300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peace officer status

I work for the Indiana DOC. We probably have no hope in hell of ever becoming peace officers. I was just curious why some states choose to not do this. Sure you would have to up your standards but they should probably be doing that anyway.
    I can't believe I do this for free!

The definition of "Peace Officer' varies from state to state. NC gives us peace officer status however the only statutory arrest power we have is the arrest of an escaped inmate.

NC 148-4:
    the Secretary of Correction or his authorized representative, who shall designate the places of confinement within the State prison system where the sentences of all such persons shall be served. The authorized agents of the Secretary shall have all the authority of peace officers for the purpose of transferring prisoners from place to place in the State as their duties might require and for apprehending, arresting, and returning to prison escaped prisoners, and may be commissioned by the Governor, either generally or specially, as special officers for returning escaped prisoners or other fugitives from justice from outside the State
    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Nys

I am currently in 120 Hour Peace officer academy here in NY. Here we have all the powers of a police officer with the exception of making an arrest with a warrant. We carry firearms as well. ( we have to qualify every year)

Comment

We don't really even have powers to arrest an escapee that I know of. We just recently went through a uniform change. rumor has it that it was done because the State Police felt that our uniforms looked too much like theirs. Shows you how much the states feels about it's COs.
        I can't believe I do this for free!

Comment

NYS DOCS we have peace officer status. No clue why, the department itself doesn't want us to ever do anything off duty!

Tfsgroi -what 120 hour academy are you currently in?
          New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest inmates in the country!

Comment

Originally posted by Kokoro
            We don't really even have powers to arrest an escapee that I know of. We just recently went through a uniform change. rumor has it that it was done because the State Police felt that our uniforms looked too much like theirs. Shows you how much the states feels about it's COs.
            Didn't yall have black uniforms BDU style pants? Couple of y'alls COs came down to Tx at my jail and took one of 'your' guys back to his home. If I'm correct, y'all looked pretty sharp to me.

Being a police officer and working in a county facility I can truly say that COs are looked down upon for some reason. Hell, even our road deputies who started in the jail forget where they came from. It truly is a thankless job.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Speaking of uniforms, New York State HAS to have the worst corrections uniform in the country :-( We don't want to look too authoritative, it might intimidate the inmates!

Comment

Our uniforms aren't too bad, but we still don't get any respect. Here is a link that shows our uniforms.

http://www.sccgov.org/portal/site/do...0048dc4a92____
                Noise Check!

Vic Mackey was my Training Officer

Comment

Originally posted by CO1989
                  Speaking of uniforms, New York State HAS to have the worst corrections uniform in the country :-( We don't want to look too authoritative, it might intimidate the inmates!

I think your right..too bad they are pieces of sh*t
                  If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

Prime Evil, your uniforms are 100% better than ours!

Comment

I think the state could save a few bucks..get us nice polo shirts and BDU pants or something..Even our class A uniforms are a joke
                      If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

We just got new uniforms, for the jail staff only. We went from the tan deputy uniforms to dark green shirts with embroidered badges and name tags (no metal hardware) and tan cargo pants. It's not bad but it separates us from the rest of the county. Bad thing is, just as I'm getting used to this uniform I'll more than likely be hitting patrol and go back to the polyester and the hard ware.
                        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Here in Oklahoma if you get on the cert team they send you to cleet. This is the same course every police officer and sheriff's deputy in the state has to go through. But our Department rules and regs say we only have the powers of arrest if it is within the scope of employment. Even though we are sworn peace officer's How about that?
                          It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by DOCSatTheGunk
                            I think the state could save a few bucks..get us nice polo shirts and BDU pants or something..Even our class A uniforms are a joke
                            Look on the bright side atleast yall get class A uniforms. We had a funeral recently for a fellow CO, we had to wear our duty uniforms.

Comment

At my facility our class "A"'s are our duty uniform
                              It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5984 users online. 325 members and 5659 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X