300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need CO's Opinions

Hello all. I was hoping to get some honest answers. I'm 23 almost 24 years old. I have wanted to be a Police Officer for a long time. I currently have 5 years of Private Security under my belt and hoped to make the gradual transition to Law Enforcement. As I get older I'm starting to lean more toward being interested in a Corrections Officer Career. I currently live in Ohio applied last month with the Department Of Corrections and Rehabilitaion. I just want to know honestly is it a good job and career choice? Especially if you work for the Ohio Corrections Department let me know what you think. I value everyone's input because you're the ones doing it everyday. Thanks.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

I left the Wisc. DOC as a Captain after 27 years. I enjoyed my time in corrections, and don't regret the time I was with them. Like every job, there are days when it's boring or routine, but unlike most jobs, you'll run into something new just about every day. You'll be exposed to the worst that society has to offer, and some in law enforcement will look down on your chosen profession, yet few will do what you do. Depending on the prison you work at, you'll see more action in a month than most many police officers see all year. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Coming from a person around the same age I say go for it. If you plan on going to college or going to Patrol then working in corrections will help.

For going to college, most places help pay for classes. Also some colleges will accept your training as credits. You need to clear that up with college though as all schools are different.
      Ever feel like you live in the state of confusion?

Comment

Peanut, like so many jobs there are good points and bad points.After 18 years
        I don't regret my time in corrections. I have found job satisfaction to be based on what you put into the job. If you do choose corrections DO NOT fall into the hate trap, hate requires way more effort than you are payed for, just do your job as well as you can and remember you work to have a life, not to let work become your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut
          Hello all. I was hoping to get some honest answers. I'm 23 almost 24 years old. I have wanted to be a Police Officer for a long time. I currently have 5 years of Private Security under my belt and hoped to make the gradual transition to Law Enforcement. As I get older I'm starting to lean more toward being interested in a Corrections Officer Career. I currently live in Ohio applied last month with the Department Of Corrections and Rehabilitaion. I just want to know honestly is it a good job and career choice? Especially if you work for the Ohio Corrections Department let me know what you think. I value everyone's input because you're the ones doing it everyday. Thanks.
          It's not a job you could look at someone and say "Hey, you'd make a fine correctional officer". It's not like that man, you will not be able to tell if you'll be good at it or not until you jump in and get your feet wet and hands dirty. Thats the thing with corrections, you can't fake the funk very long, the inmates will chew you up if you try and the truth will come out on you anyways, either you can do it or you can't, and noone can tell until they just get in and do it. Good luck man, it's an interesting ride.
          "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight"

- General George Patton Jr

Comment

Where 90% of the people you will deal with in prison are criminals, 90% of the people the typical police officer deals with are honest citizens.
            "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Originally posted by ajack
              Peanut, like so many jobs there are good points and bad points.After 18 years
              I don't regret my time in corrections. I have found job satisfaction to be based on what you put into the job. If you do choose corrections DO NOT fall into the hate trap, hate requires way more effort than you are payed for, just do your job as well as you can and remember you work to have a life, not to let work become your life.
              Now I haven't been at it as long as some of these guys and gals.I only have 7 years on the job. And like ajack said there is good and bad. Just show up do your job the best you can and try to have at it. Best of luck to you in whatever you do.
              It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Comment

Its a great job and the department is excellent. We have a strong union, and great benifits. Depends on the institution you are trying for.
                "Losers give excuses...Winners make it happen"
                1/*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3346 users online. 208 members and 3138 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X