300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Doc

Ive been with the florida doc for a short time now.I have recently made sergeant and have seen alot of good officers come and go due to money issues.We only get about 32k and we at my location are an CM "CLOSE MANAGEMENT CAMP"these are the worst of the worst florida has to offer.But still our legislature will not give us a raise.We have captains leaving and going county as entry level officers and making 20k more.Due to the current chain of events due to new micro managing we have suffered many assults on staff.I personally was stabbed about 5 weeks ago by an inmate who refused to lock down.We had a sergeant who was held hostage by knifepoint,another sergeant who was assaulted with feces and urine then the inmate tried to stab him,another sergeant who was getting an inmate ready to EOS and the inmate punched him ounce he realised he MIGHT have a detainer "which he did not".and many other assaults.So what does the legislature do they said were not getting a raise just a one time 1k dollar bonus.The officers we have are all new with very little experience and it is getting really bad due to lack of experience.When the county will pay alot more what is the benefit for officers to stay.I stay because i dont want to turn my back on my fellow officers.Do any of you have simular problems. "i needed to vent"
    IM A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER NOT A #$%^&* PRISON GUARD.

Yeah, I think it's in vogue about everywhere to starve prisons right now. If they don't wake up the federal courts may wake them up with new litigation that will make prison systems even more expensive than they are now.
    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

I've been with the same agency as you for a little more than a minute, working in the same kind of housing units as you. So I definately know that we are under paid. I'm just making 38K and it ain't enough. But the grass isn't always greener on the other side(employment with the county). The insurance is outrageous. From what I read on the press clips, the bonus was not for us, but regular state employees. Last I heard we are getting the 5%. If you still need to vent, pm me.

Comment

You can't fault a fellow officer for trying to make more money for his family. Here in Kansas we start at just under 26k. We're underpaid, and often understaffed. Our legislature is doing something similar with a one time bonus.

Comment

No faulting at all. You have to look out for your family. Gotta make that bread. It wasn't that bad when we had paid overtime. All that stopped in 2003 or 2004. I wish PAID overtime would come back. Now, you don't get paid, but you do get mandatoried when you don't want it.

Comment

Thanks for the input.I never in a million years thought i would be living the life i now live and no matter what i could never do anything else.Being a correctional officer is very demanding and thankless,but we who risk our lives everyday living with these animals it really takes a special person.Thank all of you for what you do.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from...and believe me I'd love to have a raise too but...

I remember a few years back when we didn't get a dime. No raise, no bonus, no nothing, for three long years.

Have you ever gone to Tallahassee? To the rally? They didn't have one this year did they? I think the last couple of years got the proverbial hog too fat and lazy. People start 'expecting' the raise. The last couple of years corrections got more money than FHP. At least our bad guys are in state blues & bobo's.

My better half has 14yrs with the state. When they first started bring home pay was a lil less than $500 every 2 weeks. Now it's a lil more than $1000 bi-weekly. You may not want to admit it but we have come a long way.

$1K bonus is better than nothing at all.

Here's the recent press release from PBA dated 5/7/07 concerning the bonus (and lack of a raise).

Important Legislative News......
              By President Jim Baiardi
              05/07/07

Comment

we're gonna end up getting nothing at all. Everyone here is, or already has, applied to county. 28 people have dropped pba. If everyone leaves, I get paid overtime. That can be a nice raise in itself. GO county, take our staff

Comment

NYSCOPBA is due to negoaite a new contract for COs soon. I wish you florida guys luck. Were gonna need it too.
                  If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

LEO-BRAT your right the doc has come along way.I love my job but it is getting very hard to do.New staff thats 300lbs and lazy and complain all the time,all the experience is leaving.I myself only have 2.5 years in and already made sergeant ill take it but 2.5 years and im allready senior running dorms.They just dont have anyone else who wants it.I think the doc needs to give more to get more.

Comment

Originally posted by ROK View Post
                      LEO-BRAT your right the doc has come along way.I love my job but it is getting very hard to do.New staff thats 300lbs and lazy and complain all the time,all the experience is leaving.I myself only have 2.5 years in and already made sergeant ill take it but 2.5 years and im allready senior running dorms.They just dont have anyone else who wants it.I think the doc needs to give more to get more.
                      It is just another phase DC is going through. The flucuation of staff comes in waves. When I first started people were getting promoted with 18 months - 3yrs. When I felt ready to promote I had about 5 yrs in. By then every CO who had 12yrs or more was going up for promotion. There is no way I could have ever made it against them. I just waited for my wave to come in.

The difference is as you noted though. All of the expierenced people are haulin tail. All these changes are harder for them than any one else. If you can imagine 20+ years in your career, you can retire but you wanna pull the full 30. Then everything is turned upside down. You are told that they way you have been running things for the past 2 decades is all wrong. Told that the shape of your body, which is a result of being "DC raised", is not up to standards. Why should they stay around and risk getting fired and losing their retirement, or even face jail time, for the actions of those under their supervision.

What I find hard, being somewhere between the old timers and the newer super co's, is the lack of knowledge and training the newer officers have and their ability to swiftly move into "sweet" posts, and promotions. I guess that goes back to supply and demand. I hope you know how fortunate you are to have your rank so early. Supervising convicts is the easy part, supervising your co-workers is a whole nother ball of yarn.

I'm not bashin FL DC. I'm just seeing it through their eyes. The key for us to survive, is to be flexible, trainable, vigilant, patient, and understanding (with the administration/the man) at the same time remain Firm and Fair with the ever pulsating inmate population.

~never let them see you sweat~

Comment

Understood,thank you.Obviously you have been arount a while.I allways show respect to senior officers and allways listen to them,i understand i have a lot to learn.

Comment

Former DOC

I was former DOC. Last a whole 15 minutes. Started at $27.5K and ended once certified $29.5K. Left to county, insurance and benefits were better and now 5 years later I went from $29.5K to $48.3 and that does not include overtime. $$ not flex out. I am now also cross certified, and sworn in and both corrections and law enforcement. When I left the state we were just allowed to have our own weapon in the car but no extra magazines. I wear my duty weapon on my belt as well and carry a backup when necessary. The best thing that I did was leaving the state for county. I made more my first year at the county then the Captain at the facility.

When it comes to turning your back. You have to think about your health, future and not theirs. You are just bettering yourself.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3171 users online. 152 members and 3019 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X