300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Eat the Food?

I'm currently watching Lock Up on MSNBC about Miami-Dade and a SGT was explaining that the food prepared in the facility by the inmates is "engineered" by a nutritionist and, technically, very nutritionally sound. Regardless of taste, that lead me to wonder, do officers and staff eat the food prepared in their facilities? Or, does staff "brown bag" it so they know what they're eating?
    "Hell is other people."
    - Jean-Paul Sartre

I eat several times a day so yes, I bring my own food, basically for convenience and because I know what's in it. On the other hand, I have been known to eat some of the hot links that are served for dinner for the inmates....that's about the only thing I can take and it is actually pretty good.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I eat the food. Only when I get it from the serving line. I have several times had someone say," Hey CO, I have this one made up for you." I tell them oh no.. ty, I will get my own. That is way to much . I have worked in resturants and have seen some REALLY bad things that civilians have done to the food. One son in law, pee'd in the soup. He was mad at his father in law. Sick ppl evreywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by 1426 View Post
        I eat the food. Only when I get it from the serving line. I have several times had someone say," Hey CO, I have this one made up for you." I tell them oh no.. ty, I will get my own. That is way to much . I have worked in resturants and have seen some REALLY bad things that civilians have done to the food. One son in law, pee'd in the soup. He was mad at his father in law. Sick ppl evreywhere!
        True that! I only grab thug chow when I have been mandatoried.

Comment

I work on the road not in the jail, but our county jail actually has really good food.

Comment

Nope, I occasionally did when I was in seg but now I would have to be pretty hard up to eat the food.

Our warden makes it a point to eat it at least once a week.
            "it's nothing a rooftop and an AK-47 couldn't cure"

Comment

Don't eat the food.
              "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

I am not picking on the author of this thread, but I looked on his profile and it states he is not Law Enforcement, he is in management. Why would you post on a forum that states it is specifically for Law Enforcement??? If these civilians wish to post questions or comments I hope (and wish) they would do so in the public forum areas. Just my two cents.
                Last edited by FLORIDACO1; 05-13-2007, 03:06 AM. Reason: did not finish

Comment

Depends who cooked it! 95% of the time I work I will eat what the other inmates are eating. It's not bad food, and for a cheap $1.25 I can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by FLORIDACO1 View Post
                    I am not picking on the author of this thread, but I looked on his profile and it states he is not Law Enforcement, he is in management. Why would you post on a forum that states it is specifically for Law Enforcement??? If these civilians wish to post questions or comments I hope (and wish) they would do so in the public forum areas. Just my two cents.

FloridaCO1,

My original post (The very first thread I started) was moved here by Tim Dees, the Admin of this site, himself. I cannot remember the subject, as that was some time ago, but it was placed on one of the public forums where there was no response. When placed here, it took off thanks to professionals like yourself who were willing to share their experiences and insight. For that, I am 110% thankful.

I post here with curiousities only b/c this is the ONLY board on the net where I can gather information about a profession I am currently in candidacy for with two agencies. Does candidacy mean a lot? Not really. Compared to yoursef and the other professionals on this board it isn't much. However, for myself and a few others who hang out here, it's all we've got.

You are correct, sir. I am not a sworn officer. I would not pretend to be otherwise. However, I have posted here several times along with other potential recruits and the site Admin has been generous in allowing us to do so in your (Sworn Officers) space. Perhaps, I have taken advantage of this generosity but am again 100% thankful for the opportunity.

That said, I apologize if the subject of this thread may seem trivial but I did start it with an express purpose. It was not created for cheap entertainment or an attempt to make light of your chosen professions and I hope it was not interpreted as such.

Respectfully,

Mike
                    Last edited by cirrus; 05-13-2007, 11:09 AM.
                    "Hell is other people."
                    - Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

We have our own dining area that employs a cook. Pretty good food at an even better price (free).
                      Last edited by PRIME EVIL; 05-13-2007, 12:26 PM. Reason: mistake
                      Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

I eat

I ussally will fix a sandwich and eat brefast...I just love it when I am serving the inmates and they say, "You would not eat that" I just kindly look at them and respond well I just did less than an hour ago and it was really good. The biggest promblem that I have is with CO not eating and then telling inmates that they would not eat the food or it was nasty etc... just agreeing with the inmates. Which makes for a bad day for all of the other CO. Just my two cents

Comment

I have never run into a problem eating jail food.
                          Sometimes the kitchen runs low on what was served to the inmates and they will fix us grilled cheese sandwiches. This is actually usually a good thing for us.
                          I dig grilled cheese.
                          Road Captain
                          Blue Knights TX XIX

Comment

So Gross

I used to eat from the chow hall at the first institution I worked at. Most of the the time the food in staff dining was cooked seperate from the inmate population. When Aramark took over the quality of food in staff dining rapidly declined.

Another great factor was that I had the ability to watch the inmates prepare my food. Most of the I had a chef salad for lunch, which was so very awesome. The kitchen at that facility was mediocre clean. The warden purchased pressure cleaners for each compound and there was an assigned work squad to clean the kitchen on night shift.

Still, there were times when I wouldnt dream of eating anything because of the 'special' sauce.

Now, I dunno if its that I have more time and expierence at another institution, or because of Aramark, but I DO NOT ever eat from the chow hall.
                            It is so freakin nasty. Literally! No where near clean and I have heard stories from inmates themselves of what goes on in the kitchen. Turns my stomach just thinking about it. And the smells.... ugh! You wont have to worry cause the smells alone will make you lose your appetite.

BLACH!

Comment

Heck no. Have you ever watched how it's made? Aramark is always cutting corners to save money. They will serve 3 day old food. The food looks like something my dog wouldn't eat. Unless it's an emergency, I'll pass.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5751 users online. 323 members and 5428 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X