300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young CO's

Just a quick question, how do you guys view CO's who are within 18-22 years old? Do a lot of them eventually get used to everything you guys go through or do they tend to fall out? It's getting to be the time where I decide what I do with my life (LE ) and I've considered corrections after college.

While I'm here, anyone here work for the Ohio DRC? How is it?

Younger guys are counted upon to be more movitated than older staff. I hate to see when younger officers get lazy. I fully recommend corrections as a career, go for it!
    Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

Originally posted by PRIME EVIL View Post
      Younger guys are counted upon to be more movitated than older staff. I hate to see when younger officers get lazy. I fully recommend corrections as a career, go for it!
      Yep. I'm 18 and a correctional officer. When you start you have to work hard and earn a solid reputation, this includes making mature decisions.

I have had officers pull me aside and tell me how good of a job I'm doing. I have from the start given 100% and will continue to do so.

It takes a VERY mature person of that age range to do this job, and its very rare to find that. I would not personally want to work in a jail where you are placed in potetionally life threatening situations with a typical 18 to 22 year old!

You will get a lot of mouth from the inmates over how young you are and this makes them try and manipulate you and defy you all the more. Its hard for a 40 some year old man to respect and take orders from an 18yo. A lot of inmates have kids older then you. Just stay firm, and remember you are the boss, stand your ground.

I have been tested in more ways then I could ever list here. I have even been approached by Inmates asking ME to bring in contraband for them. (which was immediately passed on to my supervisors). I was never so offended in my life, but I'm willing to bet because they see how I'm younger and they thought I would be easier to munipulate. WRONG!

A question I get a lot from inmates is "How old are you CO you look like 20?" My response is just "Old enough to work here." Regardless of my age I am in an authority position and they need to respect that.

95% of 18YOs have no business working in corrections due to their maturity level, I have been around LE my entire life so I walked in those doors knowing a little bit of what I was getting myself into and mentally perpared myself for it.

Whichever path you decide good luck.

Comment

I started when I was twenty. Yeah, I took alot of baby jokes, But you roll with the punches. I like it. Been here five years and I am a Sergeant. At 25, I'm looked up to by people older than me. You get out of Corrections what you put in it.

Comment

Wow guys thanks a lot! All three of you offered some very encouraging posts! Not to brag or anything (I don't have much to brag about ), but yes, I would consider myself very mature compared to other people in my age group and you're proof that someone my age can make it in this career. Its great to hear you guys generally have a lot of support from other staff also. Thanks again guys!
          Last edited by arbys512; 04-30-2007, 11:36 PM. Reason: Didn't see you post there Lincoln...just had to add you into my thanks

Comment

I've been working for the state DOC for going on a year now started when I was 18. I was the butt of all the jokes for a while. Now I have proven myself as a mature and competent CO the older CO's give me respect and know I got their back if anything happens.

Comment

It is all about who you are. Most young recruits have no idea what responsibility is. As a CO you will have tons of it. Carry yourself well. You should be fine.
              "Hostages will not be recognized as a means or method of escape from this institution."

Comment

I became a CO at 30...I could never have handled it at 20...too quick tempered, too inexperienced in life and unprepared to deal with the huge stressors that being a CO brings.

IMO, it's hard to take young recruits seriously. How am I supposed to respect a guy when this is his first real job? When he is barely old enough to drink?

What kind of life experience can a 20 yo bring to the job that I am supposed to respect.

Anyway, my advice is to wait...join the military, go to school, work the door at a bar, do construction....just build yourself as a person for a few years then be a CO if that's what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by effinggoof View Post
                  I became a CO at 30...I could never have handled it at 20...too quick tempered, too inexperienced in life and unprepared to deal with the huge stressors that being a CO brings.

IMO, it's hard to take young recruits seriously. How am I supposed to respect a guy when this is his first real job? When he is barely old enough to drink?

What kind of life experience can a 20 yo bring to the job that I am supposed to respect.

