Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have an interview wed. Advice please..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an interview wed. Advice please..

I have a interview this week. I was looking for some advice about what they are wanting to hear in the interview to make me look better, and be more likely to get the job.

Or any other advice you have for interviews..

Can u handle the truth?

I will tell you the inside track to an interview...especially in Law Enforcement!

HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY!!! That's all they want. The truth with every question. Stole a Tootsie Roll from the Bulk bin at age 7...tell 'em. Flipped off the McDonald's manager at age 15 after you quit your crap job...tell 'em. Got busted at age 18 with some brews....tell 'em. Speeding ticket at age 21 with your hot little sports car and a ho' next to you...tell 'em. It's called life! The interviewer' know it, and they will understand. However, they will also understand that you are a stand-up guy, who understands the mistakes he made!!

Besides....most background investigations and/or lie detector tests will bring out the truth. Why hide it??
    Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

Comment

u

They will likely ask you if you are willing to shoot a fleeing felon in the back or any other way. Your answer, if you want the job, is yes but don't sound happy about it. They also will likely ask you questions about situations with I/Ms. Apply fair and firm ideals to whatever they ask and you will do fine. Show up early well groomed and dressed. Sit up straight, look the panel in the eye and be pleasant. You will do fine. Good luck.

I'm going to have to disagree with my fellow officer from the empire state in regards to polygraphs. The only thing they show is physiological responses which may or may not correlate with truths and falsehoods. Any real sociopath or individual trained in the methods of deception in regards to polys can beat them any day of the week.

check out www.antipolygraph.org It is a very interesting and informative site.
      Last edited by SHU; 04-15-2007, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Clean dark suit, resh haircut and shave, shine up the shoes, nice conservative tie (i.e. no Spongebob Square pants Ties, etc).

Answer the questions to the best of your ability. If you never done corrections or LE type work they will understand. They (the board) understand that a person who was a register jockey at best buy never had to deal with a 10-96 trying to peel open his skin to "get the bugs out".
        Ever feel like you live in the state of confusion?

Comment

honesty

Just be honest about everything. Also don't use names if you have to describe something that happened. I wouldn't try and make it sound like your superman either. Just shoot straight with them. Remember almost everyone that sits on an interview board can smell B.S. from a mile away.
          It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkansas Red
            Clean dark suit, resh haircut and shave, shine up the shoes, nice conservative tie (i.e. no Spongebob Square pants Ties, etc).
            Very much agree with the above. I've worked with 3 different agencies and a lot of the people that interview dress like they are going to Wal-Mart. Dressing like a tool doesn't mean you won't get the job necessarily, but remember that the people doing the interviews also may be your supervisor someday. My first boss once told me that the first step to being a professional is looking like one.

Also being straight forward is huge. Most of the people interviewing have worked Corrections for many years and can see right through people.

Comment

Be sure to shake hands with a firm handshake. Don't be weak. Also remember the first impression is something you will never get back. Greet people with respect, you never know who the warden or the secretary is. Also show confidence in your answers. Don't fire answers right after they ask them, take a breathe and answer. Also have a list of questions written down for them. Such as advancement, hours worked etc.

Comment

What other questions should i ask, I can't think of any.

What questions do they usually ask? if you can tell me.
                Last edited by Seven50Rider; 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM.

Comment

They will ask situational questions for the most part, but they may ask you questions about the department, like "what do you know about us?". So make sure you go online before you interview and find out as much as you can about the department, ie how many employees, how many inmates, etc.

Comment

Touche'!

Originally posted by SHU
                    They will likely ask you if you are willing to shoot a fleeing felon in the back or any other way. Your answer, if you want the job, is yes but don't sound happy about it. They also will likely ask you questions about situations with I/Ms. Apply fair and firm ideals to whatever they ask and you will do fine. Show up early well groomed and dressed. Sit up straight, look the panel in the eye and be pleasant. You will do fine. Good luck.

I'm going to have to disagree with my fellow officer from the empire state in regards to polygraphs. The only thing they show is physiological responses which may or may not correlate with truths and falsehoods. Any real sociopath or individual trained in the methods of deception in regards to polys can beat them any day of the week.

check out www.antipolygraph.org It is a very interesting and informative site.

Yeah, I know. Should have said what you said...thanks bro!
                    Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3971 users online. 157 members and 3814 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X