300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sworn in Correctional Officers

Hello, I was just wandering how many of you officers out there are sworn in? The prison where i work is looking into this along with the benefits and all aspects of it. I was curious if individuals who are sworn in could give me some feedback on the benefits and how it impacts them or just any general information.

We are sworn, feel free to ask me questions in PM.
    Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

We were sworn into office at the academy graduation years ago but it doesn't mean squat here we are not peace officers. I'm not even sure that they still swear them in at graduation anymore.

Our benefits are determined by the State Legislature, union representation is a joke here and they are virtually ineffective on important issues (correctional peace officer status, raises, etc.).
      Last edited by TX_CO; 06-05-2007, 11:49 AM.
      the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

I think, for the most part that swearing in and LEO POST Certification go hand and hand. There really are only a hand full of states that do this. But there are also a few counties that have full out deputies working the jail, like LA County. I like the whole swearing in thing myself, not because it gives me any kind of super powers or anything, but it has to do with the mindset of the whole thing. I guess it helps to separate the "Guards" from the "Officers".

Comment

I was never sworn in, but I am a certified Peace Officer. Graduating the academy gives you the Officer status.

Comment

We are sworn on graduation day from the academy
            Incarceration is and in itself a form of punishment
            Car Ramroad

I'm more afraid of being nothing, than I am of being hurt

My views are in no way associated with the views of NYS or DOCS and anything that may seem that way is purely coincidental

Comment

hey Bulldog...I want that flashlight!!! lol
              If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

we are

In North Carolina all Correctional Officers are sworn in upon graduating from BCOT. And, we are peace officers here.
                Knowledge is not power; the application of knowledge can be!

Comment

We are sworn in when we are hired and receive OJT until we attend the academy. Here in New York State the departments have up to a year to send you to the academy. If you don't go to the academy within your first year, you lose your peace officer status and you cannot have any inmate contact until you do attend the academy.
                  "Either lead or get out of the way"

Comment

Georgia Correctional Officers are Peace officers and we are sworn in after we complete BCOT
                    Line is ready. Shooters ready. Attention!

Comment

Cook County (Chicago and the outline area) has their CO's as Deputy Sheriff/Correctional Officers. We are sworn in peace officers.

Comment

For the BOP at Leavenworth, new officers and new staff were sworn in during institution familiarization. We have federal law enforcement status, as per the United States Department of Justice, United States Code, and others I don't remember right off hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Hack View Post
                          For the BOP at Leavenworth, new officers and new staff were sworn in during institution familiarization. We have federal law enforcement status, as per the United States Department of Justice, United States Code, and others I don't remember right off hand.
                          TITLE 18, PART II, CHAPTER 203, § 3050 find it here:http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...0----000-.html

Comment

Ohio state correction officers are not considered sworn peace officers, unfortunately.

Comment

Inidiana State COs are not sworn, or considered LE for that matter. We fall under public safety. I've heard they have tried to change that but it never gets very far.
                              I can't believe I do this for free!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6279 users online. 325 members and 5954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X