300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survelliance Officer ?

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but I figured it was the closest forum and that someone might have some info. In my department I sometimes see employment listings with probations for Survelliance Officer(hope I spelled that right). Down here in GA I know they have something to do with probations and prior inmates, but other than that I know nothing else. Does have anymore info on this positon, actual work performed, is it a good position etc. Any input would be helpful

In this county they make random home visits to monitor compliance with the conditions of probation, but are usually contract workers (the local probation office contracts this work), the requirements here are a 4 yr degree, some experience in either LE, Probation, Corrections, or related field.

They are an extra set of eyes on special case loads (sex offender, drug offenders) that free up the Probation Officers to do other work.

They have no police authority (arrest powers, firearms, etc), as the probationer signs an agreement to allow them access to their homes, etc as part of the probation order.
    They just report non-compliance to the Probation department and sometimes testify in court.
    the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

I think North Carolina has these positions also. If I remember correctly they do have some law enforcement powers in North Carolina though. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!
      New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest inmates in the country!

Comment

I also heard down here they have some sort of arrest power and are issued firearms, but I have yet to find someone who actually has worked as one or knows how it is, at least now I have a little more understanding of what it consist of.

Comment

We do have them here in NC. Here is their position description follows:

Description of Work

THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN *****MACON COUNTY ********.
          THIS POSITION PARTNERS WITH A PROBATION/PAROLE INTENSIVE CASE
          OFFICER IN THE SUPERVISION AND SURVEILLANCE OF HIGH RISK FELON AND
          MISDEMEANOR OFFENDERS PLACED UNDER COMMUNITY INTENSIVE SUPERVISION IN
          LIEU OF INCARCERATION. PREPARES INVESTIGATIVE AND OTHER REPORTS FOR,
          & TESTIFIES IN COURT AND BEFORE PAROLE COMMISSION. SUPERVISES ABSCONDER
          CASELOAD OF PROBATIONERS/PAROLEES. REQUIRES IN-HOME VISITS, DRUG
          SCREENING, EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATIONS, CRIMINAL RECORD CHECKS, TRANSPORT-
          ING OFFENDERS, CRISIS INTERVENTION, ARREST, SEARCH AND SEIZURES.
          REQUIRES EMPLOYEE TO WORK A 2ND SHIFT ASSIGNMENT WHICH INCLUDES 1-10PM,
          2-11PM, 3-12 MIDNIGHT DURING EACH 28 DAY PERIOD. MAY BE REQUIRED TO
          WORK 1ST SHIFT PERIODICALLY. REQUIRED TO SERVE ON THE ELECTRONIC HOUSE
          ARREST TEAM, WHICH INCLUDES ON-CALL STATUS AND RESPOND TO ELECTRONIC
          HOUSE ARREST VIOLATIONS, AND QUALIFY WITH DIVISION ISSUED FIREARM.
          **EMPLOYEE MAY RESIDE WITHIN THIRTY (30) MILES OF THE COUNTY TO WHICH
          ASSIGNED.**APPLICATIONS MUST BE ON N.C. APPLICATION FORM PD-107 AND
          FAXED TO 828/251-6449 TO CONTACT PERSON DURING THE POSTING
          PERIOD AND NO LATER THAN 5:00 PM ON THE POSTED CLOSING DATE.***

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY, BOTH ORALLY AND IN WRITING AND MAINTAIN A
          PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS, CO-WORKERS,
          AND OTHER AGENCY PERSONNEL, OFFENDERS, AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC;
          ORGANIZATIONAL ABILITY IN RECORD KEEPING, WRITING REPORTS, MAINTAINING
          LOGS, BASIC COMPUTER SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE OF OPUS SYSTEM PREFERRED.
          ABILITY TO LEGALLY AND SAFELY OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE FOR JOB RELATED
          PURPOSES FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME DURING BOTH DAY AND NIGHT HOURS, AND
          IN ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS. THIS POSITION OFTEN WORKS ALONE, IN
          CONFINED AREAS SUCH A PRISONS OR JAILS, AND OUT-OF-DOORS IN ALL TYPES
          OF WEATHER. THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR INTERACTION WITH ASSAULTIVE
          OFFENDERS. MUST SUBMIT TO PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TESTING AND PSYCHOLOGICAL
          SCREENING. PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO APPLICANTS WITH EXPERIENCE IN
          LAW ENFORCEMENT. **MUST BE A U. S. CITIZEN.**
          ** NOTE: APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE COMPLETED THOROUGHLY TO INCLUDE ALL
          EXPERIENCE,KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES;RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.**

I cannot speak for GA though.
          Knowledge is not power; the application of knowledge can be!

Comment

Originally posted by vwang
            I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but I figured it was the closest forum and that someone might have some info. In my department I sometimes see employment listings with probations for Survelliance Officer(hope I spelled that right). Down here in GA I know they have something to do with probations and prior inmates, but other than that I know nothing else. Does have anymore info on this positon, actual work performed, is it a good position etc. Any input would be helpful

BTW the spelling is S-U-R-V-E-I-L-L-A-N-C-E
            Knowledge is not power; the application of knowledge can be!

Comment

Surveillance Officers in Arizona work alongside a Probation Officer in supervising offenders. By state law they have the powers of a peace officer while on duty (serve warrants, make arrests, etc), but to the best of my knowledge they can only exercise them over probationers. They have the option to be armed with a .40 Glock, OC, baton, etc. The ones that are assigned to Intensive Probation teams and Warrants are (I think) required to be armed. The main difference between a Surveillance Officer and a Probation Officer in Arizona is that a Surveillance Officer cannot violate someone's probation. If they conduct a home visit and the offender is in violation, they must contact the P.O. and have the P.O. make the call before violating and arresting the offender. S.O. also cannot request a Probation Violation Warrant be issued, but they can serve the warrant once it's issued. They also only require 60 college credits as opposed to P.O. which requires a Bachelor's Degree by state law.
              1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3387 users online. 152 members and 3235 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X