Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmate living conditions

I have a question for CO's

what are inmate living conditions like. (what do they get to have etc.)

A. How inmates think it is ?

B Are there any state standards?

AS someone that has worked in the CJ feild for years, and in a jail for some of that time-
    inmates always complain. They want their freedom, but they cant have it. Yes- of course there are standards, and chains of command. yes if any type of "incident" goes down you better be able to explian it very well -*expeisally if someone is hurt or killed*.
    the standsards are that they are to be given clean jumpsuits at least oonce a day. wether or not they take it is their choice. after dening themselves of a shower/ clean clothes/ boxers and what not- the other inmates will help them take it.
    they must be fed 3 times a day. (no it does not have to be hot, not it does not have to be steak........a sandwich and water can be dealt also. But they bit*h about the food. (Personlly I would starve if I was ever locked up)
    there is guide lines about how many CO's to inmates. sad;y most jails are over crowded therefore there is alot more inmates to that CO. But on the bright side......they do know who is in charge (at least they claim to)
    and jails do not provide room serivce, no sleep ins. that is the biggest thing that pizzes them off.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

People here who spend the night over in the detention area of the police station get McDonalds for breakfast. They have their choice of either coffee or orange juice and an egg mcmuffin or pancakes. They eat better than I do.

Comment

I was told by my corrections instructor (assistant warden at the federal institute in Oxford, WI) that a peanut butter sandwich meats the minimum nutritional requirements :P Wouldn't that suck? Now, that's not what they're served and he hasn't really dove into the facility's meal plan. I don't know if it will help answer your question, but I figured you might think it's interesting. It also gives a general perspective of what they get vs. what they COULD be getting.
        Last edited by Guams; 04-10-2007, 01:19 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Tough life.

Cable TV, full gym access, earn money for jobs inside, free education, 3 square meals. There's even jails now allowing inmates to wear golf shirts and jeans.

There is also the element for them to improve their skills inside when associating with other "experts".

Their living conditions aren't bad at all considering what it's taken to get them there.

Comment

My only experience has been a 24 hour stint resulting from a DUI - at Geiger Correctional Facility.

I was jailed with 3 other men in a room with an open door and we had access to almost the entire building during most of the day - some rooms had TV's and cable. Within the building were multiple floors, one of which was all women - and there was nothing in place to keep us from going floor to floor (but obviously it was severely discouraged and a punishable offense).

We got multiple chances every day to go outside to play horseshoes, smoke, watch movies, and lift weights, and three square meals a day were served.

For many it was a very sweet existence with all the amenities (if not more) than they had at home. I however hated it. I took every chance to sit outside and smoke, and when I wasn't smoking I stayed in my room to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrain
              Tough life.

Cable TV, full gym access, earn money for jobs inside, free education, 3 square meals. There's even jails now allowing inmates to wear golf shirts and jeans.

There is also the element for them to improve their skills inside when associating with other "experts".

Their living conditions aren't bad at all considering what it's taken to get them there.

Yeah you know, i mean the fact that all privacy is revoked. The extremely high chance of getting roughed up horribly or maybe even caught in between a race riot and killed. Nah those conditions seem pretty good to me. I think i might just go kill someone for a small room with cable tv and a fenced in wonderful yard with a weight bench and a basketball court. Why the hell do people think that cable tv and that j*** make it a good life to live in prison? Sure they screwed up big time but jesus christ man, even if you're even slightly religious (which i am not by the way, ironic right?) you know that everyone is given a right to forgiveness. No i'm not talking about the guys who killed 3 12 year old boys and girls after raping them, no. But what about a kid who was caught up in a gang war where thats the only life he knows and shoots someone and goes down for life for it? Sociecty in a whole isn't doing jack **** to help the situation so HOW can we condemn them? Yeah thats what i thought, you're pretty much being a hypocrite when you speak out against stuff like this because you're not doing anything to prevent the cause or effect for that matter.
              Last edited by Dtrain666; 04-11-2007, 11:55 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

We have a directive that outlines inmate property, if it is not in the directive it is not allowed and is contraband and is Statewide policy for the Department.

I don't ask I/M what they think about it as it doesn't matter.

Our I/M do not get paid for working, if they don't work they face disciplinary sanctions (restrictions, loss of privileges) plain and simple.

If you don't like the rules and accomodations don't get convicted.

I work for the Department of Criminal Justice, the forgiveness and blaming society department is down the hall and to the left.
                Last edited by TX_CO; 04-11-2007, 05:52 PM.
                the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

The jail I worked at was the second largest in GA housing close to 3,000 inmates. WE DO NOT HAVE TV's in our jail for inmates at all. There is one TV in the Deputies breakroom only. Each week Inmates get 3 uniforms and one roll of TP. Each month they get one bar of soap, a flex pen, 15 sheets of paper, toothpaste, a finger toothbrush and that is it. Anything else such as deodorant they must buy themselves. Phone calls are only collect and are recorded. They sleep on a 2 inch thick mat and have one thin blanket. They get one hour of rec yard time 5 days a week.

