300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online correctional academy

Does anyone have any experience with the American Correctional Associations online correctional academy? I'm just wondering if the classes offer any good info. I'm going to have to pay out of pocket and I don't want to throw away any money that I don't have to. I'm looking to advance in the next couple of years and I think it would help if I had some more training that the county didn't have to pay for plus I enjoy learning new stuff. Our sheriff is big on education also.
    Last edited by Groove; 03-05-2008, 05:56 PM. Reason: grammar
    War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Originally posted by Groove View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the American Correctional Associations online correctional academy? I'm just wondering if the classes offer any good info. I'm going to have to pay out of pocket and I don't want to throw away any money that I don't have to. I'm looking to advance in the next couple of years and I think it would help if I had some more training that the county didn't have to pay for plus I enjoy learning new stuff. Our sheriff is big on education also.
    Beware
    ANYTHING that has to do with ACA is $$$$$$$$$$$ driven. They will make a buck over anything else.
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Screw ACA. ACA has led the charge in ruining Corrections as far as I'm concerned. One size doesn't fit all.

Don't pay good money to have garbage shoveled into your brain.
      "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

I've never even heard of ACA.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Does anyone know of any other kind of programs that might be beneficial?
          War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

Originally posted by Groove View Post
            Thanks for the response. Does anyone know of any other kind of programs that might be beneficial?
            Business, accounting & budgeting, public administration. A few criminal justice & political science courses that focus on law. History. English, Spanish. Get them from a college or university.
            "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Originally posted by JMTX View Post
              I've never even heard of ACA.

Well, the facility you used to work at is the only TDC facility not accredited by them, although your county did just host the annual ACA convention.

ACA is basically TCJS, but optional, nationwide, and intedned primarily for prisons as opposed to County Jail.

As a supervisor, ACA is a headache, you will have SOPs for everything you could possibly imagine. At my old agency (Not only was my facility accredited, but we were one of a handful of fully accredited agencies), our SOPs, Operational Memorandums, Post Orders, and Administrative Regulations would fill at least 100 4 inch binders.

The advantage is that it somewhat limits liability if you're certified and follow those guidelines at all times (much like jail standards)
              sigpic
              Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

ACA has very little to do with real corrections. All I have seen is redundant paperwork and majoring on the minors. Like mentioned above, if you want to advance you need to be somewhat rounded. To be respected, though, you have to pay your dues and do some grunt work.

Comment

ACA is a waste of time and money. It doesn't matter who accredits you, it might look good to be accredited but it in no way protects you. If so of us on here haven't heard about ACA what makes us think a jufge will when an inmate brings a lawsuit.

I do though like thier courses, they are pretty good, I took the disturbane control, emergency plans and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by ICE Offcr View Post
                    ACA is a waste of time and money. It doesn't matter who accredits you, it might look good to be accredited but it in no way protects you. If so of us on here haven't heard about ACA what makes us think a jufge will when an inmate brings a lawsuit.

I do though like thier courses, they are pretty good, I took the disturbane control, emergency plans and a few others.
                    I hear they have a grammar and spelling course coming online soon.

Comment

ICE, Actually, if you follow ACA's accreditation procedures, you will significantly reduce the probability of a legit lawsuit by an inmate.

robeans, he works for ICE, cut him a break
                      sigpic
                      Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

An online Corrections academy? o_O
                        IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

My understanding is that's it's basically continuing education credits (Which, you may be able some Corrections and other LE credits free at http://www.texas-poseit.org/ even if you're not a TCLEOSE license holder, they will still let you take the classes and give you a transcript of what you've completed)
                          sigpic

Comment

Don't take courses you have to pay for through the ACA. Check out the National Institute of Corrections Website at www.nicic.org, they have some online courses you can take for FREE. You have to sign up and all that j*** but they're free.

Also, the nicic.org website has some good stuff in their "library" section on studies done, recidivism information, so called "best practices", and a bunch of other stuff. Read through there and you can really tell the direction corrections is going, WAAAAAAAAAY TO THE LEFT!

Anyhow, it's a good site and it's a federal organization.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4414 users online. 300 members and 4114 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X