Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should have a secure part of the facility to lock up weapons upon arrival. Any reasonable person should be able to figure out how to transfer a weapon without asking for help online.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-crime View Post

You can say that about most corrections not all, my agency does allot of law enforcement duties .

You are absolutely right, of course. My state's DOC OSI-SIU is out arresting fugitives. In my way of thinking, it doesn't get much more real than that!

As an aside, I am frankly shocked that probation officers in my state are doing field visits completely unarmed!

I have actually read that probation officers in some certain states are armed! Apparently some states actually allow them to arrest people, on their own!

I don't know the current status of federal probation officers these days, however. Are they armed or unarmed? Does it still vary by district?

Comment

• TedMosby
        TedMosby commented
        Editing a comment
        Nevada DPS Probation & Parole officers are armed. Issued glocks. They are legally able to arrest people on their own. They are each issued undercover vehicles too. When they do field or house visits, they run a two person crew. Pretty cool gig from talking to a few ppl there

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post

You are absolutely right, of course. My state's DOC OSI-SIU is out arresting fugitives. In my way of thinking, it doesn't get much more real than that!

As an aside, I am frankly shocked that probation officers in my state are doing field visits completely unarmed!

I have actually read that probation officers in some certain states are armed! Apparently some states actually allow them to arrest people, on their own!

I don't know the current status of federal probation officers these days, however. Are they armed or unarmed? Does it still vary by district?
      Here in NYC the probation officers are armed and 24/7 peace officers as is the corrections . We have our Intel unit that goes out and makes arrests, give out summons , parking tickets , we process our own arrests and we even have officers on the ny/NJ fugitive task force . So some corrections is law enforcement and some are not . I think they all should be law enforcement based .

Comment

• BNWS
        BNWS commented
        Editing a comment
        Parking tickets?

Originally posted by Mhefner5 View Post
      They should have a secure part of the facility to lock up weapons upon arrival. Any reasonable person should be able to figure out how to transfer a weapon without asking for help online.

​​​​​​They (BOP) are not going to spend $$ on gun lockers since they do not "require" staff to carry off duty. As far as advice on line you are right in most cases however a forum like this is a resource, there are a lot of BOP staff that can give some guidance. Like mentioned BOP is slow on answering questions as a whole but some institutuon get I do on new oolipo a little quicker so asking here allows those that might be involved with BOP to give the correct answer

If you have never been in BOP it's different. Bot a bad agency but different.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post

And, I don't see corrections as part of law enforcement. I see corrections as, well, corrections.
        Here in Cali, CDCR is considered Law Enforcement since we're Peace Officers, although I guess it depends on which SD or PD you ask. Our ISU (Gang unit) and CRT (Prison Swat) both work on the streets along with other agencies to do raids/gang sweeps, serve warrants and other tasks.
        As for the OP, I agree with the others, we already have targets on our backs, why make it easier for them?

Comment

I don't even wear my uniform to or from work, so wearing one while open carrying off duty is really weird. Unless you work an armed post why would your duty belt even have a holster, much less a holster for your concealed carry weapon? LEOSA does not cover open carry, it is for concealed carry, you still risk punishment for violating state open carry laws, if applicable, if you do this.

Comment

BNWS yes parking tickets, mainly on rikers island

Comment

It just makes sense to me to open carry to and from work in uniform. It be hard to conceal carry in uniform unless you pocket carry or ankle carry. You could get a holster that can tucked in and carry concealed but that would be a hassle to tuck and untuck your shirt once you got to work. I live in a open carry state so I don't see the issue with open carry. I am not out playing cop.

Comment

You STILL don’t understand what we are telling you. Go ahead. Wear your uniform and gun all over when you are off duty. Go shopping, get gas, go on dates.

Then, when you get beaten or killed, we can point to this thread to the next idiot who asks this question...
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

BOP03- no offense but are you brain dead or what? Do you not see the problem of wearing your uniform to and from work and carrying your firearm??
                  https://fox2now.com/2018/05/02/sheri...purred-attack/

Grant it the deputy was riding a bus to work, more than likely ride freeif in uniform deal, but still.what would be your excuse when walking in getting coffee before work? Or stopping somewhere in the way home. Do you really value your uniform and wearing a gun vs your life. Dude think twice wearing your uniform OFF DUTY
                  I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

No mention the safty issue, what if some guy want to make a friend with you only because they know you work in corrections? You’re not even suppose to wear uniform off duty no matter you’re with nor without firearms.

Comment

• J2H
                      J2H commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If it's like other Feds, you can wear the uniform off-duty to and from work and for training

Originally posted by BOP03 View Post
                    It just makes sense to me to open carry to and from work in uniform. It be hard to conceal carry in uniform unless you pocket carry or ankle carry. You could get a holster that can tucked in and carry concealed but that would be a hassle to tuck and untuck your shirt once you got to work. I live in a open carry state so I don't see the issue with open carry. I am not out playing cop.
                    BOP03, respectfully your missing the whole point. LEOSA is for off duty carry which means concealed. If you are in a state that allows open carry on their state permit then that's your right if your NOT in uniform. If you parade around in uniform not on duty misrepresenting BOP your going to find yourself the subject of an ethics investigation and that's if your lucky. Like others have said you will also be a target of opportunity. You can conceal it in your uniform if you just have to stop after work but most of us want out of it as quickly as we can be.

Don't be "that guy" that makes a new policy come out.

Comment

Hey homes, just wear a regular jacket after work or t shirt. Wear a comfortable IWB holster and call it a day. Be secret squirl about it.

Comment

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

BOP03, respectfully your missing the whole point. LEOSA is for off duty carry which means concealed. If you are in a state that allows open carry on their state permit then that's your right if your NOT in uniform. If you parade around in uniform not on duty misrepresenting BOP your going to find yourself the subject of an ethics investigation and that's if your lucky. Like others have said you will also be a target of opportunity. You can conceal it in your uniform if you just have to stop after work but most of us want out of it as quickly as we can be.

Don't be "that guy" that makes a new policy come out.
                        Truth!!!! I can’t wait to take off that damn uniform as soon as my shift is over. Why somebody would want to parade around off duty in uniform is weird. Perhaps searching for attention!?!?

Comment

I hate even wearing just my uniform pants (no choice) much less my entire uniform while off duty. Like someone mentioned, many people, especially Parolees know where you work just by the pants even with a cover shirt. Even walking out/in my house before/after with the uniform pants feels weird...good thing a couple of my neighbors are LEOs. I always make sure to pump gas on my days off so I dont have to during the work week.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7272 users online. 449 members and 6823 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X