300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Cuffs and Cuff Keys for BOP

I was relieved by an officer the other day who was suppose to work compound, he gave me his "Issued" cuffs and asked me to return them back to control on my way out. Well, as I was walking across the compound "Among inmates" I was ratcheting the cuffs over and over "Just because I love to see the looks in there faces" when I came across a Lieutenant, this lieutenant said "Smart man, keep carrying them until you get into trouble, then stop....but you did not hear that from me". I explained to him that I did have my own personal cuffs but thought we was not allowed to carry them inside, he said that he carries two sets and that he would rather me carry my own set and be able to detain someone then rather me not be able to detain them and get hurt, and re-iterated that to keep carrying them until someone said something about it, and that I did not hear that from him.
    What gives? How many of you Fed guys carry your own? I know I did at the state, and noone said anything, actually the DW encouraged it. But the Feds I don't know.
    Discuss.
    "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight"

- General George Patton Jr

I find this EXTREMELY interesting...
    I work in a county facility and we are issued a set of cuffs and will get in trouble if we do not have them while on duty.
    To me, this is a HUGE safety issue, where if you don't have them you run a greater risk of being injured trying to keep the inmate restrained until someone with cuffs shows up.
    Stay safe!!

Comment

I carry my own cuff key, hidden for emergencies. Virtually every post in Leavenworth has cuffs issued as standard equipment. At El Reno it was totally different. Only a few posts had cuffs. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just the BOP.

I would be careful about everything I did during that first year of probation. You have no rights during that time and I can guarantee you that that lieutenant will not stick up for you and say that he encouraged you if it becomes an issue. It's The Bureau of Prisons Way.
      "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

We don't carry cuffs in NYS..sergeants do..
        If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

personal cuffs and cuffs keys for bop

Originally posted by RCJailer View Post
          I find this EXTREMELY interesting...
          I work in a county facility and we are issued a set of cuffs and will get in trouble if we do not have them while on duty.
          To me, this is a HUGE safety issue, where if you don't have them you run a greater risk of being injured trying to keep the inmate restrained until someone with cuffs shows up.
          Stay safe!!
          I have same situation as RCJailer,we are issued a set of cuffs,we carry handcuffs all the times in the unit.

Comment

I carry my own and my own cuff key normally. Not policy, but plenty of times I have been happy I had them. I just buy (for work) the same Peerless cuffs as issued. I get an unnamed buddy of mine in security to engrave my name!

Comment

When I came over from state I carried my own cuffs and key. Heck in there it was mandatory you carried your own key. I worked seg for almost three years and you might cuff and uncuff 50-60 inmates per shift. When I came to the BOP I asked about this and they looked at me like i was a fool Like Hank though I secretly carried a spare key in my duty belt for emergiencies

Comment

Cuff key, uh "not officially" my personal. Cuffs are issued equipment.

Comment

I agree with everyone here. I wouldn't work in a place where I didn't have the ability to handcuff someone. If you get into a scrap, the inmate will not hold there hands behind there back until someone comes with cuffs. This is not a come and go place like a nursing home or a hotel.

Comment

i thought i had it bad... we can use our own sets of restraints... i carry 2 seats of hinged and an idoc issued restraints in my bag.

Comment

We are all issued a set of cuffs, required to have them with us any time we're on duty. Personal cuff keys are a BIG no-no.....
                      1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

Every officer here is issued a set of Peerless cuffs and a key. Most of us buy the oversized keys just for the convenience of them. Both are part of our duty gear and we must have them at any time.

So if I understand this
                        - some are issued both cuffs and keys
                        - some are not issued cuffs or keys
                        - some are issued cuffs only and only certain individuals have the key
                        - some hide a key on their person
                        - some have to buy their own equipment

What about those hidden "keeper keys".
                        Anybody see any real use for something like that ???

Comment

Originally posted by Rottie299 View Post
                          Every officer here is issued a set of Peerless cuffs and a key. Most of us buy the oversized keys just for the convenience of them. Both are part of our duty gear and we must have them at any time.

So if I understand this
                          - some are issued both cuffs and keys
                          - some are not issued cuffs or keys
                          - some are issued cuffs only and only certain individuals have the key
                          - some hide a key on their person
                          - some have to buy their own equipment

What about those hidden "keeper keys".
                          Anybody see any real use for something like that ???
                          That's pretty much the situation.

If I carried a "keeper key" for emergencies I would never admit it.
                          "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

here

Here if we had our own cuffs or keys we would be on the street for a couple of days. The only people here with cuffs and keys are Lts, special housing, R&D and internal security aka: elevator operators. If you are still in your first year and you get jammed up, they will cut you loose. Here they kept a guy till his last day of probation and called him down to the wardens office at the end of his tour and canned him. They decided to do it earlier, months earlier, but we are so short they kept him on till the last day.
                            And they wonder why morale is so horrible? We had a guy who was rookie of the year a while back quit to become a sanittation worker for the city.
                            aka garbage man. I asked him why are you doing it. He said,"bro, its a better job". And that my friends says a lot...

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                              We had a guy who was rookie of the year a while back quit to become a sanittation worker for the city.
                              aka garbage man. I asked him why are you doing it. He said,"bro, its a better job". And that my friends says a lot...
                              Isn't the job descripiton about the same though?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6810 users online. 352 members and 6458 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X