300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Leave

How Can You Get In Trouble For Using Your Own Earned Sick Leave, Especially If You Have Doctor's Notes?

yes and people use it way to much. it is a privledge that they DO NOT have to give you

Comment

I Understand When People Abuse It, But When You've Got Proper Documentation, Then It's Bull$hit. Man, When They Try To Break Up The Cliques They Do Whatever It Takes.

Comment

It's established under federal labor relations law that Sick Leave is owned by the employee for as long as they work for the agency. In a nutshell, it's a right as long as it's used legally. I'm not sure how that applies to your state body of laws and regulations, but I'm sure that it's substantially the same. Use of Sick Leave for documented medical treatment is a legal use. If not, what is it for? A tool for management to use against employees?

Most likely, what you are experiencing is plain old fashioned intimidation on the part of management. If they are called using the established procedures for addressing such issues, their game will be up and they'll back off.

In the Bureau of Prisons, everytime we get new executive staff at an institution this issue gets revistited. Normally every two to three years. The agency always loses when the union files a grievance in a timely manner. Personally, I think that administrators use Sick Leave write ups as a method of determining how on the ball the union leadership is at an institution. They know that they are going to lose, so losing doesn't hurt much. But they get to see the opposition in action and learn what they are up against, to better judge how much they'll be allowed to get away with.
        "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Its Gonna Take A Lot More Than A Write Up To Break Me. I Dont See Them. Intimidation Dont Work On Me. Wise Ole Men Say,"i Was Looking For A Job When I Found This One."

Comment

Originally posted by SVT-LINCOLN
            Its Gonna Take A Lot More Than A Write Up To Break Me. I Dont See Them. Intimidation Dont Work On Me. Wise Ole Men Say,"i Was Looking For A Job When I Found This One."

A wise old man also said why do you need to capitalize every word?

Comment

True. I Kept The Caps On But It Only Capitalized The First Letter Of Each Word...balee Dat.

Comment

Here abusing your sick leave will get you a visit with the Warden, and placed on a status where if you call in sick you will be required to bring a doctors note every time to return to work (costing you money as well as burning your sick leave).

If you go off the books (LWOP) then you need to get permission from the Warden to return to work (which he does not have to grant, effectively terminating you).

The union here is weak, not many members as Texas is a right to work state.

So basically you screw yourself by abusing your sick leave.
                the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

Originally posted by TX_CO
                  So basically you screw yourself by abusing your sick leave.
                  (operative word being abusing)And you end up screwing your co-workers as well in two ways.

1. You make it tougher for those who are actually sick by casting doubt on good, honest employees.

2. Sometimes you force others to work short handed, longer shifts or overtime. Money isn't everything, some days I would trade sleep and mental rest for several hundred bucks in OT $$

Before anyone lights me up, remember the operative word: "abusing"

Just my two cents.

Comment

There is one very simple way to keep people from abusing Sick Leave. That is to pay them for it when they quit or retire--just like they do with Annual Leave. As the system is setup now, only a fool would give away tens of thousands of dollars for--for what? The privilege of riding the warden's leg? So that one gets a pat on the back after 20+ years for returning 2080 hours of Sick Leave to the agency? A nice pat on the head for being ripped-off and happy about it?

If you take my agency as an example. Say a Correctional Officer retires at age 50 with 20 years service as a GL-8 Step 10. Let's say that his salary is $55,000 per year. During his career he will have earned 4 hours of Sick Leave every pay period. There being 26 pay periods per year that totals 104 hours a year. Multiply 104 by 20 and you get 2080 hours, which is the number of hours in his work year. So, if he uses no Sick Leave during his 20 years he will be providing to the agency and removing from his own pocket $55,000 for that 20 year period.

Gee, no wonder the agency wants to discourage Sick Leave usage. No wonder that every warden and associate warden who, before he retires burns all his Sick Leave getting every little real or imagined health issue worked on while working on the golf course. I've never heard an administrator complain about the increased work load caused by a warden or AW being gone on Sick Leave. It seems that it only applies to line staff.
                    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

NC sick leave

Here in NC. if you quit you lose all your sick time.
                      however if you stick it out and retire, you can count that sick time
                      toward your retirement. we get 7.39 hours per pay period.
                      so it adds up. Also all excess leave (anything over 240 hours i think)
                      is converted to sick time at the end of the year. and as short handed as we are it is easy to build up lots of sick time.)
                      However when you quit you lose it all.
                      I lost over 1000 hours. when I quit I just could not burn it off fast enough.
                      I did however keep all my paper work. if/when there is a class action
                      lawsuit, I will be ready to file.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4388 users online. 254 members and 4134 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X