300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Governor set to slash state workers’ pay

THIS WAS JUST POSTED ON THE CCPOA WEB SITE!!!!

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger plans to sign an executive order next week intended to temporarily reduce pay for 200,000 state workers to the federal minimum wage of $6.55 per hour to preserve cash until lawmakers reach a budget deal, according to a draft copy of the order obtained by The Bee.

The governor’s order also would terminate about 22,000 retired annuitants, temporary workers and seasonal employees, as well as impose a hard freeze that blocks the hiring of roughly 1,700 new employees per month.

Administration officials said the Republican governor expects to take the action Monday, when the budget will be four weeks late as Democrats and Republicans continue to spar over how to resolve a $15.2 billion shortfall…

I wounder how long it willl take now to finish the process!!!!

sorry this is a link to the full story.
    http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/1105466.html

Comment

How the hell can they do that? So your making lets say twenty bucks an hour one day then dropped down to Six bucks the next??? Part of the reason why this is proposed is due to not enough revenue comming into California since the recession hit and people are not spending $$$. If and its a big if this goes through isn't this just going to hurt the state even more? How are the 200 thousand people affected by this going to pay thier bills? California's forclosure rate is already at an all time high. Lets just add to the problems. I doubt this will happen but its a reality check for those of us working for governments. Crazy stuff.
      Last edited by Noob; 07-25-2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Man thats horrible, I hope he doesnt do it and come to an agreement with the legislature
        I hate a SNITCH, they are a lower life form than inmates

Comment

Man...I hope our new Governor doesn't read this article....I woldn't put it past NYS to do this! What am I talking about.....he really can't read anything, can he? (I know, I know...a low blow!!) ((That's what Pataki said...oh man that was too easy, sorry!)) LOL!
          Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

Comment

According to the older officers I have been talking to are saying they have tried to do this in the past with literally IOU's.
            The article leaves out that Peace Officers are except from the above mentioned minimum wage thing. Just Imagine the CDCr and the CHP working for $6.55 an hour. SUUUUCCCCCKKKKAAAA DDDAAAAAMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Seems like Arnie is burning alot of bridges up at Sacramento and his own posse is starting to rebel against him at least the State Control is.
            sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

You are right I heard back 10 years ago the state ran out of money and gave IOU's to state employees and the banks still cashed them. Has any one heard if this hire freeze will stop all hires such as CHP or CDCR?

Comment

Originally posted by CO4NYSsoon2bDI View Post
                Man...I hope our new Governor doesn't read this article....I woldn't put it past NYS to do this! What am I talking about.....he really can't read anything, can he? (I know, I know...a low blow!!) ((That's what Pataki said...oh man that was too easy, sorry!)) LOL!
                Imagine the jump in officers going out on medical disability which they can't touch. There is more than one way to skin a governor........ Even though it doesn't appear to affect law enforcement it goes to show just how little state governments think of their employee's and to top it off they would expect you to still show up for work with a smile on your face and give them 110% every day.

Comment

I was around last time they did this. It is a scare tactic to force the lawmakers to come to a budget. Also, like JROD pointed out, the language reads that those who are in the public safety and law enforcement service are not affected by the pay cuts, this includes CHP and CDCR. Not only that the state controller already told Arnold to pound sand, and he is going to pay the employees no matter what Arnold orders. The state controller is a seperate elected official, and it would take a court injunction to force him to pay minimum wage. All that said, arnold can do whatever he pleases, but after the last time this was done I doubt he will. When this happened last time, the state lost millions in lawsuits, and several courts decided that this was not proper.
                  Anuatents and PIE's have been told they are not working anymore until this is resolved. I have several friends who are both who were told not to come to work yesterday. If you are in the process, just be patient, this too will pass.
                  If you're in Cali, keep your head up and dont stress out about it. Many of us have been throught his before. I think its time to move to another state though!!!
                  Last edited by sgt809; 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM.

Comment

If they would pull that stunt on me to 6$/hour I would toss my uniform in the trash, toss my badge/gun on the Sheriffs desk and leave.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt809 View Post
                      I was around last time they did this. It is a scare tactic to force the lawmakers to come to a budget. Also, like JROD pointed out, the language reads that those who are in the public safety and law enforcement service are not affected by the pay cuts, this includes CHP and CDCR. Not only that the state controller already told Arnold to pound sand, and he is going to pay the employees no matter what Arnold orders. The state controller is a seperate elected official, and it would take a court injunction to force him to pay minimum wage. All that said, arnold can do whatever he pleases, but after the last time this was done I doubt he will. When this happened last time, the state lost millions in lawsuits, and several courts decided that this was not proper.
                      Anuatents and PIE's have been told they are not working anymore until this is resolved. I have several friends who are both who were told not to come to work yesterday. If you are in the process, just be patient, this too will pass.
                      If you're in Cali, keep your head up and dont stress out about it. Many of us have been throught his before. I think its time to move to another state though!!!
                      There is a memo thats been floating around RJD about cutting 100% of the OT starting this Monday. According to the memo they are willing to go on OP125 (modified program) all week if they have to.

When we are on OP125 it affects the bad guys tremendously which I really dont care!! The only thing I do care about is being on a skeleton crew when it hits the fan and not having enough staff to control a bad situation.

Another thing lots of the OT we do in RJD has to do with medical. They admit everyone with any sort of chest pains (gas) ALLEDGEDLY & trouble breathing . We have TONS of hospital runs ALL shifts and CO's get ordered over (doing OT against our will).

My opinion, I think the bad guys crying and whinning for everything on daily basis is going to send everything back to normal (OT) & full staff regardless if the state has to pay extra. When we are on modified program the bad guys dont get yard and when they dont get yard they dont get canteen or laundry Administration does not care for the safety of the CO's BUT they are concerned when the bad guys arent happy
                      sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

How can this occur in a liberal Garden of Eden?! They need to get the Californicated federal leadership like Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein involved. They know what they,re doing-they're leaders....Where is the money going to come from for all the state entitlements for the illegals? There will be yet another class of victims that oprah wil have to report on.....

lol

Comment

lol cueball...
                          and yes JROD, you're right about medical. I am the CTC Sergeant here, so I get to see first hand how medical is running our joints. The medical transports have not stopped..nor will they. We are still spending thousands of dollars a month to pay for little Johhnies estrogen treatment because he wants to be "trans-gendered"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3833 users online. 145 members and 3688 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X