Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probation Officers don't get respect either!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probation Officers don't get respect either!

I am a Probation Officer in FL. We don't get the respect or pay. We don't get overtime. We must have a 4 year college degree yet no other law enforcement agency need it to get hired. We can carry a weapon but must buy our own. Management acts as though we are crazy for carrying a weapon and believe it's not needed. Half the officers don't carry and treat this job like it's a social workers position. I dress for the job, my BDU, cuff, gun, oc spray, vest. Everyone else where dress clothing. I was even told to wear a dress and heels to work and change when I go into the field. Needless to say, I did not. What happens when I have on heels and some offender decides he does not like what I stand for or what I am saying? I am fed up with the lack of respect the officers get in central fl. I plan to go to law enforcement school in January to become a certified law enforcement officer, then I can do my job and not worry about getting into trouble because I had to cuff someone. Heck, we make arrests but don't tell the offender until after the deputy come and then we say you are under arrest and let the deputy take them away. It's a joke. Burning up gas driving 200 plus miles every other day and for what to be saddled with loads of cases and investigations and to be treated like crap. Maybe it's just the circuit that I am in but I am fed up. I plan to be in good shape by the time the academy start and look forward to working with a local agency. I want to do some real law enforcement. As it looks to me, Correction Officer's have it good. At least you can cross over to law enforcement, Probation can't...I have to take the whole academy again. That's how much respect we get.

NJSP requires a 4yr degree
    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Lots of Law Enforcement agencies require a 4 year degree. Not all PO's get shat on. CO's can cross over to the street about as easy as a cook can. And you think you have it bad? Look at Washington state. Our guy's aren't even called probation or parole, but "Community Corrections Officers". They don't get paid crap and have been the on the shat end of the stick around here for the last few years.

And my last point will be that: The grass is greener on the other side, till you get there and it is just as brown and crappy as before.

Comment

------------------
        alienbow
        Forum Member
        Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 05:54 AM.
        www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

...then why Probation

That's quite a rant. Good luck, and hope you someday find the respect you feel you deserve.
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

I wonder if people in Administration started on the lowest level and got up that high. How can they have their heads that far up their asses when it comes to Officer safety?

Comment

Originally posted by PO in MD View Post
              I am a Probation Officer in FL. We don't get the respect or pay. We don't get overtime. We must have a 4 year college degree yet no other law enforcement agency need it to get hired. We can carry a weapon but must buy our own. Management acts as though we are crazy for carrying a weapon and believe it's not needed. Half the officers don't carry and treat this job like it's a social workers position. I dress for the job, my BDU, cuff, gun, oc spray, vest. Everyone else where dress clothing. I was even told to wear a dress and heels to work and change when I go into the field. Needless to say, I did not. What happens when I have on heels and some offender decides he does not like what I stand for or what I am saying? I am fed up with the lack of respect the officers get in central fl. I plan to go to law enforcement school in January to become a certified law enforcement officer, then I can do my job and not worry about getting into trouble because I had to cuff someone. Heck, we make arrests but don't tell the offender until after the deputy come and then we say you are under arrest and let the deputy take them away. It's a joke. Burning up gas driving 200 plus miles every other day and for what to be saddled with loads of cases and investigations and to be treated like crap. Maybe it's just the circuit that I am in but I am fed up. I plan to be in good shape by the time the academy start and look forward to working with a local agency. I want to do some real law enforcement. As it looks to me, Correction Officer's have it good. At least you can cross over to law enforcement, Probation can't...I have to take the whole academy again. That's how much respect we get.

What do you concider real law enforcement? You have to respect yourself first and by looking at what your post you dont. You say you want to do "real law enforcement". That right there shows a lack of personal respect. Corrections officers in many if not most or all states would have to go through another academy to become police officers. Even COs who are peace officers have a different level of certification and have to go through a police academy. NY and California for example.

Comment

Most of those agencies are ran by people who majored in Social Work, Psychology, and Sociology. Hugging thugs got them their success and they see any other way as "unenlightened" and only to be practiced by Neanderthal-like knuckledraggers.

These people identify with criminals and see themselves as ombudsmen protecting the criminals' interests against the inequities of an insensitive and oppressive system.
                "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Originally posted by hankrearden2000 View Post
                  Most of those agencies are ran by people who majored in Social Work, Psychology, and Sociology. Hugging thugs got them their success and they see any other way as "unenlightened" and only to be practiced by Neanderthal-like knuckledraggers.

