300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start in a week and a half

I start with the Kansas department of corrections in a week and a half!

I am really looking forward to it, and it looks like I will learn a whole lot at the corrections officer academy!
    There are 2 kinds of Sheepdogs.
    Those that keep the wolves away from the herd- Police Officers

And those that keep the wolves on the other side of the fence-
    Corrections Officers.

best of luck to you......

Comment

First Day

My first day was really great. The first part was about pay and benefits, and the second part almost seemed like a welcome. I just hope that the academy prepares me as best as is possible for working on the inside.

The next two days will be firearms training, which looks like it will be very fun.

Corrections Officers.

Comment

Just remember when an inmate talks,he is lying.They are not your friends no matter how much info they give you,dont pass things for them,be yourself and be consistent,no means no and stick to it.
        IM A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER NOT A #$%^&* PRISON GUARD.

Comment

Pay attention and try to get as much as you can out of the training. It's only 5 weeks, and really doesn't cover nearly enough. You'll learn on shift. Good luck and stay safe. I'm at LCF as well. Just passed 1 year a couple weeks ago.

Comment

I know that 1 hour OTJ is worth more then a library of books, but what is the book that everyone seems to recomend to all of us new fellas?

Corrections Officers.

Comment

5 weeks,thats it my academy was 560 hours and 6 months of T.E.A status.
              IM A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER NOT A #$%^&* PRISON GUARD.

Comment

"Games Criminals Play and how you can profit by knowing them".
                By Bud Allen/Diana Bosta.

It contains the story "Downing the Duck" which is referenced frequently on the forums.

It's good reading.

Be safe.

Comment

There used to be a book on reading body language. I don't remember the title. If you find something on the subject, especially written by law enforcement, it would be worth your time to study it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart63148 View Post
                    I know that 1 hour OTJ is worth more then a library of books, but what is the book that everyone seems to recomend to all of us new fellas?

Good books.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48713
                    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Hart,

Congrats on the job. Best advice I can give you is be honest and up front with everyone. By all means stand your ground too. It was said before and I'll say it again ... INMATES ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

The academy is just a starting point. You will learn volumes more on OJT than you could ever study in books. Also learn from the other CO's that you work with. They have time and experience on their side so listen to them.
                      It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Comment

I think that the most important thing for a boot to remember is keep your mouth shut and your ears and eyes open. Do what your training officer tells you, take notes if you need to. I have trained several boots that immediately after I show them something and ask them to do it I find that they were not paying attention and need to be shown again. Be pro-active and volunteer to conduct as many duties as you can. This will impress the veterans, something that will pay-off 20 fold in the future! Good luck.
                        Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5029 users online. 262 members and 4767 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X