• Attention BOP

From the Council of Prison Locals:

http://www.cpl33.info/id17.html

Bryan Lowry
    President
    Voice/Fax: 870-734-3690
    Cell Phone: 870-734-7137
    Email: [email protected]

I would like to take this opportunity to wish each of you a Happy New Year! We have many challenges faces us this year. It's going to take a strong effort and open communication on all of our behalf's in order to accomplish our goals of ensuring a safe and secure work environment. I am asking for your commitment to communicate in order to track and maintain accurate records of incidents of assaults on staff occurring in an institution somewhere everyday, and somedays in multiple locations. Alot of these instances occur or are caused by mission critical staffing, and/or the erosion of our workplaces as a direct result of shared services which is better known as complex consolidations. I am pledging that this Council will not sit idle on these issues, and is working on a stategic plan to expose what the lack of proper funding has done to deteriorate the integrity of our mission. Again, I call on you to communicate, cooperate, and participate in all requested information we will be tracking in order to show true and accurate facts and figures we will use in lobbying Congress, and relaying to the public.

Complex Consolidations

Some of you are facing position consolidations where the Agency has identified you as a so-called Complex Facility. This newly created methodology by the Agency is creating an unsafe environment for staff and inmate alike. In a work environment such as ours which already has a maximized amount of inherent hazards, you cannot rob peter to pay paul without suffering horrendous consequences. With the increases we've seen in the past year regarding assaults on staff, disturbance increases, and number of shots fired to contain life threatening situations it only leads you to wonder how much worse our situation is going to deteriorate before someone in a position of power puts a halt on the gross negligence that is occurring due to the lack of funding we are receiving.

How much is a life worth? To you spouse, to your children, to your parents, and to your good friends it is priceless. We are true Patriots, who day end and day out are proud to serve the public in keeping the nations sentenced felons incarcerated. We are charged with maintaining a safe and secure environment. This task has gotten harder to accomplish because of the staffing level reductions we've all faced. Mission Critical is a farce. It is not working!!! Continued cuts to staffing levels will catch up sooner than later.

Institutions located in a Complex situation trying to share staff positions amongst the institutions is not a sound correctional practice. There should never be any consideration on behalf of Management to share security between institutions. Institutions are their own entity, with their own perimeter fence that should be staffed based on the numbers and security level of inmates housed at that facility. Sharing staff between the entities is a flawed philosophy. You are either properly staffed or you are not. I am going to call it like it is. WE ARE NOT STAFFED IN A SAFE MANNER!!!
    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Hank I agree with what you're relating. I hope that we as staff members can team together well enough to watch each other's back as well as possible during these challenging times.

Comment

everytime I watch a documentray on BOP. it seems that all security employees are dressed like civilians... whats the reasoning.. whats BOP s Use of force policy?

Comment

We wear bus driver uniforms and our use of force policy is to run, screaming in terror, at the first sign of trouble.
        "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

hmmmm

You may think he is joking, but he is not.

Comment

you guys be safe out there man...
            If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

The Bureau wants us to be feminized. It's The Bureau Way. It's more entertaining for the thugs that way.

Comment

Originally posted by hankrearden2000 View Post
                We wear bus driver uniforms and our use of force policy is to run, screaming in terror, at the first sign of trouble.
                Then there are those of us who like to just sell tickets to the show, (inmate on inmate, of course). Easy, I'm joking.

It's kind of odd, but our higher ups like us to wear uniforms that are not intimidating to inmates. Personally I think we ought to wear battle dress uniforms, carry a side handle baton or ASP, peppermace, and a TASER. Of course, that won't ever happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hack View Post
                  Then there are those of us who like to just sell tickets to the show, (inmate on inmate, of course). Easy, I'm joking.

It's kind of odd, but our higher ups like us to wear uniforms that are not intimidating to inmates. Personally I think we ought to wear battle dress uniforms, carry a side handle baton or ASP, peppermace, and a TASER. Of course, that won't ever happen.
                  Amen to that. My favorite is the first time I had to subdue a shank wielding inmate with my keys. Thank God it was a big set of Folger Adams with 10 keys on the ring!!!!!

Comment

You know when i came over to the BOP I expected a mor eproffesional and stern prison. LOLOLOLOLOL, boy was i worng. In my state prison when we walked down the tier inmates parted like red sea. They knew better, in the BOP you suppose to say "excuse me sir" BULL$hit Not from this man. When I worked the dorms I butted heads with LT's but the unit managers loved me for running a tight ship. Lts said "Im getting to many complaints from inmated about you" he!! in my old prison that was your way to a promotion

Comment

Originally posted by USPKY View Post
                      You know when i came over to the BOP I expected a mor eproffesional and stern prison. LOLOLOLOLOL, boy was i worng. In my state prison when we walked down the tier inmates parted like red sea. They knew better, in the BOP you suppose to say "excuse me sir" BULL$hit Not from this man. When I worked the dorms I butted heads with LT's but the unit managers loved me for running a tight ship. Lts said "Im getting to many complaints from inmated about you" he!! in my old prison that was your way to a promotion
                      When I worked for the State of Missouri some years ago, (about 11), I started having to be kindler gentler there as well. Hated it. When I first started with BOP at LVN I was told at Glynco by an instructor who had previously worked at LVN, forget most things you learned here after graduation. Meaning we were still allowed to kick tale. I consider that bodyslamming done correctly can be an art form, (of course, now I would have to have a very good reason to do it).

Comment

j

Man it is good to know their are some people out there as ****ed off as I am about the hug a thug mentality that is enforced throughout the BOP. It is truly the only thing I have seen vigorously enforced. A lot of the officers I work with started off in the bop and they have less difficulty dealing with the mentality. They don't know any better. Some of them buy it hook line and sinker. Those who do, often promote. But you can always tell when a officer use to work state or county. Today I relieved a new guy that came from a large city system that dealt with I/Ms the right way. I talked with the guy a good twenty minutes about the difficulties he is having with the **** poor way the joint is run. I know exactly what he is going through because I went through the same thing not to long ago. I hoped I helped out the guy but I know the look of disgust on his face and I probably didn't do to much good. But when I started I had a guy who use to work state do the same for me and although it didn't help much to know that I was now in a horrible situation, it was comforting to know that some one understood that this is not the proper way to deal with I/Ms. Its good to be here with you all and thank you for your help and understanding. I appreciate it.

Comment

I was considering BOP at one time, but after talking to some current employees and reading things like this I would rather stay with the State and be able to make I/Ms mind or else.
                          the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

BOP pay and benefits are one of the best. That's really all that I can say positive about it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5024 users online. 332 members and 4692 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X