300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County vs State

I currently work at the state level as a CO, everything from minimum to supermax. I was wondering if it's any different working for a county department instead?
    I can't believe I do this for free!

I have worked 2 states and a smaller (600) size county and I must say that county was a little more action packed. But the problems that people in county bring are way worse. Those people are coming in hoped up on drugs or un-medicated mental disease. Drunks are fun yet a hassle to deal with. The pay can and usually is better, from what I've seen. They both have their ups and downs, but I must say I enjoyed county a little more.

Comment

Benefits here are better with State, but county has a lot of fun at times.

County/City Jailers are certified after an 80 hr (minimum) class, State CO's spend 6 weeks at Academy, then 2 weeks on OJT but are not "certified" by anyone but our agency.
      the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

No offence, but the term "jailer" rubs me the wrong way, like "guard". moving on.

I work for county and have for almost ten years. I originally took the job to move to the streets but enjoy it so much I stayed. Drunks are fun but can cause you alot of internal affair grief (we have cameras EVERYWHERE). Our county is pretty close to my home and pays way more than our state Officers. I highly recommend county.
        Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

Jailer is the term that is accepted here, not being used offensively.

I hate the term "Guard" with a passion.

Corrections Officers and Jailers are not peace officers in Texas, but as a State Employee I have much better benefits than I did at county.

Comment

The county I worked at uses the term Detention Officer vs the state using Corrections Officer, I preferred it like that.

Comment

the whole guard discussion cracks me up.. here at my camp a Guard is "Old School".. and an Officer is a asskissin' rat... Guess it depends on where you are.. I am happily called a guard
              OkieCory

Comment

we joke around...and call each other:

baggy pants jailer, bailiff's, road guards
                " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Guards can be found in crosswalks with school children.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2397 users online. 161 members and 2236 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X