300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth officer or caseworker

I recently had to resign being a cadet due to a knee injury. I would not be able to put my 100% in the academy since I was injured. I've thought about being a dispatcher for a dept, becomming a youth correctional officer or a youth counselor.

Does anyone here have any information as to what would be an alternative to a peace officer for a dept?

I live in southern cal, fyi...

How in-depth was the academy for being a youth correctional officer ? youth counselor?

live in? experiences?
    tested in San Diego- SWB, 10/11
    NOR-11/11
    TSL- 11/17/11
    pft1- 12/8/11
    Pre-E Forms-completed 3/12
    Qual- completed 3/12
    Medical Ex- completed 4/12
    S I-completed 3/12
    Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
    Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
    Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
    Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
    new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

Personally I'd go the dispatcher route, with case management as a fall back. It will be a cold day in hell when I work at a youth facility.
    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

From what I know, all Case Workers (Counselors) and all CO's go to the same academy with individual training later. But I'm sure one of the CDCR folks can correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Bowles why you say that? I work in a Youth Fascility which houses longer term wards between 13-19. It doesn't seem so bad. I personally don't know how you guys can work in the Big house. :P

But I do warn you, don't work in as a youth officer in a detention fascility with a bad knee. You will have to do a lot of restraints yourself, and if your knee is f*cked up, your gonaa be in pain.
        Last edited by MrGalt; 04-05-2007, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Is there anyone here that works/has worked or knows another member on this forum that works in youth corrections?
          tested in San Diego- SWB, 10/11
          NOR-11/11
          TSL- 11/17/11
          pft1- 12/8/11
          Pre-E Forms-completed 3/12
          Qual- completed 3/12
          Medical Ex- completed 4/12
          S I-completed 3/12
          Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
          Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
          Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
          Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
          new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

Comment

I'm a probation officer and my wife worked in one of our halls prior to her promotion to PO....

For our county, you would have to pass a physical exam to work in one of the halls. Your knee might exclude you from duty, as you would be required to run and break up fights, etc.

If your knee heals, then you'd be good to go. If not, then maybe look into dispatch.

best of luck with your search.
            Last edited by Dirrk; 07-05-2007, 12:28 AM.

Comment

According to your post, you live in Southern CA. You should look into Probation Department. They are hiring like crazy right now. The academy is very very very easy. The academy is only 6 weeks long. I am in the fourth weeks now. They used to call it youth counselor, but now they change the job title to Deputy Juvenile Correctional Officer. You actually get a badge and have limited power while on duty and absolutely no power off duty.

Comment

Originally posted by cadetcode3 View Post
                According to your post, you live in Southern CA. You should look into Probation Department. They are hiring like crazy right now. The academy is very very very easy. The academy is only 6 weeks long. I am in the fourth weeks now. They used to call it youth counselor, but now they change the job title to Deputy Juvenile Correctional Officer. You actually get a badge and have limited power while on duty and absolutely no power off duty.
                I like my job /shrug though I won't do it forever, just until I land a Police Officer career.

Comment

Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoote85 View Post
                    I just got hired at a juvenile facility. Been on the job about a month now. It pretty much sucks to be honest. Kinda sucks since I was in the background process for 6 months. The hours suck with 5/8's instead of 4/10's or even better, 3/12's like my last job. The kids are 90% horrible scum. The policy is way too strict and basically caters to them exclusively because they're minors, yet they have just as worse charges as those in county jail. . . I'm anxious to see how much longer I last before I try to find something else, but so far, it's been pretty rough. . . Anyway as you can see I'm very biased at the moment, so hopefully someone else will have a more "balanced" opinion on juvenile corrections. But take my two cents for whatever they're worth to you?
                    What are you policy's that make it that bad? The only thing I despise is the Administration but other than its not that bad for me. I have a ton of patience and I hardly loose my cool so working with kids is a cinch for me.

Comment

I'd dig ditches for a living before I'd work in a youth joint.
                      YOUTH PRISONS SUCK. Do not do it.

Comment

I volunteer at my facility for many months before i started to apply and work for them. Those kids have some serious issues. I dont know about other juvenile institutions, but at ours, we only accept serious felony. Everyone has the HUG-A-THUG mentality. Those kids have more rights than us.

Jfoote85
                        I am amazed they let you start working before you finish your academy. Our academy supposed to be 6 weeks long but they add a bunch of extra stuffs to it. Now it is almost 8 weeks long.

Comment

Originally posted by cadetcode3 View Post
                          I volunteer at my facility for many months before i started to apply and work for them. Those kids have some serious issues. I dont know about other juvenile institutions, but at ours, we only accept serious felony. Everyone has the HUG-A-THUG mentality. Those kids have more rights than us.
                          That's sad we do have some hug-a-thugs programs, but once they are in my dayroom my rules. We have serious offenders with multiple felony charges and sadly they usually act the best. I don't put up with the Juveniles bull****, if you act out you sit in your cell for the whole damn day.

Comment

Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

I left the prison system and worked with Juveniles for about 2 years and couldn't wait to get back into Adult Corrections. The policies, and attitudes of the public when dealing with them is "oh they're just kids" so you are very limited in what you can and cannot do, CPS gets involved all the time, your supervisors are out to get you for anything that might make them look bad, etc.

I can knock one out and all I have to do is fill out some paper, and go on my merry way now. Do that to a juvenile and you are looking at a CPS and internal investigation, threatened suspension or termination, etc. even if you were justified.

I will never again work with juevniles.......I have way too much fun as a CO.
                              the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6259 users online. 346 members and 5913 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X