300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed, odd problem

Alright, I'm going on my fourth week now, and I've got a problem none of the other new employees seem to have, even though at least one is a completely lazy do nothing.

I'm...being babied by the other officers, and the boss. I've more than proved myself, I booked in an obnoxious drunk AND a guy with a warrant in under 4 hours alone my first time booking. I've run the place without any help, done everything just as well as any other officer.

Yet still, all they seem to see is my young age [19]. They look at me and treat me like more of a kid, than a fellow officer, and I've talked to the JA about it already. They worry about letting me work alone, even though I've taken charge and put inmates in their place more than one time. I'm a second degree blackbelt, and not a bad tazer shot either, and more alert than some of the other officers, yet still they watch my every move, and act as if I need things explained further to me than other people.

I realize I'm the "young rookie punk" of the group, but I've shown them I can handle the inmates. I have inmates twice my age going "Morning Sir" and following my orders with a "Yes sir" manner. While treating them respectfully all the while.

Will this persona of me being a kid eventually fade from their demeanor? Or is there something I should be doing, a way I should be acting that I just don't see yet? I understand the JA wanting me to prove myself, but hell, I need a chance TO show them me working, which is what they aren't giving me.

Originally posted by Rivalfire View Post
    Alright, I'm going on my fourth week now, and I've got a problem none of the other new employees seem to have, even though at least one is a completely lazy do nothing.

I'm...being babied by the other officers, and the boss. I've more than proved myself, I booked in an obnoxious drunk AND a guy with a warrant in under 4 hours alone my first time booking. I've run the place without any help, done everything just as well as any other officer.

Yet still, all they seem to see is my young age [19]. They look at me and treat me like more of a kid, than a fellow officer, and I've talked to the JA about it already. They worry about letting me work alone, even though I've taken charge and put inmates in their place more than one time. I'm a second degree blackbelt, and not a bad tazer shot either, and more alert than some of the other officers, yet still they watch my every move, and act as if I need things explained further to me than other people.

I realize I'm the "young rookie punk" of the group, but I've shown them I can handle the inmates. I have inmates twice my age going "Morning Sir" and following my orders with a "Yes sir" manner. While treating them respectfully all the while.

Will this persona of me being a kid eventually fade from their demeanor? Or is there something I should be doing, a way I should be acting that I just don't see yet? I understand the JA wanting me to prove myself, but hell, I need a chance TO show them me working, which is what they aren't giving me.
    Hi! First of all, to folks who are possibly old enough to be your father, (if you have folks that age working with you), you could seem like the son they never had,

I'm kidding with you a little, (although from what you have mentioned I am old enough to be your father), but you have not been there very long at all. First be thankful if they have taken you under their wing and are bringing you up in the way that you should go. This is not disrespectful of your abilities, but you are young, and don't have a lot of life experience. That is only gained by living. Secondly, depending on your probationary status and department or agency policy concerning new hires on probation, you can easily be fired, hence their perceived need to overshadow you. They may be sticking close in case of anything happening that they perceive may land you in hot water, taking the heat in your place if needed. If they're doing that for you, you must be doing a good job in their eyes, and they are trying to keep you.

Take care.
    Last edited by Hack; 05-15-2007, 09:49 PM.

Comment

While it sounds like you are ahead of the power curve at your department, being 19 is a big factor in how people see you. This is one of those jobs where age and life experience factor in how people look at you, a little. There was a guy in my Academy class who was 19 and had no life experience nor was he any good with people. In a perfect world he should be working somewhere else, but because we need people so bad they kept him. He only works positions that have no inmate contact other than minimum guys. Young cats like that give the rest of you a bad name.

The biggest thing though is to just go with the flow. You've only been working there for like 15 minutes, give it some time and keep setting the standard, and your superiors will change.

Comment

hnmm

Listen rok. Most of the guys you work with probably have more time in the john than you have on the job. Just the idea that after FOUR WEEKS you are concerned with them not trusting you says a lot. Divide how long you have been on the planet by four. That is probably how long its going to take before half of the people there start to respect you for your worth.
        And some people will never respect you. That is life. Its no big deal. God gave you two eyes and two ears but only one mouth. Look listen and learn the job. Be professional and keep to yourself. After a couple of years people will start to warm up to you. This is not TV. Things don't happen overnight.

Comment

Look I don't mean to rain on your parade but dayum you only have a month on the job. Shut up and learn what to do and how to handle people. And for goodness sakes listen to the guys/gals that have been there. i.e. cpl's, sgt's and the such. I have been in this game for almost 10 yrs now and I am still learning things.

Also I have trained several co's. Some have stayed and made good hands. others that stayed have crappy work ethics but show up and others have quit. S as far as your 4 weeks and thinking you have it down forget it. You may have learned a thing or two but the learning just keeps coming.
          It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Comment

After a month on the job here you would be barely be spoken to by the rest of us. We have such a high turn over that unless you make it a year you pretty much don't exist.

So don't take it personally that your fellow officers don't treat you the way you think you deserve.
            the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

the time you have under your belt the more respect you will get, but don't stop doing the good job that you are depite the fact you feel unapprieciated that will show others your not just a whining kid.

Comment

Everyone here is giving good advice. Keep your ears open, and learn from everyone. Take all you learn, and make your own style from it. If people don't like you or respect you, who gives a damn. You didn't take the job to make friends did you?

Comment

Rook, you have a whopping three weeks on. You should be babied because you are new and can not and should not be trusted to handle a high stress situation by yourself. I have noticed that younger boots tend to want to be left alone way earlier than they should. Those are the ones who end up doing too much or not enough during a situation. Relax, continue doing a good job until you are no-longer a probie. Everything will come in time.
                  Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5924 users online. 362 members and 5562 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X