Anyway, my advice is to wait...join the military, go to school, work the door at a bar, do construction....just build yourself as a person for a few years then be a CO if that's what you want.
                  I agree. I started when I was 26 and I am almost 30 now. Some people are mature enough to take on a job like corrections and be successful right away, but for most of us, if you have not had many job experiences you are in for a suprise. Corrections requires a lot of communication, quick thinking, paper work, and most of all street smarts. These guys (inmates) will throw all kinds of tricks at you and the more life experience you have the better off you will be to talk to these guys and level with them.

I know I would not have been ready when I was younger. At times I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing, but I know now that I am smarter and able to handle things in a more mature manner. If you are mentally ready and ready to jump into Corrections at a young age then by all means jump right in there! The quicker you start the quicker you can retire Just be sure you are ready and when you do start your career make sure you make smart decisions. Best of luck!

Comment

I personally can't stand C/O's in the 18-22 age bracket. Most are too young to know anything about the world, but are convinced they know it all. The rest are scared to death to do their jobs and make it hard on the rest of us.

Oh, did I mention that I was 21 when I started?
                    I guess if I grew out of it, so will most of them.
                    Road Captain
                    Blue Knights TX XIX

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyReb View Post
                      Yep. I'm 18 and a correctional officer. When you start you have to work hard and earn a solid reputation, this includes making mature decisions.

I have had officers pull me aside and tell me how good of a job I'm doing. I have from the start given 100% and will continue to do so.

It takes a VERY mature person of that age range to do this job, and its very rare to find that. I would not personally want to work in a jail where you are placed in potetionally life threatening situations with a typical 18 to 22 year old!

You will get a lot of mouth from the inmates over how young you are and this makes them try and manipulate you and defy you all the more. Its hard for a 40 some year old man to respect and take orders from an 18yo. A lot of inmates have kids older then you. Just stay firm, and remember you are the boss, stand your ground.

I have been tested in more ways then I could ever list here. I have even been approached by Inmates asking ME to bring in contraband for them. (which was immediately passed on to my supervisors). I was never so offended in my life, but I'm willing to bet because they see how I'm younger and they thought I would be easier to munipulate. WRONG!

A question I get a lot from inmates is "How old are you CO you look like 20?" My response is just "Old enough to work here." Regardless of my age I am in an authority position and they need to respect that.

95% of 18YOs have no business working in corrections due to their maturity level, I have been around LE my entire life so I walked in those doors knowing a little bit of what I was getting myself into and mentally perpared myself for it.

Whichever path you decide good luck.

Very well said Johnny, sounds like your doing a great job!!!

Comment

Wow I got even more posts than I thought I would get. Thanks for all of your input guys! You all offered an interesting persepective on this! Excuse me now I've got a lot to think about...

Comment

I'm 22 and was 21 when i started. Yeah you get alot of baby jokes, but thats part of the game. I work for the Ohio DRC and its a great department.
                          "Losers give excuses...Winners make it happen"
                          1/*

Comment

I started with NYS DOCS when I was 25. I'm about to turn 27. IMO the new guys coming out of the academy are smug. Especially the younger ones. alot of them think they know everything about everything. Now this isn't every OJT you encounter but alot of them. I had an OJT basically sit on his *** all night long. But I've also had OJTs help me recover contraband as well. I dunno I don't wanna judge. But I want to know I can rely on these guys if i'm getting my *** kicked.
                            If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

unfortunately here in idaho some of the younger C/o recruits have no street smarts.
                              (if you have lived in idaho all your life then U have indeed been sheltered)
                              I have seen some great officers that are under 21, especially female officers.
                              they take no crap from the offenders.
                              I had 2 advantages growing up in the Ghetto of chula vista california.
                              i was street smart at a young age and i could spot a liar 2 miles away using their body language and eye contact against them.
                              I was truly trained by the best con . he happened to be my best friends dad.
                              he tought me what to look for and all the angles of prison life. so when I came to work for IDOC 2 years ago i could see right thru these offenders.
                              one stern warning he gave me that i use everyday
                              " never trust the really nice offenders" they have no reason to be nice to you !!
                              also. if you are asked a question and it takes you more then 1 second to decide if it a yes or no, then it is a NO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6145 users online. 341 members and 5804 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X