300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you handle troublemakers?

Hi everyone. I've recently applied for a Detention Officer position with my Sheriffs Department, and I had a few questions I hope some of you wouldn't mind answering. Obviously, I'm expecting to deal with a lot of different inmates, some of which are going to be troublemakers. Have any DOs or COs here had to deal with a real nasty inmate that gave you a hard time consistently? If so, how did you deal with the situation?
    I'm sure if I get hired we'll learn all about it in the academy, but I'm so excited about the position that I just can't help but ask myself questions like this now! Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

Don't know about AZ..but up here in Caleeeefornia we have administrative segregation, disciplinary isolation and the dreaded "diet loaf".

Ad seg= 23 hours a day in your cell, no other inmate contact

DI= basically the same with no commissary, visits, tv

and yes the "diet loaf"= whatever the minimum jail standards says the caloric intake for a diet is, blended, formed into a loaf and served.

Just remember, the pen is mightier than the sword.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I'm new myself, I get a lot of flak for being 19 years old, so I have to be quick to issue punishment or else inmates think I'm not in charge.
      Generally I start by warning them "Turn it down or lose the tv all day", then issue an informal reprimand [taking the tv for example], next a formal reprimand which I'll take Canteen [Commissary], tv, rec time, visits, ect.

Comment

Do you want the old fashion method, (this lands people in hot water now), or the politically correct method?

I'll give you the professional method. Incident reports, give them the bare minimum per standards on property, food, and other items per policy within a SHU environment. If they get violent, use proper use of force procedures and use the camera to your advantage. Maintain professional image at all times, and be stone cold stoic. If they got anything coming in the way of punitive measures, make sure it's strictly by the book to keep yourselves out of trouble.

Comment

hh

"Nutra loaf" we called it back in state. I bought one home to my dogs once to see if they would eat it. They sniffed it once and walked away!

But in the softy land we can't give them that. One way I enjoy doling out my punishment here in laa laa land is by doing nothing to them. But I tear apart the cell of everybody they talk to. Pretty soon his friends dry up and even some of them might have a polite chat with him about his messing with da pooleece

Comment

nothing like food loaf, and stacked solitary time to get their heart right.

It may take a couple of repeated doses but they get it eventually.

You will learn the ways to deal with idiots, calling them a snitch while in the dayroom, chow hall, etc sometimes has the desired effect.
            Last edited by TX_CO; 05-16-2007, 09:08 AM.
            the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

If you are talking troublemaker, I talk to them in a gentle and kind manner. Then they assault me. Being a troublemaker they are prone to this. Then they are trounced, cuffed and dragged to the hole. Then of course, I notify my brothers in the hole that the offender is a troublemaker, and they also deal with him appropriatly. Its all in the paperwork baby!!!

Comment

lock down and loss of privledges!!!! take their visits and canteen usually straightens them out

Comment

I work in solitary/seg so I get to do all the good corrective "therapy" needed on said offender. After 15-30 days with us they generally aren't as ignorant as they arrived.
                  the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

If someone is acting like an ***, I like to take their I.D. from them. This is common practice when you're going to write a D.R. on them. I'll hold it for a couple hours, then take it back to them and have a little chat. Also fun to talk to them at their cell, and then when leaving in a loud voice say "Thanks for that info".

Comment

Originally posted by ksbrewer View Post
                      If someone is acting like an ***, I like to take their I.D. from them. Also fun to talk to them at their cell, and then when leaving in a loud voice say "Thanks for that info".
                      And, then the snitch bash begins!

Comment

Troublemakers?

Road Captain
                        Blue Knights TX XIX

Comment

Excellent post Blue Knights MC!!!! My thoughts precisely!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2687 users online. 140 members and 2547 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X