300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New C/O and have some questions

I worked many years in the private security industry and recently became a C/O at a large city jail. Well I was on my way to work one day in street clothes and had someone in a car at a red light yelling hey to me and I am 99% sure it was a female I booked in a week before hand. It got me thinking that maybe I should obtain my ccw for off duty carry. Some of my co workers ccw and some say they don’t feel the need. I’m not overly concerned about it but I’ve heard where guys have run into ex inmates on the streets.

I also have another concern about searching inmates and their property during intake. All the veterans said don’t buy needle resistance gloves because you can’t feel anything. I am so worried about finding needles on someone or rummaging through their backpacks.

Another concern is self defense. Should I take some sort of martial arts?

You have to assume that the offender has never been searched when they arrive at the jail. A friend of mine missed a gun in the offender's cowboy boot one time, and the CO caught it. Embarrassing, but there you go.

Practice with gloves.

Any kind of unarmed self defense training is worth the effort. Just keep practicing. Muscle memory is priceless.
    Last edited by Joe2845; 09-28-2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OhiCo View Post
      I worked many years in the private security industry and recently became a C/O at a large city jail. Well I was on my way to work one day in street clothes and had someone in a car at a red light yelling hey to me and I am 99% sure it was a female I booked in a week before hand. It got me thinking that maybe I should obtain my ccw for off duty carry. Some of my co workers ccw and some say they don’t feel the need. I’m not overly concerned about it but I’ve heard where guys have run into ex inmates on the streets.

I also have another concern about searching inmates and their property during intake. All the veterans said don’t buy needle resistance gloves because you can’t feel anything. I am so worried about finding needles on someone or rummaging through their backpacks.

Another concern is self defense. Should I take some sort of martial arts?
      I worked in a large (for Iowa in the 80"s ) agency in the jail and patrol As a Deputy Sheriff and then almost 30 yrs for the Iowa DOC in a maximum security penitentiary. AND have been working for a small Sheriff's Office for the last 12 yrs since I retired from the DOC .

I have met literally THOUSANDS of former inmates/ persons I have arrested out on the streets. This included bad arse hard core gang bangers. In the 45 yrs I have NEVER had a problem when meeting one of them on the streets. ONE time I had a guy mean mug me, but though better than that when I kinda sorta reach to my waist. I was a deputy sheriff at the time and was a long way from my jurisdiction .........but armed.
      When I LEFT the DOC I obtained a CCW but then went to work for the Sheriff anyway.
      Over the years I saw several ex inmates eye me and cross the street to avoid me ( OR I did so myself) & my family has always know If I told them to get lost or leave the area that they should do so with out delay or comment BUT the vast majority of convicts have wanted to tell me how good they are doing after prison ...
      My thoughts are --------get adequate training and CARY. Today is different times. But be trained to do so first

QUALITY protective gloves probably should be standard issue to Correctional Officers. FULL DISCLOSURE: I am old school & never have used them.........never worried about it BUT today is different & I rarely search people coming from the street now

I was always of the school that the agency should be training an officer for safety on the job. As a supervisor / administrator I worried about an employee using a procedure that had not been trained by the agency it could open both the officer and the employer to civil litigation should something go wrong. Once again .........you need TRAINING & if the agency isn't giving it to you............you need to find something because you WILL have some idiot trying you in the intake area or on the jail block at some point in time

REMEMBER at all times that agency policy drives anything you do-------in that Crap Hits the Fan situation where you HAVE to do what you HAVE to do...................protect yourself at all costs with anything you can, but in most ON DUTY situations you need to follow policy or the agency can AND will drive the bus over you to protect THEM

As I have said several times............................TIMES HAVE CHANGED........More and more criminals / arrestees are challenging cops on the streets and in the institutions..

You should have noticed in this answer 2 themes............................GET TRAINED PROPERLY & TIMES HAVE CHANGED over the years. People, criminals and arrestees are acting differently than in decades past.. If your agency is not training you to keep yourself safe (both on duty and off duty) you need to find adequate training and yea , pay for it if you need to do so.

Good luck in your career
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-01-2022, 10:59 PM.
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3456 users online. 183 members and 3273 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X