Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on firearm purchase, permit

Hello Ladies & Jents,

How difficult is it to purchase a handgun after completing the N.Y.S. CO Acadamy. Will i need to go thru the background investagation? and waiting period?
    My father is a licenced carrier and wants me to have one of his handguns. But i know i need a permit.
    Thanks for any info, Stay safe stay alive.

Put it on your badge.

You can fill out a C Form and submit it to the State Police...you can get the form at any facility. Then your gun would be on your badge.
    Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

Comment

Not to hijack, but to add to this. I have wondered how that applies to BOP other federal personnel who are not required to carry off duty in the more restrictive states like New York.

Comment

nyc

NYC is brutal about feds buying a gun. Out of the few shops that sell, only one I know of in the city will sell to any feds. A couple will out on the island though. NYS over all is not so bad. If you live in the city you have to go to HR and get something on bop letter head that says you are employed and that you can purchase and carry with your employment. Our HR lady is ok but with the mission critical crap they pulled a couple of yrs. back the HR staff went from 7 to one. And that one now does the work of 7. For MCC and MDC our HR is now located at both jails, mostly MDC but they had a program review a while back and demoted a couple HR officers back to senior officers just so they could cut HR back more. Of course they never filled the open HR slots. So all you have to do is locate one of the ever decreasing HR people and get them to type up a letter. Sounds easy but it is not. Then go out to Queens and buy yourself some protection.

Sad story about bop and nyc. A while back one of our officers got pulled over and ended up getting searched by the nypd. Well he had his personal 9mm on him and his fake looking bop id. The nypd wanted to see his shield that goes with the id. We don't get a shield says the officer but we can carry. Here is the number for my jail. Call them up and ask for the Lt, he says. Well they call and get the Lt on the phone and the nypd asks the Lt if the bop allows officers to carry off duty. The Lt says, no the bop does not allow him to carry. In the later grievance the Lt said the bop does not give the authority but congress does. Thats how she split the hairs. One of the union delegates went down to the precinct and explained the situation to the desk sarge and got the poor officers gun back. This crap has not only happened once here but two times both with different Lts. And they wonder why everybody quits.

Comment

Thank you for your response, You have been a great help. I will pursue this in the future. Stay safe & Stay Alive.

Comment

no Badge Sucks

No Offence to anyone, But unless my Dept. Permitted Off Duty Carry I would not carry especially in NYC. You are asking for a couple nights in jail. And that Sucks I feel for all the Agencies across the country who do not afford their officers off duty privilages. AND GOD Forbid you have to use your weapon and rely on some letters and numbers(HR218) to get you off the hook. And the Dept. won't have your back at all should you jam yourself up. Everyone who can carry on the badge should be greatfull.
            Last edited by carlgotti; 05-16-2007, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carlgotti View Post
              And that Sucks I feel for all the Agencies across the country who do not afford their officers off duty privilages. AND GOD Forbid you have to use your weapon and rely on some letters and numbers(HR218) to get you off the hook. And the Dept. won't have your back at all should you jam yourself up. Everyone who can carry on the badge should be greatfull.
              Carl, outside of the tri-state NY area, regular joe civilians can carry a concealed handgun. The permits for most of the states in the south and west take about a month to get. About 40 states also have reciprocity agreements- meaning that a civilians carry permit in florida is valid in about 40 other states-- same thing for a permit holder in Virginia or Texas..... In short, you don't have to be a government bureaucrat or LE in most of the 'free states' to own and carry a gun. CO's in most of the other states don't have to worry abou thte hassle of whether or not their dept allows them to carry on ID or a badge... It's less aggrivation for them just to go down to the county sherrif.. fill out a few forms... and wait 4-6 weeks for the permit.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                NYC is brutal about feds buying a gun. Out of the few shops that sell, only one I know of in the city will sell to any feds. A couple will out on the island though. NYS over all is not so bad. If you live in the city you have to go to HR and get something on bop letter head that says you are employed and that you can purchase and carry with your employment. Our HR lady is ok but with the mission critical crap they pulled a couple of yrs. back the HR staff went from 7 to one. And that one now does the work of 7. For MCC and MDC our HR is now located at both jails, mostly MDC but they had a program review a while back and demoted a couple HR officers back to senior officers just so they could cut HR back more. Of course they never filled the open HR slots. So all you have to do is locate one of the ever decreasing HR people and get them to type up a letter. Sounds easy but it is not. Then go out to Queens and buy yourself some protection.

Sad story about bop and nyc. A while back one of our officers got pulled over and ended up getting searched by the nypd. Well he had his personal 9mm on him and his fake looking bop id. The nypd wanted to see his shield that goes with the id. We don't get a shield says the officer but we can carry. Here is the number for my jail. Call them up and ask for the Lt, he says. Well they call and get the Lt on the phone and the nypd asks the Lt if the bop allows officers to carry off duty. The Lt says, no the bop does not allow him to carry. In the later grievance the Lt said the bop does not give the authority but congress does. Thats how she split the hairs. One of the union delegates went down to the precinct and explained the situation to the desk sarge and got the poor officers gun back. This crap has not only happened once here but two times both with different Lts. And they wonder why everybody quits.
                For incidents like you described, that is why I carry the memo from the BOP that states that we are allowed to carry off duty. Your union may want to go above that Lieutenants head to his/her supervisor, and show them the memorandum, and if that doesn't work, the person affected needs to sue in civil court, concerning that type of unauthorized practice, or go through binding arbitration. Although initially the law did allow us to, to a point, it also says that it has to be with department/agency blessing, so to speak. Unless the BOP backs us in authorization to carry we're hung out to dry, and use our own resources completely.

If you look in Sallyport for the memorandum from the Director BOP dated February 27, 2006 you can get copies of that and send it to all the NYPD precinct offices, or hand carry it to them, only I would suggest doing it with the union local's blessing. That way you don't put yourself out on a limb as an unauthorized representative of the BOP or some nonsense similar to that. This and keep a copy with you, (as well should your fellow staff members), at all times when carrying a concealed firearm.

If you would like to have a copy of mine, I can email a copy to you in PDF. That might help you out a bit.

Comment

thanks

Thxs Hack. I got that off sallyport back then. The cops here would laugh at me if I showed it though. We have a different warden now so I don't think the degenerate Lts would try it now. The guy does better by the officers more and more. Just the other day they put out where and what shift the Lts would be working next Q so we would know where not to bid. Solid move.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                    Thxs Hack. I got that off sallyport back then. The cops here would laugh at me if I showed it though. We have a different warden now so I don't think the degenerate Lts would try it now. The guy does better by the officers more and more. Just the other day they put out where and what shift the Lts would be working next Q so we would know where not to bid. Solid move.
                    That's good that you have a better warden. Maybe the Lieutenants need a little extra education. Just don't send them my way to get it. Kidding, who knows, maybe some of our old salts could straighten one or two out.

Here, our higher ups actually took pains to get the information from the Director to some of the local LE. That was a good thing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4647 users online. 284 members and 4363 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X