300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry off duty?

How many of you are allowed to carry off duty by your department or carry under conceal weapons permit?

My Department does not allow, so would have to carry by permit.

We are allowed to carry since ALL are sworn deputy sheriffs. This includes patrol, Corrections, Court Security, and Animal Control for example.

Comment

I carry my Glock 19 off-duty and I am a Sworn in Deputy.

Comment

We take the oath of office at graduation (or did when I went to the academy), but in order to carry off duty we have to get a handgun license (we hire 18 year olds). There are a lot of my coworkers that I would not want to see with a weapon on or off duty.
        the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

We aren't sworn peace officers, but in Vermont you don't even need a concealed weapon permit (scary huh?). I've been thinking about picking a sidearm for off duty, any suggestions?
          WE DON'T GET PAID TO LOSE

"Be nice, until it's time NOT to be nice" ~ Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse

Comment

Originally posted by TX_CO View Post
            We take the oath of office at graduation (or did when I went to the academy), but in order to carry off duty we have to get a handgun license (we hire 18 year olds). There are a lot of my coworkers that I would not want to see with a weapon on or off duty.
            +1000
            I can't believe I do this for free!

Comment

Sworn Deputy, yes I carry off-duty.
              In God we trust. All others we run NCIC.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
              PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Comment

I cannot carry on my correctional officer status as state correctional officers are not considered law enforcement in IN. I am allowed to carry on my credentials of being a reserve police officer.
                I can't believe I do this for free!

Comment

NJDOC has full arrest powers. We carry. I carry as much as I can. Can never be too safe.
                  LT's Challenge Coins and Promotional Items.
                  LT's Challenge Coins on Facebook
                  Custom Challenge Coins, Dog Tags, Key Chains, Wristbands, and Patches.

**I was an NJPrisonCop when I joined this forum. I am now a NJPrisonLt**

Comment

Iowa-
                    NO we are not LEO's in IOwa
                    Many officers have ccw permits but here it is totally up to the county sheriff where you live if he wants to give you a permit. One of our weapons instructors lives in a county where the sheriff refuses to give out permits.
                    I don't carry myself. I could get a permit if I wanted one based on my prior LEO status but choose not to.

"There are a lot of my coworkers that I would not want to see with a weapon on or off duty." +1001
                    Unfortunately a few of them live in a neghboing county where the sheriff gives them out like candy....especially if they work in corrections!
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Originally posted by VtCO84 View Post
                      We aren't sworn peace officers, but in Vermont you don't even need a concealed weapon permit (scary huh?). I've been thinking about picking a sidearm for off duty, any suggestions?
                      Scary? No.

Not to hijack, but VT not only has the least restrictive gun laws in the us, we also happen to be the 2nd lowest state with violent crimes (I believe Maine has us beat, but only because no one actually lives there).

I always carry everywhere I go when I'm not in the facility. It's not so much because I'm afraid of running into a former inmate on the streets, but because I know that to become an inmate you must commit a crime first. I don't want to be the person that they commit said crime on to become an inmate.

Comment

post-deleted
                        Last edited by d10mack; 02-14-2008, 12:14 PM.

Comment

post-deleted
                          Last edited by d10mack; 02-14-2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VtCo View Post
                            Scary? No.

Not to hijack, but VT not only has the least restrictive gun laws in the us, we also happen to be the 2nd lowest state with violent crimes (I believe Maine has us beat, but only because no one actually lives there).

I always carry everywhere I go when I'm not in the facility. It's not so much because I'm afraid of running into a former inmate on the streets, but because I know that to become an inmate you must commit a crime first. I don't want to be the person that they commit said crime on to become an inmate.
                            i thought it was a little weird, but you do make a valid point.
                            WE DON'T GET PAID TO LOSE

"Be nice, until it's time NOT to be nice" ~ Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse

Comment

Yes, we carry on our badge. We are sworn Law Enforcement Officers here in Miami-Dade. And we fall under LEOSA (HR 218).

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13105 users online. 528 members and 12577 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X