X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spit masks or spit hoods ??

Spit masks or spit hoods ??
    Today, 07:49 PM

Greetings everyone! I don't post very much or even lurk on here much anymore. I'm looking for suggestions and resources for ***/hoods.

In the past I worked Correction s in a county jail for many years. SRT Team, FTO, etc. Our jail policy was quite liberal and generous with permissions for placing spit hoods during any type of uncooperative or combative inmate. From fresh arrestees in intake booking to any housing unit dorms to restraint chair to Seg. Of course everything was safely and clearly documented as needed.

I now work part-time as a hospital Security Officer. Our governing authority has now taken away and forbidden all forms spit masks/hoods for fear of patient safety, aspiration, asphyxiation, etc.

Now in just 3 years, I have been spat in the face twice. Both times were by patients in our mental health unit during placement into a restraint chair.

Any suggestions for reputable equipment and a procedure policy to show to higher.

Thanks in advance.

It’s the Hospital Admin who make policy, not you. They
    have a legitimate concern regarding patient safety. You’re placing yourself in the line of fire. Seems you need to adjust your technique. Twice in three years is nothing.

Your Dept Head is the person who needs to bring it up, not you. If they don’t, then that’s your answer.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Flattop View Post
      Spit masks or spit hoods ??
      Today, 07:49 PM

Greetings everyone! I don't post very much or even lurk on here much anymore. I'm looking for suggestions and resources for ***/hoods.

In the past I worked Correction s in a county jail for many years. SRT Team, FTO, etc. Our jail policy was quite liberal and generous with permissions for placing spit hoods during any type of uncooperative or combative inmate. From fresh arrestees in intake booking to any housing unit dorms to restraint chair to Seg. Of course everything was safely and clearly documented as needed.

I now work part-time as a hospital Security Officer. Our governing authority has now taken away and forbidden all forms spit masks/hoods for fear of patient safety, aspiration, asphyxiation, etc.

Now in just 3 years, I have been spat in the face twice. Both times were by patients in our mental health unit during placement into a restraint chair.

Any suggestions for reputable equipment and a procedure policy to show to higher.

Thanks in advance.
      If you want to get the point across to management, every officer who is spat upon should file a worker's comp first report of injury, reporting bodily fluid exposure and then seek medical treatment commensurate to the exposure. You will also be requirted to fill out an injury prevention report which will ask how this injury could have been prevented. Each time you should list that the use of a spit mask would have been of great assistance.

Management will no doubt balk and insist you are not injured. Point out that no immediate injury may be apparent, but the exposure may manifest itself later down the line causing an an illness, injury or disease and you need to document it now to protect your interests. Your state may have a law that requires persons who assault others with bodily fluids to give a blood sample to determine if they carry any infection or disease. If your state has such a law, demand that their blood be drawn and tested for your protection.

If necessary, get your union involved. Remember, if injured, you are now a patient as well and have as many rights if not more than the person who injured you.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Spit hoods are in use in thousands of Correctional Facilitates nationwide ..................they are tried and true.

Whoever is making this policy is an idiot.

I personally woudn't work for an entity that refused me safety equipment the way your's does .

YES I have quit jobs that I thought was unsafe.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12064 users online. 457 members and 11607 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X