300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CO1348 View Post

yes, fighting as in fist fighting, you get put into a company and you like everyone in the beginning and by the end you hate everyone, because many people are immature, everyone is from all different walks of life. Some people have military background, some are fresh out of high school, etc.
    This sounds a lot like life in general. If you are not able to learn, deal with, and adapt to different personalities within the academy this truly may not be the job for you (not you, i mean whoever had this altercation). You are absolutely correct, by the end you want to strangle some people. Its part of life, part of the job, and part of the training.

In a housing area every single day you could have 50 to 100 various personalities and temperaments to adapt to on the fly. If you aren't capable, or have a tough time with that, you will have a very tough time on this job. And thats not even factoring the various officers you need to deal with in service areas, or the various supervisors you'll need to deal with for various reasons.

This is a great career, but it absolutely isn't for everyone. Learning that sooner than later would be beneficial to not only you, but the dept as well.

Comment

I'm in the academy and I know plenty of correction officers, I also speak with the instructors at the academy and I know a bunch of retired CO's. I get reliable information, I am just sharing information.
      Yes I agree with mrosado4", you need to be on the job working in these fcuk up jails then you will understand what we are talking from our experience. The academy doesn't prepare you mentally for this job and like I said it not for everyone and it wasn't for me. I'm just sharing about my experience at obcc. You getting stuck 4/4 triplings everyday and working that wheel can screw up your sleep. Your exhausted from working all that OTand they wanna give you a late slip for coming to work a few minutes late, then they wanna write you up for stupid **** like how u can't keep a bunch of crooks quiet in the corrdoirs and also why there beds not made and cleaning etc. bottom line is they don't appreciate you coming to work and the morale sucks as well, no one has your back. Again that just my experience and I hate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimo427 View Post

I too went to OBCC with the last class and quit my third week on the job. Money isn't everything, for some it is but I loved hearing everyone in the academy saying how much they can't wait for this overtime. It flat out sucked, never left on time and from my location of residence it didn't make sense to leave and go home most of the time so I just bunkered down on the island. Avoid OBCC like the plague if you can, it's no RNDC like when they show you on the facility visit. I wish everyone luck who stays as a CO, I give them nothing but props as it wasn't something for me.
        My experience there was horrendous and the job was very degrading. when you quit did admin persuade and negotiated for you to stay by trying to give u a better tour and post etc? Most folks went back to there old job, I was sure glad to quit after a month feel like so much happier now

Comment

I'm in the academy and I know plenty of correction officers, I also speak with the instructors at the academy and I know a bunch of retired CO's. I get reliable information, I am just sharing information.
          You can't comment until you're on the job. Period. At this point, you have absolutely no credibility and should refrain from commenting until you get your shield and assume the floor. What a retired CO tells you means absolutely nothing because the job has done a complete 180 over the last few years. Once you get to jail, you'll hear many of the old-timers say that. In fact, many of the veterans are the ones who tell us that we should keep our options open because of how much the organization has changed.

Morale is incredibly low, and the DOC has turned into a inmate-loving organization that is only worried about keeping numbers down. A lot of people from the class have quit, and many more are waiting for another agency to pick them up. I know a lot of people who have started applying to other agencies and are taking tests again just to get the hell out. People are even testing out of state as agencies tend to move a lot quicker outside of the NYC metropolitan area
          Last edited by ShadowMoses; 10-12-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShadowMoses View Post

You can't comment until you're on the job. Period. At this point, you have absolutely no credibility and should refrain from commenting until you get your shield and assume the floor. What a retired CO tells you means absolutely nothing because the job has done a complete 180 over the last few years. Once you get to jail, you'll hear many of the old-timers say that. In fact, many of the veterans are the ones who tell us that we should keep our options open because of how much the organization has changed.

Morale is incredibly low, and the DOC has turned into a inmate-loving organization that is only worried about keeping numbers down. A lot of people from the class have quit, and many more are waiting for another agency to pick them up. I know a lot of people who have started applying to other agencies and are taking tests again just to get the hell out. People are even testing out of state as agencies tend to move a lot quicker outside of the NYC metropolitan area
            Yes the morale is totally low in doc and the job is extremely degrading and at roll call all those capt and dep and other supervisor just talk down on you to demoralize you nothing but threats if u don't do this they write u up etc. A whole **** load of ppl I came out with are quitting waiting for other jobs and most goes back to there old city job. If they having trouble keeping ppl on the job wtf they writing them up for dump ****. How they expect u to work like a mule with a **** load of ot n expect u not to.bangin. doc has the highest turn over rate of all city jobs and in the academy never tell you the bad side of the job most ppl didn't know what they sign up for I never knew I had to work triples every day and get **** thrown on me from inmate the whole administrator is ***** and does not back up co and staff are so unprofessional. Senior co took an advantage of me by taking an 1.20 hr meal making me a herb . Again u on your own in this job. Quitting was the best **** I ever did

Comment

• Happy Monday Everyone,

I'm looking to sell some NYC DOC equipment that is not needed anymore, They are as follows

Holster-$75 (Around $150 in most cop shops, link of holster below)
              Magazine pouch-$10
              size 42" duty rig belt-$20
              size 38" cargo pants- $25(never worn and will be needed in jails after graduation)

Please send me a message if interested, Thank you all!

http://www.safariland.com/products/h...9.html#start=1

Comment

I'll shut up. Your absolutely right. Thanks for your professional advice.

Comment

• Those who are on the job, is it beneficial to take up boxing or judo or etc

Comment

• Like how bad is the bs? I mean i dealt with a lot of bs in the army. Is it compatible or worse?

Comment

• How is obcc as a facility any pros cons? Etc I have ojt starting Monday just trying to get get a feel of how that facility is

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12402 users online. 467 members and 11935 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X