300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO assaulted and inmates come to his aid

Not a CO but my fiance works at this jail, so I thought I would pass the story along.

Stay Safe!

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...241/index_html

Although inmates are capable of occasional acts of selflessness, they are also master manipulators.
    While I'm not suggesting that this is the case it certainly rings of the DOWNING THE DUCK story which is famous among most Correctional Officers.

Extra movies and food, I wonder how many C/O's will be saved by inmates next week.
    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

As I read that whole story, I can't help but to think that the whole thing was a con game. The "helpful" inmates muscled the other dude into attacking the CO then they can be there hero's and receive favor. That is crazy, I hope someone at that department has also thought about this and maybe is doing a little more investigating.

Comment

Very true! I appreciate all of your comments. Not really sure the "inside" story as my fiance hasn't told me much about what went on. The officer who was assaulted was on another shift.

Stay safe!

Comment

We almost had a $h!tbag take off one of our officer's heads with a metal tray during the morning feeding. This guy was a head case in a rage. He swung the 2x3 metal tray at his head, luckily another inmate 'bear hugged' the other inmate long enough for the officer to pull his can of hot sauce and give the j-cat a nice dose until the troops arrived to finish up.

Every once in a while you will come across inmates who are only in for DUIs, civil cases or traffic warrants. I normally try to 'work' those inmates for info just before they are released. You would be suprised how much they see and hear just keeping to themselves. Take the time to check their charges and release dates, it eventually pays off with some good info.

P.S. - I still don't trust any of them
          Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

I'm not saying compromise in a way that can lead to crime, compromising your position and what have you is good. That being said, I'll relate a past incident of my own. Several years ago I found that I was alcoholic in a rather dramatic way. I went down in a cell house, with no choice but to go down. One inmate saw me and recognised the signs of diabetic difficulty taking place and started calling for assistance for me to other staff. Another inmate went to get a gurney for me down at the main entrance to the cell house we were in, who had a death sentence detainer from Pennsylvania. Now I know, that if it were up to some other inmates, they probably would have given their right arm, just to have offed me at the time. Interesting enough, there were inmates who were checking in with other staff to see how I was doing, and when I was coming back. This was when we were a high/max facility. I guess it goes to show you, some inmates are just full of surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowles View Post
              Although inmates are capable of occasional acts of selflessness, they are also master manipulators.
              While I'm not suggesting that this is the case it certainly rings of the DOWNING THE DUCK story which is famous among most Correctional Officers.

Extra movies and food, I wonder how many C/O's will be saved by inmates next week.
              Thanks for sharing that, I will keep that in mind.

Comment

It's true. Although you may hear stories of Inmates that risk their lives, or step up, to help an officer out... it's very rare and I wouldn't count on it.

Not too long after I first got promoted I was assigned a dorm and an officer. The officer was an old geezer who just happened to have abt 26yrs in with the dept. It didnt take long until we were also assigned a female officer, new recruit, and very green.

I did my job 'training' her and tried to warn her of the con games only to have the vet officer shoot down everything I told her. He even went as far to tell her that if something went down the inmates would be there to protect her before any officer would be. He told her she could trust the inmates more than any of her supervisors. It really floored me. I could almost swear he was trying to get her killed. Luckily she had a tad bit common sense about her and came to me because "it just didn't sound right" to her.

If you don't remember anything else remember this --- It doesn't matter if you go out on your own two feet or on a stretcher, after every thing is said and done, they (the inmates) have to live there. It doesn't matter how nice you are to them, what you give them, or what favors you do for them... when the doo doo hits the fan all there is blue (them) and brown (us).

Be Safe

Comment

Originally posted by GMUSW13 View Post
                  Not a CO but my fiance works at this jail, so I thought I would pass the story along.

Stay Safe!

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...241/index_html
                  Hey GMUSW13 How have you been. Long time no hear.
                  "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

The possibility also exists in a jail/prison with a large amounts of gang activity that the attack was not sanctioned by gang leadership and violated the gang's rules and regulations on activities that result in a lock down thus affecting the rest of the tier.

The inmate attacking the officer could also have not been gang affiliated and thus once again violated the tier rules.

As such it was merely an attempt by the inmates to minimize the fall out from the attack.

It also could have been "downing the duck."

Comment

Well I will say this...I do treat them "firm but fair" and although I don't trust them I have seen them come to the aid of our Deputies at times. A Deputy (Bailiff) was attacked and stabbed in the face, forehead and outer eye with a sharpened toothbrush..he had just about gotten the Deputies weapon away from the holster when another inmate stepped in and grabbed the attacker just as the presiding judge was coming to help as well. Incident #2...while feeding a pod, the last inmate in line, who is in jail for three counts of agg robbery, evading on foot and in a vehicle, agg asslt with deadly weapon, had a 9 inch metal rod under his shirt. As the deputy turned and reached for a tray his hands began to come out from under the shirt (I watched the tape), as he squared his body the inmate went under the tray and brought the rod right up into the Deputy's throat and the fight was on....thank God the rod wasn't sharpened and an inmate, who we fought in booking and assaulted another Deputy that same day as he was high on alcohol and Z Bars, jumped on the attacking inmate to help the Deputy. Other inmates began trying to scream out of the slider for help....the pod is a medical pod. Case #3, in the full suicide prevention area, a psych inmate came out of his rubber room for a moment and then grabbed the Deputy by the throat, jammed him against the wall, and began to choke the life from him...the Deputy managed to call for help on the radio with his last breath and an inmate worker happened by and picked the inmate up into the air and slammed him down on the ground holding him there until other Deputies arrived.

My point is, if you treat them with even the smallest amount of respect...you don't have to bow down to them, but show them they are still 'men', that you will enforce the rules but treat them fairly, then karma can and will come back on you. An inmate will be an inmate...but some of them will surprise you when the chips are down...whether they do it selfishly or not, if they happen to save a brother officer's life, then so be it.
                      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Had a female officer being assaulted by a convict in a housing unit with no other staff around. Two other convicts pulled dude off, pretty much dusted his tail, and then as calm as could be went back to their cells and waited to be locked up. Everyone was talking about how great they were, how they stood up, etc.

Turns out, after a bit of investigation, that the only reason they jumped the dude was he owed them a fairly large gambling debt and was trying (by assaulting staff) to get set to the Restricted Unit so he would not get lumped up.

Comment

There is an inmate who has a release date of like 2050 on my housing unit. Supposedly he came to the aid of a female officer.
                          If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

Originally posted by Hack View Post
                            I'm not saying compromise in a way that can lead to crime, compromising your position and what have you is good. That being said, I'll relate a past incident of my own. Several years ago I found that I was "alcoholic" in a rather dramatic way. I went down in a cell house, with no choice but to go down. One inmate saw me and recognised the signs of diabetic difficulty taking place and started calling for assistance for me to other staff. Another inmate went to get a gurney for me down at the main entrance to the cell house we were in, who had a death sentence detainer from Pennsylvania. Now I know, that if it were up to some other inmates, they probably would have given their right arm, just to have offed me at the time. Interesting enough, there were inmates who were checking in with other staff to see how I was doing, and when I was coming back. This was when we were a high/max facility. I guess it goes to show you, some inmates are just full of surprises.

Slight mishap in wording on my part. I mentioned alcoholic whereas it should have been diabetic. I must have had someone else on my mind when I was writing this as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4364 users online. 231 members and 4133 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X