300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discretion

I get alot of discretion in how I handle my block where I work, but I'm not sure if I'm being too lax. I will write inmates up for major rule violations, but I try to give warnings for minors and if it continues write.

Am I being too lax? I feel I have good people skills, and can usually get my point across without writing at first step. Though I don't want my Supervisors to think I'm just lazy, and don't want to do the paper work for a write.

You can't sweat the little stuff all the time. If you tell an inmate to stop a certain action, and he doesn't you can then write him up. Writing a minor rule infraction on someone doing life will do nothing except make him mad.

When I tell a knucklehead to stop doing something, and he totally ignores me, I like to remind him how disrespectful it was and shake the $h!t out of his cell every few days until he gets the point.
    Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

Stewie, we are in the same boat. (Although I don't really run a cell hall, I may be there for a few days and move on to the next.) I don't write to many minors if I can get by with it. We are Officers who HAVE DISCRETION. Now if someone calls me names, they will get a vacation to the SHU. But if there doing something minor I will tell them to correct it. My feeling is I have to put up with these guys for so many hours a day/week. Why make my job any harder when the unit staff more then likely drop it anyways. Our unit staff are pretty lax as far as backing us up.

Comment

Depends on the infraction. Depends on the inmate. If I have been running a block for a little while, and I see the minor infraction being done in front of me lots. Somebodys going to the hole. I will write and cuff untill my point is made. When the thugs figure out that they must be circumspect in their behaviour, I will settle it down. Can't stop all the infractions, but you can stop the thugs from "fronting you out".

Comment

Consistency is the key. As long as you are doing it the same way every time there shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie View Post
            I get alot of discretion in how I handle my block where I work, but I'm not sure if I'm being too lax. I will write inmates up for major rule violations, but I try to give warnings for minors and if it continues write.

Am I being too lax? I feel I have good people skills, and can usually get my point across without writing at first step. Though I don't want my Supervisors to think I'm just lazy, and don't want to do the paper work for a write.
            People skills is where it is at....effective interpersonal communication is key...

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Here we have to attempt informal resolution if possible before writing a case.
                the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

Firm, Fair, and CONSISTANT!

If I catch something minor, I usually give the inmate a choice,
                  I can work (filling out paper work)
                  or he can work.
                  I have pretty clean dorms.

Comment

ICA's = Instant Corrective Action

For small things, make them instantly pay. GI Cleaning, exercise, essay...something that is taxing on them! For big things, do not hesitate using a state pen and state paper to make them do harder state time!!
                    Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CO4NYSsoon2bDI View Post
                      ICA's = Instant Corrective Action

For small things, make them instantly pay. GI Cleaning, exercise, essay...something that is taxing on them! For big things, do not hesitate using a state pen and state paper to make them do harder state time!!
                      I would hate to be in your shoes if an inmate gets injuried while your making him do exercise. I can only see where my admin would take this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. CO View Post
                        I would hate to be in your shoes if an inmate gets injuried while your making him do exercise. I can only see where my admin would take this.
                        No doubt, I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I try not to do anything to those $h!theads to get me days off or fired. I'll wait till I get a green light :x
                        Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

Instant corrective action like soontobeDI said. I handle my **** when i have a block that way, I caught a a guy rigging his hot pot one night while i was making rounds, I made him give me the copper wire and then told the console officer to crack him out when he did i told him he owed me some work details cause the block looked a little dirty. I made him clean the GI the radiators and the windows on the bottom tier. I ve found that you get ore respect that way from an inmate than you do by writing **** down on paper. I am all in favor for Tier IVs they work the best
                          Incarceration is and in itself a form of punishment
                          Car Ramroad

I'm more afraid of being nothing, than I am of being hurt

My views are in no way associated with the views of NYS or DOCS and anything that may seem that way is purely coincidental

Comment

i

Keeplocked after the next count. I just forget about unlocking I/Ms cells who don't do the little things I like done.

Comment

I won't write an inmate for many of the smaller offenses, I'll simply give them a verbal warning. Now if they don't straighten up after I give them their verbal, I take that as a sign of disrespect and I'll lock them in for the offense.

We have some younger officers that LOVE writing inmates for every little thing (Unmade bed, improperly made bed, altered safety pens, improperly worn jumpsuit, keeping food off of their trays etc.)

I enjoy writing reports. I'm pretty good at it and I have never had a charge that didn't stick (knock on wood), but I don't write many. When I do, the inmates realize they deserved what they got. Plain and simple.

Now I do give plenty of warnings every day

I have seen officers that lock in inmates for 24hrs for keeping 2 sugar packets from their meal trays. And they all have "rough days" at work all of the time. I have learned a day in Corrections is much of how you make it. If you make it a bumpy road everyday you will get burned out and hate your job. If you don't let every little thing bother you, you may actually enjoy your job. Its about how you go about things.

A off subject question: Does anyone have a good resource for weapons, specifically those made using newspaper? Though any kind would be appreciated.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3666 users online. 232 members and 3434 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X