Meals consist of cold ceral and milk each morning, every morning.

Lunch...turkey bolongna or PB&J...alternates every other day with lays prison chips and a nasty fake fruit juice.

A hot dinner...standard school type lunch. No salt, no pepper, no butter.

Inmates don't like our jail. They whine and complain that they get this and that at the other jails...we tell them to please committ their crimes in other counties from now on. We don't like Inmates...Inmates claim they don't like us, we are hoping they don't come back. BUT THEY DO, over and over and over and over and over and over and over so they must actually like jail I guess.
                  Last edited by Rapax; 04-11-2007, 06:44 PM.
                  "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
                  Office Space

Comment

I could go into the whole TCJS rigamarole but I won't. Sufficive to say, the inmates at our county jail come back time and time again, even after they've served their time at TDC. They are truly institutionalized and they whine all the time how everything is "bull****" yet when you tell them to bond out if they don't like it, they don't listen!!! Imagine that! In booking, until they bond out or are dressed in and placed for classification, I feed them Johnny Sacks. When they get to a pod, they are required to have "reasonably warm" meals and they get them three times per day. They can have money put on their books, get commissary, phone cards and hygiene items. They can write greivances for everything and anything and demand rank when they feel as though they are bieng wronged. They don't like to be told what to do but yet continually put themselves in a place where they must abide by the rules yet seemingly can't even do that in a controlled environment.

That being said, they have no privacy, they share the same **** and crap stained toilet and must enjoy each others smells. They have no watches and continually ask, Hey Boss what time is it? They get visitation no more than twice a week and it is on video monitor and they have an approved list of channels that they can watch. Personally, I can't see why anyone would want to put themselves in that environment much less want to keep coming back. Then again, they must like being around 48 other stinky, sweaty, naked, disgusting guys.
                    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I really don't buy into that whole "the gang life is all he knows" bull crap or the "he had a horrible childhood" bovine excrement either. In my time in the military I've met alot of men and women who came from horrible backgrounds and were able to escape and thrive within the service. It can be done if they want to do it. You just have to have enough will.
                      I can't believe I do this for free!

Comment

Originally posted by Dtrain666
                        Yeah you know, i mean the fact that all privacy is revoked. The extremely high chance of getting roughed up horribly or maybe even caught in between a race riot and killed. Nah those conditions seem pretty good to me. I think i might just go kill someone for a small room with cable tv and a fenced in wonderful yard with a weight bench and a basketball court. Why the hell do people think that cable tv and that j*** make it a good life to live in prison? Sure they screwed up big time but jesus christ man, even if you're even slightly religious (which i am not by the way, ironic right?) you know that everyone is given a right to forgiveness. No i'm not talking about the guys who killed 3 12 year old boys and girls after raping them, no. But what about a kid who was caught up in a gang war where thats the only life he knows and shoots someone and goes down for life for it? Sociecty in a whole isn't doing jack **** to help the situation so HOW can we condemn them? Yeah thats what i thought, you're pretty much being a hypocrite when you speak out against stuff like this because you're not doing anything to prevent the cause or effect for that matter.

People are placed in prison for a reason. They have proven themselves to be unfit or dangerous to society. To make it in to prison you have had a large negative impact on society in some form. If you're in prison you've likely been arrested on several occasions and have been given chances to get your s(*t together. You have likely proven yourself unable to do this. I don't know what kind of people you think are in prison, but what do you suggest be done with them? I sure as hell don't want them on the street. If you're old enough to consciously take someone elses life for reasons other then self defense, then as far as I'm concerned you're old enough to pay the consequences for it. If you're out selling drugs you are contributing to the horrible environment that you are supposedly so upset about being brought up in. The thing about incarcerated individuals is the fact that very few of them are truly remorseful. They may feel bad because they are incarcerated, but they don't actually feel bad about what they did. They all have sob stories, which may or may not be true. The problem is none of them seem to think they should be acccountable for their actions. They lack the abiliity to see they are wrong and aknowledge the negative impact they've made. They are selfish. Until you can show us all a way to to teach accountability to a group of people who are experts at saying what people want to hear in order to get what they want not much can change. You introduce structure, order, and discipline in to these peoples lives because they are unable to provide it for themselves. Instead of learning from it, these individuals just try harder to work around it. If you have the answer you know something no one else has been able to figure out.
                        Last edited by richx528; 04-11-2007, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Name and DOC number?
                          Be sure you're right, then go ahead
                          Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
                          If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowles
                            Name and DOC number?
                            That's good stuff

Comment

Better yet, what are you doing for them huh? How about you place the blame on the parents who decided not to be there for their little darlings. Oh and hell yeah, cry me a river, so he lives the gang life...they know right from wrong, they choose to follow that path and HE IS STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING ANOTHER PERSONS LIFE. Suck it up, deal with it, and put your money where your mouth is...if you have the solution put it out there, otherwise you're a much bigger hypocrite and one who tries to blame everyone else but not the person responsible.

Oh and right on Bowles!!
                              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6500 users online. 358 members and 6142 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X