300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correctional officer and jury duty?

Do correctional officers qualify for pc 830 part as exempt from jury duty?
    tested in San Diego- SWB, 10/11
    NOR-11/11
    TSL- 11/17/11
    pft1- 12/8/11
    Pre-E Forms-completed 3/12
    Qual- completed 3/12
    Medical Ex- completed 4/12
    S I-completed 3/12
    Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
    Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
    Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
    Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
    new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

I'm afraid you are out of luck.

California Code of Civil Procedure
    219. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), the jury commissioner shall randomly select jurors for jury panels to be sent to courtrooms for voir dire.

(b) (1) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), no peace officer, as
    defined in Section 830.1, subdivision (a) of Section 830.2, and
    subdivision (a) of Section 830.33, of the Penal Code, shall be
    selected for voir dire in civil or criminal matters.

(2) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), no peace officer, as defined
    in subdivisions (b) and (c) of Section 830.2 of the Penal Code, shall
    be selected for voir dire in criminal matters.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Here in Kansas I simply tell them that I may be biased in favor of local law enforcement. I haven't served here yet. In Missouri when working for them, I said the same thing, once or twice. For what it's worth, the Feds would carry me on admin leave and pay me anyway, if it was for jury duty.

Comment

j

Don't worry. No defense atty is ever going to allow a C/O to be on a jury. I wish I could be on one though. My mom lucked out a while back and got on a murder trail jury. It took weeks! She got admin leave through her fed job and sent the bastid to prison for LIFE My moma rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
          Don't worry. No defense atty is ever going to allow a C/O to be on a jury.
          Don't be so sure on that one. A co-worker got jury duty one time, showed up in uniform hoping to leave. The defense attorney was too busy striking other people he must have forgot about our guy. The defense attorney ran out of strikes and the DA picked my friend.
          The defendant ended up being found guilty and received 85 years.
          Road Captain
          Blue Knights TX XIX

Comment

Originally posted by Mole177 View Post
            Do correctional officers qualify for pc 830 part as exempt from jury duty?
            From what I understand, if it's a civil case we have to do it. f it's a criminal case "Felony" we are exempt. No matter ayways, we get paid by the bureau to do it just like would would if we whereat work.
            "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight"

- General George Patton Jr

Comment

here in NC

I have been called 2 x so far, showed up in uniform and was told thanks but no thanks...

Comment

We have had COs on juries here all the time...one was nominated as the jury foreman in a death penalty case.
                I have received a summons 3 times and been excluded only once. The response to our summons has a place to put why you should be excluded. I told them what I do each time.

Comment

And in Georgia...

Certified peace officers are excused from duty, but not COs or detention officers. Moreover, if you have a good judge like the Superior Court judge in my county, you'd better show up for jury duty or risk being tossed in jail.

Comment

Just being a CO might not excuse you, but telling them what you think of criminals might

Comment

I have a summons for the 4th of June, and since I will be on my way to work (hopefully) I will be in uniform. So we shall see what happens.
                      the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

Everytime I have been called (4 times in the last 5 years) I just put on the form that I am a CO and get a nice letter back telling me thanks, but I am excused from it.

Comment

C/O's are likely to get put onto juries, if the jury pool selected for that particular trial is full of others that are more important to perempt than you. Defense attorney's and Prosecutors get so many peremptory challenges, or free strikes, but after that they have to motion for dismissal due to some sort of cause or just deal with who is in the jury box at the end of voir dire. A lot of times law enforcement won't get dismissed for cause and defense attorney's run out of peremptory challenges. There's more law enforcement and pro prosecution individuals on juries than you may think.

Comment

Why get out of it?

I show up. Get paid for a full day at work. Get out of jury duty by ten. Go fishing. Couldn't be better.

Comment

Just one time

I'd like to, just once, get called for jury duty and find that the defendant is one of the heifers that resisted/spit at me/refused to comply/cried harassment during patdown/questioned my sexual orientation during strip search/tried to keester a crackpipe in her nasty hoo-hah.

It would be soooo satisfying to sit there and smile

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5033 users online. 372 members and 4661 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X