300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC DOC testing and CO openings

Hey guys, i am pretty new to this forum. i have been doing some searching and there is tons of info on here.

i am going through the NC DOC application process. i took my Educational Achievement Test and COVT today.

during my visit they had us fill out a "wish list" of which prison we would like to work at. i made my list of close ones (within 1 hr) to my house, there ended up being 11 within an hour of my house.

to my dissapointment, there were only 2 prisons in my region (Piedmont). they are 1 1/2 & 2 hrs away from my house! with the salary the state pays, i can't afford that. and w/ working 12 hour shifts, i don't want to be driving 3 to 4 hours to go back and forth to work.

one of the guys testing asked the lady giving the test about turn over. she said, "we don't have any turn over". so she said we would be placed on the waiting list for the prisons we wanted (since they were over cap).

really, is this true? low to no turn over?

i really want to be a CO, but i can't drive that far for work. even carpooling would suck!

NC CO's, do i stand a chance on getting on with a local prison?

thanks

high turnover on big prison's ie close custody medium is'nt central prison out there?

Comment

it makes sense that Central would have alot of turn over to me. i would work there, but its 2 hours away from me. i wouldn't mind working there, i believe they make more for working at Central.

Comment

CP and Polk always had a high turnover, there tough prisons to work at, the smaller units or county units are much better to work at so they have less turnover. When we moved to the new Polk I got picked to work HCON so I stayed there till I moved to NY. HCON can be tough to work but the staff were top notch which kept a low turnover in that unit as well.
        I hate a SNITCH, they are a lower life form than inmates

Comment

Originally posted by fieldtech View Post
          CP and Polk always had a high turnover, there tough prisons to work at, the smaller units or county units are much better to work at so they have less turnover. When we moved to the new Polk I got picked to work HCON so I stayed there till I moved to NY. HCON can be tough to work but the staff were top notch which kept a low turnover in that unit as well.
          thanks for the reply, what is HCON?

Comment

high security maximum control

Comment

Originally posted by zmurphy View Post
              thanks for the reply, what is HCON?
              The most secure housing within the NC Div. of Prisons.

Comment

Hi. Hey Murphy I really need to thank you for starting all of these questions. I applied 2 weeks ago, and I took my test today ( both fun and easy ) and finally got to see what you were saying about the facility assignments. they gave us 3, Albermarle, Anson, and lanesboro. I....... live in King so I had to say no way, but another guy from winston and myself put them on the spot and she told us that we could put down units from other regions. Can you say Wilkes, I know I did and they had openings!! AHHHH YEAH!! but anyway until you sign off on a prison you can still jump if you need to. But if the inks dried well 18 months my brother. either way i'd like to once again thank all of you posted. It has made my journey so far quite easy and if I can anyone else down the I'll be glad to do so. Prine
                The 2 nevers (1) Never try to intimidate me, (2) Never try to impress me. Also the 3 steps of compliance (1) Ask , (2) Tell , (3) Pain.

Comment

prine, hey man! i am going to PM you check that.

Comment

Originally posted by prine View Post
                    Hi. Hey Murphy I really need to thank you for starting all of these questions. I applied 2 weeks ago, and I took my test today ( both fun and easy ) and finally got to see what you were saying about the facility assignments. they gave us 3, Albermarle, Anson, and lanesboro. I....... live in King so I had to say no way, but another guy from winston and myself put them on the spot and she told us that we could put down units from other regions. Can you say Wilkes, I know I did and they had openings!! AHHHH YEAH!! but anyway until you sign off on a prison you can still jump if you need to. But if the inks dried well 18 months my brother. either way i'd like to once again thank all of you posted. It has made my journey so far quite easy and if I can anyone else down the I'll be glad to do so. Prine
                    If Wilkes CC had openings it is likely that they'll be filled by those who are working at other facilities and have requested a transfer, i.e. Alexander CI. While not impossible, it is unlikely you'll walk in off the street straight to a unit like Wilkes CC. Just my .02!

Comment

Originally posted by DOP View Post
                      If Wilkes CC had openings it is likely that they'll be filled by those who are working at other facilities and have requested a transfer, i.e. Alexander CI. While not impossible, it is unlikely you'll walk in off the street straight to a unit like Wilkes CC. Just my .02!
                      yeah, i was surprised to hear that too.

Comment

Just what I was told at testing and I do have a strong enough background that I could be taken in right off the streets, but you're right and I could jumped but if so no tears from here, I'll keep digging.
                        The 2 nevers (1) Never try to intimidate me, (2) Never try to impress me. Also the 3 steps of compliance (1) Ask , (2) Tell , (3) Pain.

Comment

Originally posted by prine View Post
                          Just what I was told at testing and I do have a strong enough background that I could be taken in right off the streets, but you're right and I could jumped but if so no tears from here, I'll keep digging.
                          what kind of background do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by zmurphy View Post
                            what kind of background do you have?
                            Super secret ninja

Comment

CP & Polk?

If you can work at CP [Central Prison] (which is across the tracks from Snake Mountain!) & Polk d/b/a Gladiator School then you CAN hack it in Corrections/Detention, period.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5502 users online. 295 members and 5207 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X