Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand that you guys may be stuck wearing uniforms to and from work. But there are tons of options when it comes to holsters or other things to carry a firearm concealed. I am willing to bet top money that there is something out there that will accommodate carrying a concealed firearm in your uniform. For example, do you have to wear your duty rig to and from work, I'm sure you dont. But even still, you wear a belt. The easiest way is simply wearing a light jacket all year round thats long enough. Or wearing a t-shirt to and from and through your utility top on when you get to work. Of my favorite. The bellyband. BOP can carry according to the LEOSA act, but it is for concealed weapons. Not open carry.

Comment

As a BOP officer you are not permitted to carry a weapon off duty. The only way you, as an employee, can carry is concealed. The credentials issued are so that you fall under LEOSA. BOP officers are not truly sworn federal law enforcement officers (yes they are for retirement purposes), do not have any arrest authority off duty (they have very limited arrest authority while on duty) and under BOP policy are not required to carry a weapon off duty. The only thing that BOP employees get is that LEOSA coverage to carry personal firearms concealed off duty without a state issued concealed weapons permit.

If a BOP employee gets caught carrying a firearm off duty (to and from work) openly carrying a firearm will be made an example of and face serious discipline from the agency. They may also be arrested by the police (depending on what state you are in). For example in Florida the state statute states correctional officers can carry openly off duty but the caveat is the officer has to hold a current active certification from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission. So in Florida it’s a NO for openly carrying a firearm. Maybe in other states federal correctional officers may be permitted but you better check.

If you want to carry a gun off duty openly this is not the job for you.

Do I carry a firearm to and from work concealed, Yes. How do I carry? I carry a small revolver (5 shot) inside my pocket (in the pocket holster). I have the weapon locked inside my trunk while on BOP property with a lock box that is chained and locked to my spare tire per BOP policy. I do carry a larger semi auto (Glock) on my days off. I have been carrying concealed for over 25 years so this is nothing new to me. I also do not make any stops to and from work with the small exception of gas. I am not a “Look at me, Look at me, I am a FED” type of guy. I am a “Do my 8 and hit the gate” type of guy.

Last edited by pissedoff; 11-27-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I don't think anyone is saying they are out playing cop or I hope not atleast. The main thing is we in the BOP are covered under leosa for concealed carry . If you are carrying differently then follow your state laws and you should be fine one would think if your in a state that allows open carry then you should be fine no matter what you are wearing when your off BOP grounds . I am not saying it is ok to be running all over town in your uniform while off duty but a quick stop to get gas or some food on your way to or from work then you should be fine. I guess a cop could charge you for impersonating but I do not think those charges would stick once in court if you live in a open carry state and since we are law enforcement per federal law. After reading this thread I am curious what correctional agencies allow there staff to carry off duty and on their way to and from work and how they are allowed to carry. Like I said in my area and state it is nothing unusual to see those who work at the local jails to be open carrying in uniform.

Comment

Allow me to carry to and from work? Police departments I worked for required me to be armed at all times while within the area of our jurisdiction, on duty or off duty. By the time I retired I was so accustomed to carrying a side arm that it was just as difficult to leave the house without my pistol as it was to forget my wallet or my keys. Took me a year to break the habit, and even then I kept a pistol in my truck everywhere I went. After several years of ever increasing crime rates, daily reports of drive by shootings and home invasion robberies, I started carrying all the time again.

For those old enough to remember the 1970's commercials featuring Karl Malden, "Don't leave home without it".

Comment

Originally posted by bopstaff15 View Post
            I don't think anyone is saying they are out playing cop or I hope not atleast. The main thing is we in the BOP are covered under leosa for concealed carry . If you are carrying differently then follow your state laws and you should be fine one would think if your in a state that allows open carry then you should be fine no matter what you are wearing when your off BOP grounds . I am not saying it is ok to be running all over town in your uniform while off duty but a quick stop to get gas or some food on your way to or from work then you should be fine. I guess a cop could charge you for impersonating but I do not think those charges would stick once in court if you live in a open carry state and since we are law enforcement per federal law. After reading this thread I am curious what correctional agencies allow there staff to carry off duty and on their way to and from work and how they are allowed to carry. Like I said in my area and state it is nothing unusual to see those who work at the local jails to be open carrying in uniform.
            it wouldn't stick unless one was to enforce something other than protecting themself or others where a firearm would be necessary ie deadly force was legal.That being said its asking for trouble and is 110% cheesy. When I go to lead firearms recertificarion and at any BOP course around firearms (Marksman Observer etc.) the BOP Glynco Attorneys that make their appearance all say the same thing. Keep it concealed. And have since I became an instructor in 2004

But are free to do what their career and checkbook can handle
            Last edited by in625shooter; 11-27-2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Guess some of you missed the part about being a TARGET because you’re walking around in uniform off duty. Take the shirt off. Put on a sweatshirt, short sleeve. What is so hard to understand about that?

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Guess some of you missed the part about being a TARGET because you’re walking around in uniform off duty. Take the shirt off. Put on a sweatshirt, short sleeve. What is so hard to understand about that?
                The downside to BOP is we have a few of "Those Staff" Some of them just won't get it, want to argue and those same ones probably think the Epstien officers are being picked on for getting called out for falsifying about every form they had to use. Heard it all from our village idiots and the Union blowhards trying to do the bait and switch.

Some always try and justify their own exemptions to the rules!

Comment

I agree every institution has those one or two knuckle heads that are always doing stupid stuff . If I carry to and from work my firearm is always concealed. I have jacket over my firearm. When I am off the clock I always carry if you see me out I am armed and it is still concealed my preferred method is with a OWB holster with a shirt over it or pull over in the winter. I have ran into to many former inmates on the street not to be carrying a firearm. It is weird you might forget former inmates but they never forget you and they have no problem approaching you and your family in public. I used to never see any federal inmates on the street till the last few years I have seen several.

Comment

I'm glad I switched to a non-uniformed LEO position. My uniform yesterday was jeans,a NASA t-shirt, running shoes, cuffs, P320, and a badge.

Comment

Originally posted by bopstaff15 View Post
                      I worked as a corrections officer in a red county in a "pro-gun" state, and I was not allowed to carry concealed while in uniform. Some of my coworkers and I would put on a jacket to hide our uniforms since we had no way to protect ourselves going to and from work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12616 users online. 457 members and 12159 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X