These people identify with criminals and see themselves as ombudsmen protecting the criminals' interests against the inequities of an insensitive and oppressive system.
                  Yup, pretty much sums up every PO I've ever dealt with in this country. I always thought that it was great that the US had a system whereby law enforcement professionals would actually monitor people on probation and ensure they returned to prison if they ignored the conditions of their release.
                  I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

mgrif, when I said real law enforcement I meant being able to enforce the law, the court orders, probation and parole orders and to be allowed by management to adhere to the fl statutes and procedures. My discussion is on Florida and Florida only. No where in this state does a law enforcement officer need a 4 year degree but probation. And as far as crossover, in Florida, corrections can cross over to law enforcement and by that I mean they take a modified class and not the entire academy. Probation Officers can not cross over and we work with the same population but on the outside going to their homes, doing investigations, probable cause arrests, etc and we are not allowed to cross over and must take the whole academy over. It's not that I don't have respect for the profession or myself, it's Probation Officer's not being respected enough to do their job. Again, my comments are for Florida and Florida only. I am not the only officer that feels this way. Most of the ones who are comfortible are retired from previous jobs and like it, it is a cushy job for those older. Respect for myself does not enter into the equation. I am an excellent officer and recently was promoted. I know what I want and I am taking the necessary steps to effect that change.
                    Thank YOu.

Comment

I am an excellent officer and recently was promoted. I know what I want and I am taking the necessary steps to effect that change.
                      Thank YOu.
                      NC PO here. What you said here is the most you can ask for. Management will always have the same CYA position and the sad truth (speaking for NC) is that alot of management got where they are from a lot of brown nosing when they should have been working in the field. Do your job, stay within policy but let policy work to your advantage when you can. Don't give in to jockeying a desk just because management is more relieved when you are. Yeah, community corrections across the nation has a backwards mentality. There's more like you out there (me for instance) who want to do justice to the job. My last advice though... once you hate your job, it's time to find something else.

Cockney- I partially agree with you. As a PO, I deal with management that came from the "rehab and sympathy" mentality. I'm sorry every encounter you've ever had with PO's made you feel worse about the US justice system. We're not all like that. I've seized way more dope and guns as a PO than I ever did as a patrol officer. If the offender had either, they get violated and go to court or before a Parole Commission. Unfortunately, I can't always get a judge or PC to agree with my recommendation to revoke their probation.
                      Kelly828
                      Forum Member
                      Last edited by Kelly828; 07-23-2007, 10:42 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Comment

I'm also a PO in NC full-time. The job has it good and bad points. I spent ten years as a cop full-time before I started doing this, so I don't consider myself a very "good" PO. My solution to probation violations is arrest, the department is not really behind that a lot of the time. Still, I'm within policy, so they can't stop me. I'll bend over backwards to help someone who really wants to turn their life around, I'll arrest someone in a heartbeat that does not.
                        -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

I agree with you Probation/parole agents are overlooked and forgotten memebers of the LE field. My wife is an Pro/par agent and she was a CO before. I personally feel all pro/par agents should spend time as a CO get the real perspective of offenders. Most come from college and end up being social workers. My wife goes into the same hoods I currently work ,unarmed, meeting with society's worst with just another agent and a cell phone. At least in FL. you get to carry. Take and be safe.
                          Oh yeah, I did 12 year stint as CO, believe me they do not have it better than pro/par agents.
                          dpatrol
                          In Memory of "051"
                          Last edited by dpatrol; 07-30-2007, 10:10 PM.
                          We will never for forget , in memory of "051", my baby brother, E.O.W. 09/23/98.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly828 View Post
                            Cockney- I partially agree with you. [...] I'm sorry every encounter you've ever had with PO's made you feel worse about the US justice system. We're not all like that.
                            No, no, don't get me wrong. I am genuinely impressed, on reading posts from US PO's, about how proactively you deal with naughtiness on the part of the people you supervise. This is just not my experience of PO's in my country. I wouldn't criticise your criminal justice system - as a foreigner, that would be rather presumptious.
                            I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

I was a correction officer in NYC and now I'm in the NYPD Police Academy, I couldn't just cross over... I'm going through 6 months of hell to be a cop......
                              Really "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts In New York City"!
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3436 users online. 227 members and 3209 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X