Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that the BOP doesn’t even issue a badge to its officers should be an indicator of how much authority they want you exhibiting outside of the fence line. There’s also no need to be out in public unnecessarily painting a target on your back for criminals, ex-inmates, or anti-LE agitators... especially nowadays.

The Bureau is finally allowing officers to bring their personal weapons onto Federal property in order to protect themselves while commuting to and from work. Don’t screw it up because you want to look all tacticool walking into Quick Chek to grab a Gatorade before your shift.

Ditch or cover the uniform shirt for your commute, carry concealed, and go about your day.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC1986 View Post
      The fact that the BOP doesn’t even issue a badge to its officers should be an indicator of how much authority they want you exhibiting outside of the fence line. There’s also no need to be out in public unnecessarily painting a target on your back for criminals, ex-inmates, or anti-LE agitators... especially nowadays.

The Bureau is finally allowing officers to bring their personal weapons onto Federal property in order to protect themselves while commuting to and from work. Don’t screw it up because you want to look all tacticool walking into Quick Chek to grab a Gatorade before your shift.

Ditch or cover the uniform shirt for your commute, carry concealed, and go about your day.
      If you read PS 5510.15 that covers Detaining and Arresting non inmates. BOP only has Statutory Powers of Arrest for ON DUTY staff only. And even then with over 18 years in with 10 years on SORT I have never heard of a cased where a BOP staff member effected an arrest. Usually they detain and refer to the FBI for say drug intros in the VR and local LE if a DUI wanders onto grounds

So no badge is needed for off duty as you are not required to carry a firearm or are you representing BOP. Do you have a perk by LEOSA? Yes but the only thing special (perk) is you can have your firearm with you.

Besides LEOSA is only for you to save your skin not to turn anyone into an 1811.
      Last edited by in625shooter; 11-06-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

At my off duty, private employment job, I carried a pocket sized pistol in a pocket holster and kept it in my back pocket concealed. No one else knew it was there.

It also made a nice BUG on the job.

Comment

I do not work Corrections now, but I did work State Corrections for over 6 years and I understand that a lot of guys want to wear a gun and be seen outside of the gates with a gun on their side. Its as if the gun on their side makes them more a part of law enforcement. I worked with guys who wore a gun belt around inside of the prison and would put their gun in it at the end of the day. Just DO NOT get caught up in a situation outside of those gates off duty with your gun if it is unclear that your agency allows you to carry on your badge. My old corrections department did not authorize off duty carry, so I had a carry permit and only carried concealed. I only carry concealed now, and always will when off duty.

Be proud of what you do. Without Corrections Officers the criminal justice system would not function. You are a vital part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            I do not work Corrections now, but I did work State Corrections for over 6 years and I understand that a lot of guys want to wear a gun and be seen outside of the gates with a gun on their side. Its as if the gun on their side makes them more a part of law enforcement. I worked with guys who wore a gun belt around inside of the prison and would put their gun in it at the end of the day. Just DO NOT get caught up in a situation outside of those gates off duty with your gun if it is unclear that your agency allows you to carry on your badge. My old corrections department did not authorize off duty carry, so I had a carry permit and only carried concealed. I only carry concealed now, and always will when off duty.

Be proud of what you do. Without Corrections Officers the criminal justice system would not function. You are a vital part of it.

How long ago were you with your agency? If staff fall within the rules of LEOSA coverage (SPA etc) the agency can't restrict carry under LEOSA. Sure they could try and take away say SPA or etc to make one not covered but a good Attorney with a class action lawsuit (provided you don't have a good Union) would squash that in no time.

As far as carrying I'm not sure why anyone would want to open carry and be that Loud American. Nobody cares off duty is off duty. And as stated the BOP folks have zero SPA off duty. Sounless a shooting involves an ex in mates etc BOP won't cover you and you act on your own. LEOSA is just a tool for one to be protected nothing more nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

How long ago were you with your agency? If staff fall within the rules of LEOSA coverage (SPA etc) the agency can't restrict carry under LEOSA. Sure they could try and take away say SPA or etc to make one not covered but a good Attorney with a class action lawsuit (provided you don't have a good Union) would squash that in no time.

As far as carrying I'm not sure why anyone would want to open carry and be that Loud American. Nobody cares off duty is off duty. And as stated the BOP folks have zero SPA off duty. Sounless a shooting involves an ex in mates etc BOP won't cover you and you act on your own. LEOSA is just a tool for one to be protected nothing more nothing less.
              I was with the Georgia Department Of Corrections from 1990 until 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post

I was with the Georgia Department Of Corrections from 1990 until 1996.
                Does GA DOC fall under LEOSA coverage guidelines?

Comment

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Does GA DOC fall under LEOSA coverage guidelines?
                  I do not know.

Comment

BOP03, I'm going to take the high road and assume that you're concern is commuting to and from work safely, legally, and conveniently.

I imagine that training and experience (yours or others) has taught you that there are some personal security risks with commuting in uniform. That said, you may have made that choice by necessity (e.g.: fifty lockers for 300 CO's) or other reasons. You can somewhat reduce your risks by driving strictly to and from work, but inevitably you will sooner rather than later have to stop for food, gas, or some traffic issue.

While most LEO's are unlikely to jam you up for carrying openly (especially since most won't have any idea of the legality), you have to look toward worst case scenarios. If you are forced into a shooting during your commute, you will be scrutinized by the media, politicians, your chain of command, the investigating agency, and state/federal prosecutors. Unless or even if open carry is legal in your state, your violation of law may provide an easy win for a prosecutor concerned about criminal advocacy groups.

Since BOP does not have a policy on this issue,you don't want to be the guy who created one. A complaint about a federal CO "brandishing" a holstered pistol while grabbing a soda at 7-11 could well result in some CO across the country getting written up because a pancake holster was spotted beneath his jacket as he hopped out of his car to go to work in some distant state. Stay below administration radar.

Another issue is that a holster for open carry on the belt would be a literal pain in the handcuff case. I can't imagine the hassle of attaching and detaching a holster from the belt every day. This may not be as much of an issue if you don't wear an actual Sam Brown belt, but I am inclined to think concealed carry under a jacket is your best alternative.

If I can offer an upside to this, your circumstance is one of the few good reasons to carry in a shoulder holster. Good luck and be safe.
                    John from Maryland

Comment

We aren’t cops. We only open carry on trips and outside work details. On your own time...hide that ish. Lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5334 users online. 216 members and 5118 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X