300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound right.

Does any one know the inside story of this.

It was a chaotic, frantic scene at Stroger Hospital.

A convicted murderer was being treated for a skin disorder when he pulled out a shank, stabbed a guard in the neck, wrestled him for his gun and fled down the hall. He hijacked a shuttle bus before being stopped.

Cook County Correctional Officer Vito Zaccaro lost blood from the stab wound on his neck. But he never gave up his 9mm handgun and gave chase until he helped to stop Willis Reese's escape attempt.

Now, two months later, Cook County Board President Todd Stroger's Office has told Zaccaro he can't prove his injuries happened while he was on duty.

Officials are denying his request for duty-related injury benefits. Additionally, Stroger Hospital officials have sent the 19-year officer a $3,750 medical bill for the emergency services he received that day.

"I'm flabbergasted," Zaccaro said. "What do I have to do for them to believe I was working? Get killed?"

Stroger spokeswoman Ibis Antongiorgi said because Zaccaro has a claim for compensation pending, she can't comment on his case. The letter from Stroger's office denying him benefits doesn't explain, either.

Zaccaro's attorney, James Marszalek, said "it's shocking he's being treated like this."

"This guy was a hero," he said. "Now they're jacking him around."

Sheriff Tom Dart visited Zaccaro in the ER that day and vowed to do all he could to help his family, but the decision to provide benefits is out of his hands, officials said.

And while the injury to Zaccaro's neck has healed, he continues to have to take shots for hepatitis and sexually transmitted diseases because investigators believe Reese hid the weapon in his rectum.

Reese was using the bathroom in the moments before the attack, Zaccaro said, and -- following protocol -- his handcuffs were removed.

Zaccaro said he expects to go back to work in June. But as the sole provider for himself and his wife of 16 years, Mary, he hasn't had a paycheck in two months.

With the denial of benefits from Stroger's office, he says he doesn't know how he'll pay the mounting bills at home. But he did have an answer for those who sent him a hospital bill.

"I sent it back to them with a note," he said. " 'Keep dreaming.'"

I just read that on Officer.com. I truely hope there is more to the story than this.
    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

I really wish that there was more to the story but there is not. And I am really familiar with the Officer and the POS inmate.

Comment

Sadly it does sound right.

Correctional management at its best.

We have had officers injured, inside the facility, by convicts and they have been denied as "non-work related injuries". It is far too often the position of management that somehow the officer was responsible, thus it is not their responsibility to cover it.

Now then, if it were the convict that were hurt he would be receiving the Gold-plated treatment, along with a sufficent amount of a**kissing from management.

Comment

Time to lawyer up!
          Be sure you're right, then go ahead
          Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
          If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

With the amount of money they pay for the medical treatment of inmates, it sickens me to see them to try to screw over one of their officers like that.

Comment

j

The reason why they bend over backwards for I/Ms is because the I/Ms
              will sue. Its high time the staff start filing legal actions all over the place to get them to step and fetch for us as well. I'm sick of C/Os getting the short end. LAWYER UP INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ohplezz

We had a situation similar occur at my joint. Officer was in the work station and tried to sit down in the chair. Well the chair with wheels goes one way and officer goes the other and ends up getting knocked out cold in the process. Our weasel safety officer says," Can you prove that you where knocked out. Were their any witnesses to this incident?" This C/O is top notch and would not pull any BS like this ahole implied. But thats the way it goes in the gray bar hotel.

Comment

Get this. We had two officers stick them selves on a hypodermic needle hidden in a new arrestees jacket. The firts officer "cut" himself and went to apply a bandage. The second officer finished the search and stuck himself also, but found the needle. The needle was obviously used and had dried blood IN it. The officers immediately went ot the emergency room and were give the "cocktail". They took that for months. The first month they were so sick, they missed a few weeks. The department refused to say that their sicknesss was a result of getting stuck and denied their claims. How's that for "thanks" for working the busiest position in the department.
                  Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

Workmen's comp is a big issue. Employers don't like to pay it, whatever the reason. It will be interesting to see why the county politicians think that they can get away with denying this particular claim. If they succeed people need to see the light and start jumping out of that agency as fast as they can find another job. I can’t help but believe this guy will win in the end, but why would anyone else want to go through the same kind of harassment?
                    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Cook County politics is at an all time low. Google it up and you will make yourself sick. The way the jail is run is also at an all time low.

Comment

Check this site out http://calsatf.org/home.htm . Yep, time to lawyer up.

Comment

Knowing my admin I would have to pay them back. Just because it happened during work hours.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4516 users online. 245 members and 4271 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X