge in this area being that youare from L.I.
                Last edited by NYSJAILER2008; 08-02-2008, 07:50 PM.
                CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
                FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT


                DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

                Comment


                • #9
                  I will def ask my friend who is Nassau Sheriff when I see him. He's been on for 25 years so chances are it may have changed since then. I have a professor who was Suffolk Sheriff, I'll ask him too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am currently being process for the NYCDOC and so far I have passed everything but the Fire Safety which is tomorrow. I just got a new job working with Adults as a Adult Protective Service Specialist and I was a former Probation Officer for 10 years and I needed a change. I will need the extra cash just to pay for related items if and when I go into the academy in November. Heres the problem. I took the Parole Officer exam and got my results last week. I passed but I took it as well as Corrections because I applied and didnt want to waste money. I tried to get back into Child Welfare only to discover its hard to go from law enforcement to child welfare. I have no idea when Parole will call me and my list# is below 300. They dont give a test as often as Corrections and there starting pay is in the 50s. Should I just go ahead with corrections and wait for parole or should I stay put at APS and wait on parole. Mind you APS starting pay is higher but Corrections will pay off more in the short run.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      6 months

                      It is 6 months from the day you are sworn in, about 2 months out of the academy. If your lucky GRVC they have a 6 month in Jail policy which is your 10th month on the job. Somebody said they are picky, I wouldn't say that i would say if you have 10 bang ins and 10 late or late to roll calls and a cd or 2 (command dicipline) that you can bet you will not get approved, but if you have a clean record you will get approved. You would think that 6 months how much trouble can I get into....ALLOT go to a real jail like GRVC even OBCC they are handing out cds like candy and your getting into Use of Forces everyday. So keep clean.. oh and by the way will what they pay out of the gate You will not be able to afford a firearm for awhile anyway..So six months is good thats when you get a nice raise.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NYCDOC6024 View Post
                        I am currently being process for the NYCDOC and so far I have passed everything but the Fire Safety which is tomorrow. I just got a new job working with Adults as a Adult Protective Service Specialist and I was a former Probation Officer for 10 years and I needed a change. I will need the extra cash just to pay for related items if and when I go into the academy in November. Heres the problem. I took the Parole Officer exam and got my results last week. I passed but I took it as well as Corrections because I applied and didnt want to waste money. I tried to get back into Child Welfare only to discover its hard to go from law enforcement to child welfare. I have no idea when Parole will call me and my list# is below 300. They dont give a test as often as Corrections and there starting pay is in the 50s. Should I just go ahead with corrections and wait for parole or should I stay put at APS and wait on parole. Mind you APS starting pay is higher but Corrections will pay off more in the short run.
                        If your looking for money come to Corrections trust me they have no problem stuffing it down your throat whether you want it or not!
                        The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Parole Officer

                          Things just got harder. I just got my test results from parole right about two weeks ago. So I am thinking it will be a while before I hear anything from them them right? What do I get in the mail a canvass letter. They fill the needed areas first with people who are willing to go there no matter what their list number is. You had different groups take that last test this is why the building was filled that day. Parole Officer list# 24-957. I was 291 I figure I got time. The letter wants me to tell them which locations I would be willing to work at within 14 days of my being notified of my selection and what date I can report to work by? I have no idea what their higest salary is for the Parole Officer title but I am willing to explore this. This is the highest starting pay title which is $52,643.00. You got PO trainee, PO spanish, PO facility all types and then this test dosnt come out every year. That school were the test took place was packed. Oh this series you need a 4 year degree and a few years of experience in certain areas and this is for starters but still this is the first test that made my head hurt and I have taken and passed many. My investigator is back from vacation and I have some thinking to do but I plan to continue my processing for C.O. I have been through so much already and I just took my Fire Safety. I will call him for an appointment. I am just thankful I have options. Any thoughts?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Options

                            Options is the key word. I would go through the process for all jobs until there is a schedule conflict that can't be resolved (that is when you make a decision). I am in the same boat with NYCDOC,Westchester Corrections & MTA. Good luck

                            Integrity in a officer means the settled disposition, the resolve and determination,
                            the established habit "of doing right where there is no one to make you do it but yourself".... You are who you are when no one is looking

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Top Pay was always more important to me then starting...
                              The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5447 users online. 311 members and 5136 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X