300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gotta ask....

As an LEO, all the suspects I arrest go to a privately run prison. How does that work, and how do you feel about it? I'm confused on how a corporation can own, and run a prison...some how I cannot fit it into my head.
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

they don't technically own the prison, they contract with the various state govt's and the feds for services rendered. Private companies get a nominal fee per inmate to house, feed, etc. etc. Where the privates make money is by cutting back in areas in order to make that nominal per inmate fee add up to big bucks. They'll hire only the amount of staff absolutely, positively necessary to run the facility without losing the contract. They'll skimp on gear, such as sub par firearms, cuffs, oc, uniforms etc. They'll pay the staff only a few bucks above minimum wage. They'll skimp on the training and background check requirements.

Do you see a pattern? Private correctional corporations are bad news, even the halfway decent facilities are governed by the ol' mighty bottom line. Privates are always looking to cut in order to maximize profit and how is that safe in a field such as corrections? Yeah states try to cut the fat as well, but a government is not in the correctional business for profit, it's a necessity for public safety.

You've got it right though, there is no real way to wrap your head around a corporation running a prison.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't think so. I don't see Corrections as a profit making industry...granted there will be no shortage of customers, and the CO's I come into contact with almost never seem happy.
      You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

In Missouri, the companies own the prisons/jails....and contract them out to places that have ran out of room or are too small to run their own place.....

Comment

Originally posted by D.o.D cop View Post
          Yeah, I didn't think so. I don't see Corrections as a profit making industry...
          By what I was told in Correction Officer Academy building and running a prison is a profitable industry if done correctly.
          Apparently where the problems come into play is when standards are dropped and law suits go up.

However, I disagree with privately ran correction facilities as stated. Like they say, "You get what you pay for..." And at $7 per hour your not going to get much of a CO.
          Ever feel like you live in the state of confusion?

Comment

Anyone see Corrections Corp of Americas recruiting video?? makes me sick
            If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

Private prisons

These places suck way to bad. Their is crap unless you are up in the administration. i.e. warden or above in most cases. The working conditions also suck. The inmate to officer ratio can often be close to 200 to 1.

I used to work for CCA and they will screw you over a lot faster than the state ever thought too. I am proud to work state corrections and would never even think of going back to a private prison.

In short Privately run prisons suck. And end up costing the state/county more money than if they ran it themselves.
              It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't think so. I don't see Corrections as a profit making industry...
                The inmates in Texas might argue that.

granted there will be no shortage of customers, and the CO's I come into contact with almost never seem happy.
                I work for the state, and I must honestly say... I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!!!
                "Hostages will not be recognized as a means or method of escape from this institution."

Comment

What powers do a private facility even have to exercise? I can't see working in private corrections, and pray that feds nor state go entirely that route. But, darn if some aren't trying to get it towards that in the feds. I'm glad I have only nine years to be eligible for retirement.

Comment

Most of the things that are pointed out as being wron g with private prisons apply equally to the feds too. It's the same mentality calling the shots. Cut staff and other costs, damn the consequences. Appease inmates, damn the consequences. From my readings on the subject the only measure by which the BOP can be said superior to the privates is in staff salaries & benefits. Hell, the biggest customer of the the private prison industry is the federal government. There's no doubt in my mind that many high level administrators in the BOP would privatize nearly every function of the BOP if Congress would allow it.
                    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

One of the CCAs out in AZ fired everyone one day and two days later sent them letters offering them their jobs back at highly reduced pay. Great job security.

Wardens from CCA out here are all former BOP wardens I have known from one place or another. CCA is corrupt.

Comment

Every BOP warden except one, that I have personally known who has retired went to CCA as a warden.
                        "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

CCA here in Leavenworth pays about 7 bucks an hour more than the state.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbrewer View Post
                            I had a worthless co-worker leave my last PD to go to work for them..... She was always bragging how much more money she was making there starting off than she was at our agency with 2 years on.......

Comment

Originally posted by ksbrewer View Post
                              True but, that institution is not typical of CCA. The reason salaries are so high at CCA Leavenworth is because they have a contract with the US Marshals Service. Federal law requires that contractors for the federal government pay the prevailing wage for the local area.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6791 users online. 347 members and 6444 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X